Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
You know it's deadly, right?
1  2  Next

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:29 am
To put a rear facing car seat in a front seat with an air bag?
It is pretty dangerous to put any [child sized] child in a front seat with an airbag, but in a rear facing car seat, it pretty much guarantees the baby's neck snapping if the air bag deploys- even in a minor accident.
Why do people not know this? It is very prevalent in Israel, where when I try to explain it to parents they look at me like I crazy where many say "kareet aveer?" They don't even know what an airbag is. How do you drive a car and not know that?

ETA. I know that it is possible to switch off an airbag. I usually stop people and strike up a conversation when I see this and never, ever has anyone told me that they have the air bag turned off. FTR.

Last edited by Inspired on Wed, Aug 29 2012, 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:34 am
Inspired, I hate seeing cars seats like that and I see it so often in Israel. We should start an actual campain to stop parents from doing this. It always makes me cringe when I see this.

grace413

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:36 am
I am also bewildered by this.

Don't forget the other stuff: people driving with kids in their laps, people sitting in the front passenger seat with kids in their laps, people putting 5 kids in the back seat(meant for 3).

cinnamon

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:43 am
In a lot of cars you can easily switch the air bags on and off for when you have a car seat in the front seat. I do that a lot when I have a new born. Maybe thats what all those people do? (at least the ones who know about air bags...)

Liba

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:47 am
My car I can also easily switch the airbag off if I need to. Rule of thumb is best protected child in the least protective seat, so passenger seat (with the airbag off) is where I would put the rear facing seat if I had three kids in the backseat in just seat belts, boosters or forward facing car seats.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 7:16 am
cinnamon wrote:
In a lot of cars you can easily switch the air bags on and off for when you have a car seat in the front seat. I do that a lot when I have a new born. Maybe thats what all those people do? (at least the ones who know about air bags...)

I have stopped many people when I see this and start up the conversation. I used to start with "Rak rotza livdok she nitakta hakareet aveer" and they looked at me like I was speaking chinese. I switched to "Zeh misukan" and I always get "ma??" Like, the baby is in a car seat what could be bad. Most know nothing about the mechanics of airbags or don't know what a kareet aveer is bichlal. I have NEVER had anyone answer me "Ani yadaat, Nitaktee ha kareet eveer". The couple I stopped today the wife was smirking like "crazy lady" I opened up the door to show them the picture, it was in the door well, and the husband said, "az zeh omer shezeh misukan?" they asked what could happen if the air bag opened I said, chalilah, I don't even want to say, just look at where it is and where the baby's head is. The husband asked "from where does the air bag open?" so I showed him. They looked really confused about the whole thing.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 8:16 am
what about having kids piled in the backseat totally unbuckled! my dh has told ppl off for this before. I realized that Israelis in general don't really respect the laws of nature. Like dh explained to s/1 that when the bus is traveling at 60 km/hr YOU are traveling 60 km/hr & that's why we wear a seat belt. the guy was like "so I'll hold onto the bar" dh said your arm would get ripped off & you'd still continue on! or they don't understand that there is inertia & a train CAN NOT stop. even if there is a car in its path.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 8:22 am
People just dont' know. I think not so long ago ( a decade or two ago) many cars didn't have air bags. In fact, I think I recall being told with my first children, that putting them in the front seat, facing backwards, is ideal..! And I did it with the first two or three.

I honestly think an ad campaign is needed here to raise awareness. People just don't know. The ad campaign 'A child doesn't cross alone till he's 9' worked great IMO - we need something along those lines.

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 8:50 am
Table is right. I remember before car seats at all. We used to put the babies in the basket of their carriage that was removable, lying on the back seat. Kids who could sit, sat on the floor of the back seat or the floor of the front seat. Then they got car seats which were not mandatory and so you put kids in that when they could sit. Babies still went into their carriage baskets.

My kids didn't know from boosters either, they didn't exist.
Today b"h it all exists but as you wrote people don't know how to use them sometimes.
And then there is a serious question. How many kids here in EY have been put in baby seats facing the wrong way or in the front with air bags and those bags have deployed and injured or hurt kids? Maybe it is so rare in actuality that people don't know about it because it almost never happens in fact?

Dont' know, just asking.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 8:53 am
people in israel who don't own cars but use them occasionally may be less aware of this then someone who has a car full time.

tizunabi

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 8:54 am
I have friends who turn off the airbag. I have other friends who have a car so old that it doesnt have airbags.
We can turn off the airbag really easily, but since we only have 1 kid, he sits in the most protectes seat, rear middle.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 9:33 am
Interesting article about why air bags kill people (babies, children and small women).

eta link:
http://articles.chicagotribune.....ury/2

Last edited by Inspired on Wed, Aug 29 2012, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 9:36 am
You don't have to see what happens to know that you shouldn't be doing it. It says it on every car seat, in the manual and on the car. Choosing to be ignorant can be dangerous.

and criminal.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.c......html

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 11:21 am
moms are not educated about these things before leaving the hospital with their newborns?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 11:25 am
candyheart wrote:
moms are not educated about these things before leaving the hospital with their newborns?

No, at least not in NY. All they ask is that you can't take the baby out of the hospital until you show a rear facing car seat, you prove you know how to buckle the kid in and that's it.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:32 pm
Fabulous wrote:
candyheart wrote:

No, at least not in NY. All they ask is that you can't take the baby out of the hospital until you show a rear facing car seat, you prove you know how to buckle the kid in and that's it.

Actually in everything I read in books and online throughout my pregnancy they said they'd check in the hospital and you couldn't leave without a properly fitted car seat, but then I was shocked that they didn't check at all! And I delivered in a big NYC hospital with a strong reputation, yet a lot of much less educated people also deliver there and I am not at all confident that they would have their baby as securely strapped in as I did despite no one checking up on us. They did see us take the baby out in an infant seat but they didn't look closely at it at all, not even closely enough to see whether she was strapped at all. And they certainly didn't check to see us put it in the car correctly; in fact they basically abandoned me at the elevator and I had to fend for myself, but that's a different story altogether...

What I don't get is how people know so little, sure we need awareness campaigns and all that, but in addition all car seats come with instructions, isn't anyone READING them?! And even if you don't read the whole instruction book, there are still those stickers with pictures on the seats...? I'm sure some people are getting old secondhand seats whose instructions are all worn off and probably have their own safety issues just due to being so old but I don't think that's the majority. Maybe in Israel where not as many people have their own cars but certainly not in the US, seems like almost everyone has a new or almost-new car seat for at least their first baby.

Siiiiigh.

Actually this thread has inspired me. I don't know anything about Israel but I think now I'll go write an article about car seat safety and the lesser-known aspects of it and send it out to the American magazines.

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:46 pm
Look the bottom line is that active educated people who are aware of things in general are usually aware of this issue as well...and all the rest...well they are all the rest.

I see my middle daughter who bought a car this year. She is still single but one of her conditions is that it would be the kind where she could turn off the airbag in the passenger seat and on the side just for that reason, so that it would be possible eventually to put a baby seat rear faced in the front seat when she was driving. So there are people who are just savvy and aware because they are those kinds of people...and there are others who aren't.

But you are right that it should be publicized.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:49 pm
Interesting. I delivered in a large downtown Chicago hospital who insitsted the car seat be brought to the room
in order to leave.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:49 pm
I don't think I can turn off my airbag easily but it doesn't bother me, I put the baby in the back seat. No problem. You just have to know so you can do it right. By the time the backseat is full IY"H it will probably be time for a new car anyway... ours is not so young but B"H still healthy enough!

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:54 pm
Fabulous wrote:
candyheart wrote:

I have NEVER seen anyone in new york put ANY car seat in the front seat. That's a huge ticket and probably points off your license. you have to be at least 12 to sit in the front seat.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics