Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Are you a celebrity junkie?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:08 pm
Question

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:13 pm
nope, if I were I'd never get to work each day as I'd get stuck a the entrance to the tv studios 40 metres from my front door...but I see kids waiting for autographs every day, it is very odd to me.

Or am I missing the point, was I being asked if I'm in celeb rehab? I'm not btw.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:31 pm
shoeboxgirly wrote:
Or am I missing the point, was I being asked if I'm in celeb rehab? I'm not btw.

No LOL , you weren't missing the point.

I also don't understand the hype. Whenever read any of that garbage, I just read it to read something, not because it's interesting.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:57 pm
Nope. Couldn't care less. I suspect that celebrity junkies, like designer-label junkies, lack self esteem and feel that by involving themselves in the lives of celebrities they acquire a smidgen of their glory for themselves. You know all there is to know about Oprah, you must be Someone.

Why care about celebs? They for sure don't care about you!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 2:51 pm
zaq wrote:
Nope. Couldn't care less. I suspect that celebrity junkies, like designer-label junkies, lack self esteem and feel that by involving themselves in the lives of celebrities they acquire a smidgen of their glory for themselves. You know all there is to know about Oprah, you must be Someone.

Why care about celebs? They for sure don't care about you!

Now that you said that, who's going to answer Twisted Evil ??

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:11 pm
There's always the amother feature, yo'ma. That's what it's for.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:13 pm
zaq wrote:
There's always the amother feature, yo'ma. That's what it's for.

There isn't any in this section, but it's really not important, it was just chit chat.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:32 pm
This reminds me of a local talk show host's riff when Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston broke up. To hear the talk, you'd think the world came to an end. One great line was, If this could happen to them - and they have it all - what hope is there for me?!?

Confused

I think that we're coming to all this from a totally different perspective. We have perspective. Sure, someone here might confess to this being a guilty pleasure, wholesale or maybe just a couple of celebs they follow, but they know it's nothing more.

I hope.

(Anyone ever read the Donald Westlake book Trust Me on This? I read it years ago, don't really remember it, just that it was a hilarious take on behind the scenes at the tabloids.)

Fox

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:39 pm
Well, yes and no.

I can't imagine actually going out of my way to meet a celebrity or anything of that nature. My son attended yeshiva in Calabasas for several years, and he regularly ran into people at Walgreen's. However, as he explained, proximity to celebrities is more likely to get you knocked over by paparazzi than anything else. Once he and his roommate barely escaped being run over in the parking lot because they foolishly went to Walgreen's at the same time as Britney Spears.

On the other hand, I kind of like reading People, even though I know longer know who most of the "people" are.

I'm especially interested in celebrities or entertainers who have done unusual things.

For example, does anyone remember Lyle Waggoner from the old Carol Burnett show? Well, he had kind of maxed out his acting chops, so he was looking around for other opportunities. While working on Wonder Woman, he learned that the producers were paying a rental fee for his on-set trailer. He asked, "If I owned the trailer, would you pay me to rent it?" They said, "Sure, why not?" So he started buying trailers and renting them to production studios, and his company is now the top dog in the business.

Or Bobby Sherman (and woe to any of you young things who ask, "Who's Bobby Sherman?" Next you'll be asking, "Who's David Cassidy?"). Having risen to his level of incompetence in both acting and pop music, he became an EMT, and although he's now retired, he became the moving force in the California Highway Patrol to provide more emergency medical training to state troopers.

Or Peter Wingfield, who dropped out of medical school to act, had a very successful career in the US and Britain, and then went back to medical school.

Or Burt Ward, who played Robin on Batman in the 60s. He and his wife run a highly-regarded shelter and rehabilitation program for abused dogs.

Obviously, there are plenty of ordinary people with more interesting and unique stories than these, but nevertheless, I'm always impressed by people who, despite having gained a certain level of success in one field, are gutsy enough to do something completely different.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:55 pm
Fox wrote:
Well, yes and no.

I'm especially interested in celebrities or entertainers who have done unusual things.

For example, does anyone remember Lyle Waggoner from the old Carol Burnett show? Well, he had kind of maxed out his acting chops, so he was looking around for other opportunities. While working on Wonder Woman, he learned that the producers were paying a rental fee for his on-set trailer. He asked, "If I owned the trailer, would you pay me to rent it?" They said, "Sure, why not?" So he started buying trailers and renting them to production studios, and his company is now the top dog in the business.

Or Bobby Sherman (and woe to any of you young things who ask, "Who's Bobby Sherman?" Next you'll be asking, "Who's David Cassidy?"). Having risen to his level of incompetence in both acting and pop music, he became an EMT, and although he's now retired, he became the moving force in the California Highway Patrol to provide more emergency medical training to state troopers.

Or Peter Wingfield, who dropped out of medical school to act, had a very successful career in the US and Britain, and then went back to medical school.

Or Burt Ward, who played Robin on Batman in the 60s. He and his wife run a highly-regarded shelter and rehabilitation program for abused dogs.

I would just like to say that I got all your ancient pop culture references besides Peter Wingfield. Haven't heard of him. I like the rest of the story.
(BTW, a few months ago I started a thread RIP for the guy who played Juan Epstein. I should go update that for Ron Palilo....)

rae gi

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 4:05 pm
Juan Epstein died????

Fox

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 5:36 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I would just like to say that I got all your ancient pop culture references besides Peter Wingfield. Haven't heard of him.

Bless your heart! It's hard enough living with teenagers who are clueless regarding Bobby or David. And I believe I previously mentioned the severe transgression of one of my DDs, who, when Davy Jones passed away, said, "Ma, what was the big deal about a monkey dying?" I did not make her get out of the car and walk, but I briefly considered it.

Peter Wingfield was every geeky girl's celebrity crush in the 90s. He was on a lot of sci-fi programs, etc.

Peter Wingfield

Zehava

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 5:59 pm
I am clueless about bobby and David. And proud of it. Now shoot me

Fox

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 6:03 pm
Zehava wrote:
I am clueless about bobby and David. And proud of it. Now shoot me

No, you don't get shot -- just "woe."

LOL

Zehava

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 6:04 pm
Wink

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 6:54 pm
Fox wrote:
"Ma, what was the big deal about a monkey dying?" I did not make her get out of the car and walk, but I briefly considered it.

LOL

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 7:08 pm
As a teenager I liked reading people and US weekly, totally trashy and no interest anymore, but I can understand why reading about celebrities appeals to some people.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 7:34 pm
rae gi wrote:
Juan Epstein died????

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....t=rip

And Peter Wingfield a 90s icon? No wonder. My frame of reference sort of ends in the 80s.

rae gi

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 9:26 pm
Thanx pinkfridge. Sad. He had great timing & obviously enjoyed his role.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 9:45 pm
I think the advent of Twitter has taken celebs off their pedestals. Every actor is now accessible, you can read about their daily goings on from your own computer monitor.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics