Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What is the latest you've had a child walk
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 10:41 pm
My DD is 18 months on Sept 9....so that is coming up....and she cruises and climbs but no walking yet. No standing alone either.
I dont know why she isn't going for it. She will walk if I hold both her hands, but if I let go of one, she goes down to her knees and crawls. She is afraid....but she'd getting old! She should be starting by now. She's been doing what she does for months now...

Ashrei

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:04 pm
She'll be fine. Smile

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:07 pm
Ds also walked at that age. He cruised for many many months. He gained 4 lbs and was up and walking like a pro.

cbsmommy

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 12:15 am
It's 100% normal to start walking anywhere between 9 and 18 months.

That being said if you are coming on imamother anonymously and posting because you are concerned, then I don't want you to feel brushed off. If your mommy radar says 'why is she still scared' listen to that voice! She's your child and you and your DH know her the best. If you feel that something might be "off" and you live in the US call EI. The initial eval is free and they can assess if maybe DD needs certain play activities that can act like PT and help her develop muscle strength, if she needs to gain 4-5 pounds (which goes back to muscle strength) or if you just need to wait it out. The eval doesn't hurt her, it's play based not scary medical or intimidating -- she'll think some fun friends with cool toys came over for an hour.

Happy Go Lucky

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 12:54 am
18 months.

Marion

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 1:02 am
20 months...DS#3...and it was worrying. He had several PT evaluations and everyone said there was no structural reason for the delay...just he was perfectly happy to be carried everywhere.

We'll see.

sarahd

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 4:32 am
My kids all walked at around 14-15 months, except my youngest, who is 16 months old now and just started pulling himself up. I don't expect him to walk till he's closer to two, and neither does my pediatrician.

Last edited by sarahd on Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

rachel91

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:02 am
[quote="cbsmommy"]It's 100% normal to start walking anywhere between 9 and 18 months.

That being said if you are coming on imamother anonymously and posting because you are concerned, then I don't want you to feel brushed off. If your mommy radar says 'why is she still scared' listen to that voice! She's your child and you and your DH know her the best. If you feel that something might be "off" and you live in the US call EI. The initial eval is free and they can assess if maybe DD needs certain play activities that can act like PT and help her develop muscle strength, if she needs to gain 4-5 pounds (which goes back to muscle strength) or if you just need to wait it out. The eval doesn't hurt her, it's play based not scary medical or intimidating -- she'll think some fun friends with cool toys came over for an hour.[/quote]

I walked at 8 months...im not normal:) as for my kids I only have one that walks so far..she started at 9 months, but I think until the age of 18 months you shouldn't be too concerned. I was at the doctor yesterday and there was a child there 17 months and also not walking yet. e1 is different, the ones who walk later can start talking earlier and so on.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 7:37 am
My oldest starting walking at 19 months. I thought it would never happen!

applemartini101

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 7:47 am
DD #1 started walking at 9 months.. So when DD #2 still wasn't walking at 18 months I was REALLY nervous. I brought her to her pediatrician and he said as long as she's cruising and standing up.. I shouldn't worry.. She ended up walking at 21 months!!!!!!

zigi

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 9:15 am
we are going on 21 months, 2 steps then goes down. if I barely hold his hands he can walk down the hallway. I do think its fear. he has pt

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 10:09 am
if you live in ny or the us why ont get him evaluated for pt? NY early intervention is amazing, plenty of kids qualify even though they are prob fine without it too - the thing is we don't always know which kids REALLY need it and which are fine without so your baby meets the critera, and not walking at almost 18 months he mostly likely will meet the criterea (my baby was approved for mostly because he wasn't walking even younger than yours in NY) then why not get him evaluated? yes it's normal, and yes it's late, I wouldn't be too concerned but I would see if I could get him EI..

abby1776

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 10:57 am
My daughter never crawled. She hopped on her tush. We had her evaulated at 18 months and she started physical therapy and walked by the time she was 2. This was in Monsey where everyone is evaluated and everyone is a therapist.

zigi

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
if you live in ny or the us why ont get him evaluated for pt? NY early intervention is amazing, plenty of kids qualify even though they are prob fine without it too - the thing is we don't always know which kids REALLY need it and which are fine without so your baby meets the critera, and not walking at almost 18 months he mostly likely will meet the criterea (my baby was approved for mostly because he wasn't walking even younger than yours in NY) then why not get him evaluated? yes it's normal, and yes it's late, I wouldn't be too concerned but I would see if I could get him EI..

my son has ei, he got only a drop. we are trying to increase everything

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 1:13 pm
My baby is 14 months and standing up and cruising along everything. He stands up on his own for a couple seconds at a time. I asked my doctor who said its normal and I should not be worried. In my family, all my siblings walked by 12 months. (earliest was 8 months) I hope my baby walks soon!

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 1:24 pm
first walked with shoes at 8 months then next walked close to THREE, another one at nineteen months...
each at at their own pace,,

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 2:09 pm
You have to know your child.
My dd starting walking at 21 months but I wasn't worried at all. She was physically and mentally great b"h, and she did take a step here and there so I knew she CAN do it. She was just scared and it took her a lot of time.

I'm not the one to run for therapy, and she b"h didn't need it.
Now at 3, she runs fast and jumps around all day Baruch Bashem!

pearswood12

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 2:36 am
My daughter didn't walk until she was 26 months! Yes, you read it correctly - 26 months! We used to call her "shuffle bum" because she shuffled on her bottom. That was 33 years ago. She is now 35 with 6 children of her own . They were all crawlers and walked much earlier than their mother. I hope this alleviates your worries a little. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mummy-bh

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 3:06 pm
None of my kids walked before 13 months. My latest was six weeks away from her second birthday. She crawled at 15 months, then walked on her knees from around 19 months. Suddenly at 22.5 months she just one day stood up and started kicking a ball around with her older sister!

amother

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 9:42 pm
Thanks everyone.
My other 2 walked at 15 months exactly. Now baby is 18 months and yes, she is def scared but I guess I can call ei and see what happens. My pediatrician said muscle strength seems fine but that was a few months ago and still no walking, no change even, just doing the same cruising....
Thanks for all the input!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics