Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Molescum contagiousium
1  2  3  Next

Tila

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:39 am
Does amybody know how it is transmitted?? I know through bathing and rubbing up against the aera, but is it transmitted through mucus and sharing cups etc?? My neice and nephew have it and were over the other day, and I am a bit concerned.

smiley:)

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:54 am
I worked in a dermatologist's office and he always said it could really be through any contact... most often in the bath, but also just through touching. He said it's not something to worry about, it doesn't hurt. It is very contagious but it does go away with time - sometimes a while.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:55 am
My daughter has Molescum contagiousium. I was very nervous that my son had gotten it as I still bathe them together and BH he didnt (its a virus and not everyone will catch it if their immune system is strong enough to fight it off). I took dd to a dermotologist and he used acid to "burn" them off. It didnt hurt her in the least bit and shes been going every three weeks for treatments. Shes down from 20 bumps to three and hopefully shell be finished with it soon.

Dont be too worried , it is not spread through sharing cups etc but through contact, with the skin or clothing or towels that have rubbed on it. but if you do notice and bumps take her right away to a dermotologist its easier to treat before it spreads.

smiley:)

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:00 am
The dermatologist I worked with was SOOOO against burning it off. He had much research and living proof to back up that it DOES go away with no treatment, and in many cases (and I can tell you it to be true from personal experience not with molluscum, but with warts) that it often leaves a scar when it is burned off, and even when it doesn't it often comes back. When you just let it go, it goes away with time. By the way, it sounds really nuts, and he knows it, but he said for those of you that are interested, he did give a prescription for warts but said the thing that works most, and it is proven through research, is positive thinking. If anyone is interested I can give you the shpeel he used to give. But basically to believe it will go away and it will.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:03 am
my daughter had them "burned" off with acid. She has absolutely no scarring. My dermotologist only treated her because they were spreading quickly, if they hadnt been he probably wouldnt have.

miriam

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:45 am
We had a great way of treating them!!! Pour a bit of rubbing alcohol on a tissue and wipe the area. Let it dry. Do this a few times a day til it goes away. The alcohol dries them out. It doesn't hurt and it didn't return, BARUCH HASHEM.

ChavieK

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:37 pm
Quite a few of my children had them. The standard treatment used to be removal. Now they just leave them unless there is a very large number & spreading fast. They all went away. I continued to give them baths together because I found they were no big deal & the like the baths.

cindy324

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:22 pm
One of my kids had some , too, oh her neck. They took about a year to dissappear , but my ped. said it might take that long.

Didi

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 6:53 pm
My daughter has them for aobut a year and ahalf now, when I treated them, they came back in droves. They finally had started to slow down, when She got them again. I was told by my pedi it could take up to 2yrs to get rid of them

malky800

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:18 pm
I'm going to bump this up.
anyone around now still has this.
my daughter has this going on from 3 years now, although originally we were told average goes away in 9 months. they tried burning them off and they came back right away, and despite the extreme pain the first time we tried again a few months later with a double failure.
now I'm trying to figure out if this severe rash that she has with it, is from something else that I should perhaps get checked out, or do people get it for so long?

kitov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:22 pm
I first treated it with Aldera cream, very expensive. Then a doctor offered to try Zantac. Clueless how the two come together, but it miraculously cleared all of them, on a few of my kids affected!

malky800

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:30 pm
is aldera a cortisone?
I found the creams I try all help temporarily. It clears the rash , and then as soon as I stop using it, the redness all comes back.
I'm not concerned as much about the pimples as much as the rash that she gets with it , that bothers her so much.

kitov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:33 pm
I have no idea. Maybe google it or ask your dr.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:38 pm
The aldera cream, while extremely expensive was the only thing that really worked for us. 2 out of my 3 kids got it (and they weren't the two that I bathed together). We tried blistering them off, but that was painful and not so effective, although it did seem to keep so many new ones from popping up. The cream worked great, we went through one application process (don't remember how long) and then they didn't come back B'H.

It's not a cortisone cream. It's an auto-immune type cream, often used with skin cancers, just happens to also work on mollescum.

Anon b/c my kids would FREAK if they knew I was sharing this.

smlev

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:38 pm
I have had much success treating them on my ds with tea tree oil. I put the tea tree oil on a q- tip and then rub over the molescum twice a day. Within a few weeks the smaller ones were gone. The larger ones have taken longer but eventually do disappear as well.

kitov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:40 pm
One thing to mention about aldera, you need to be ULTRA careful when applying, the cream shouldn't touch the surrounding skin. It becomes red and burnt like and painful. Try a q-tip.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 11:03 pm
My daughter has it too.

She had like 3 or 4 on her side and arms, and it spread and became like 20. We had them burnt off with that cold stuff 2 months ago but 4 of them came back, so we went to burn them again. But the doctor foudn one on her knee and one on her neck and we did those too.

It turns out that using a little bit of emla numbing cream or lidocaine REALLY helps. I plan on using it again if we have to go back.

Gnmn

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:53 pm
Bump?!

malky800

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:29 am
Do you have a specific question?

srbmom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:04 am
Quote:

I have had much success treating them on my ds with tea tree oil. I put the tea tree oil on a q- tip and then rub over the molescum twice a day. Within a few weeks the smaller ones were gone. The larger ones have taken longer but eventually do disappear as well.

Both my kids had this and I used your advice. It was gone in two weeks! And my DS's legs were covered in them. For those looking for ideas I would definitely try this first.
Thanks smlev!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics