Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Don't Nurse in a Moving Vehicle - Even if Buckled!
1  2  Next

Tova

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 5:22 pm
Copying what I posted in the CIO thread:

Nursing in a moving car is not safe.
See this article:
http://thecarseatlady.wordpres.....ving/

See her facebook post on Aug. 14th where she clarifies that she is talking about even when both mom and baby are buckled:

Clarification: today's post is talking about the dangers of nursing in a moving car while mom and baby are BOTH BUCKLED UP. Most people know it is dangerous to nurse in a moving car if mom and/or baby are unbuckled - but few people realize how dangerous it is even if mom is wearing her seat belt AND baby is buckled in his car seat.

https://www.facebook.com/TheCa.....ef=ts

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 5:33 pm
had I not read it on a different thread, I would never imagined that there are people here who would do such a thing. it just SOUNDS dangerous.

Zehava

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 5:42 pm
Thanks for the guilt trip. And I don't see how it's possible to nurse w baby in car seat

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 6:06 pm
Of course its dangerous...seriously you think we are all idiots here?

Giving your kid a bath without a seat is also dangerous, as is crossing the road, riding in a car without being strapped in, waving a knife in the air and driving too fast!

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 6:11 pm
OK I haven't even read the article yet so I can't comment on the actual content, I just want to say that my back is killing just trying to IMAGINE how it could be possible to nurse a baby while both mother and child are in the proper seat restraints. I don't think it works with physics and anatomy as I know them.

Tova

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 6:12 pm
chocolate chips wrote:

Giving your kid a bath without a seat is also dangerous, as is crossing the road, riding in a car without being strapped in, waving a knife in the air and driving too fast!

It was being touted as safe in the thread I referenced.
I don't think anyone here is an idiot.
Anything else?

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 6:15 pm
Tova wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

Anything else?
Ok sorry I didn't realize it people were actually saying its safe...I guess there are some stupid people amongst us.

My point was that many things are dangerous but unfortunately sometimes people do it in certain situations.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 6:42 pm
Yes, I do cross the road in certain situations Wink

(Never attempted nursing while driving. Not sure if I could even figure it out, though I have seen others do it.)

sky

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 7:33 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Tova wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

Anything else?
Ok sorry I didn't realize it people were actually saying its safe...I guess there are some stupid people amongst us.

My point was that many things are dangerous but unfortunately sometimes people do it in certain situations.

I actually never thought nursing a baby in a car seat was dangerous while I was buckled (I never tried it but know people who did). What were your reasons for thinking it was dangerous before reading this article?
[I once did nurse a unbuckled baby while stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam at the Canadian border where we moved about 1/2 a mile during those 3 hours (with 3 screaming kids under the age of 4, great memories LOL) . I didn't have a choice, and we weren't really moving.]

Peanut2

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 7:37 pm
Ahm, if mom and baby are both in the back seat, baby in the center, and in a rear facing infant seat, I can totally see how it's doable.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 7:40 pm
I really wouldn't have thought it was dangerous. And I must admit, it never occurred to me to try it. I like the idea of nursing a baby to sleep while in a parked car, with baby strapped in. Too often, the baby starts wailing even after being nursed when I try strapping her in.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 12:48 am
a bath without a seat? how do you use a seat in bath?

Inspired

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 2:05 am
People have different anatomy. If you aren't leaning on the baby I can't see how it is more dangerous than interacting in any other way with the baby. It is dangerous to drive with a screaming baby in the car too.

Inspired

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 2:08 am
Tova wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

Anything else?

I didn't tout anything as safe.
I was answering a question about what I have done, personally.

Goody, now there are 2 threads about my saggy breasts!!

merpk

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 3:30 am
'Sokay, Inspired. I was able to do it, too (nurse babies in a car seat without having to shift myself too much and without leaning over the baby).

Could tandem nurse in bed while laying on my back, one nursing-child on each arm, too.

I do miss the perky ones of my youth, but I've learned that saggy ones are a gift, too. :-)

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:34 am
I used to nurse with both me and baby strapped in. Not sure why it is so dangerous. The baby and mother she sites as dying in a a crash while nursing were NOT strapped in.

I'm curious if there are any instances of a car crashing with a mother and baby nursing while buckled, and what the result was.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:49 am
Raisin wrote:
I used to nurse with both me and baby strapped in. Not sure why it is so dangerous. The baby and mother she sites as dying in a a crash while nursing were NOT strapped in.

I'm curious if there are any instances of a car crashing with a mother and baby nursing while buckled, and what the result was.

Did you read the article? She explains it all.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:52 am
Ruchel wrote:
a bath without a seat? how do you use a seat in bath?

They make special little open seats to go in the bath, for babies who try moving too much in the bath otherwise. Personally, I think bath seats are more unsafe than not using them. Parents can have a false sense of security when a child is in one, and turn their back or even leave the room. There is nothing inherently unsafe about bathing a baby without a seat.

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:53 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Did you read the article? She explains it all.

she does, but if she could have come up with examples of this happening she would have. So obviously it is incredibly rare. Although women nursing like that is probably very rare.

shnitzel

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 11:38 am
The article has no actual studies or proof that it is dangerous. She writes about how dangerous it is with a buckle on and then proves it with a heart wrenching story of a mom who killed her baby by nursing in a moving car and tacks on the fact that neither were buckled at the time. I t is common to anyways be leaning over a baby to soothe them in the car. Having any u restrained item in the car is likely many more times dangerous and how many people put their diaper bag and all the toys and food in the trunk. I think a more practical post would be about the dangers of mirrors or toys that parents use in cars.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics