Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
You know it's deadly, right?
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:56 pm
also- children that are not in a car seat or booster= ticket PER child that is not seated correctly and points off your license PER child- so it can literally mean you can lose your license if you are driving let's say a car pool of kids that are not seated legally.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:18 pm
You still have people using seats improperly, though. Not as badly as what others are describing, but you see kids over the weight limit for their seat, strapped much too loosely, turned forward facing too early... granted forward facing in a good seat at 1 year old is still a world better than unrestrained or in an airbag seat, but it would still be nice for people to know the best practices for safety.

grace413

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 2:07 pm
My kids are big but I've accompanied a friend to tipat chalav several times and they have big signs explaining about car seats and airbags.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 2:26 pm
grace413 wrote:
My kids are big but I've accompanied a friend to tipat chalav several times and they have big signs explaining about car seats and airbags.

Good to know. I haven't seen that in my local TC, but that is a good resource. I emailed b'terem to ask if there are any campaigns about this. I will IYH ask TC next time I am there.

lst

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 2:59 pm
Inspired wrote:
grace413 wrote:

Good to know. I haven't seen that in my local TC, but that is a good resource. I emailed b'terem to ask if there are any campaigns about this. I will IYH ask TC next time I am there.

I've spoken to B'terem-they say they go around in hospitals explaining the importance of carseats etc.. to new moms. There is definitely not enough awareness. I can list so many things that I see on my yishuv. People don't even know (or care?) that carseats expire. So many people have these old old carseats forward facing up front. I once saw an old infant rf carseat up front, in a forward facing position-how would you even buckle that?!?! That is just the tip of the iceberg.

I've printed out information from B'terem's website and have given printouts to my neighbors. Most of them thought I was nuts, and haven't changed anything. I wish there were also a way to make new carseats more affordable.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 3:31 pm
A car seat is infinitely cheaper than a car. I cannot wrap my brain around people who have cars yet don't own car seats in this day and age.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 4:48 pm
The front car seat thing is not prevalent here in NY. I guess because it's against the law so people know about it.

But what is prevalent is that people do not know that car seats have to be thrown out after 6 years or after a car collision. Yes, people look at me like I'm crazy when I say anything, and tell me I'm buying into the manufacturer's scams in order to keep buying their new car seats.

Sigh.

How can we get the word out there?

lst

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 4:58 pm
Inspired wrote:
A car seat is infinitely cheaper than a car. I cannot wrap my brain around people who have cars yet don't own car seats in this day and age.

I completely agree with you...it's just an answer I get sometimes when I tell people that carseats expire.

I try so hard with my various neighbors, and I worry every time I see kids bouncing around a moving car, carseats in the front, etc. I hope these people never have to learn the hard way...

eatingbagels

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 5:02 pm
Is there a way you ladies can get your local politicians to make laws about it? Apparently that's what works for people. You'd be shocked how quickly people learn when there's a risk of a fine.

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 1:28 pm
While we are on the topic of kids in cars, please remember to always take your kid out of the car with you. http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 8:31 pm
candyheart wrote:
moms are not educated about these things before leaving the hospital with their newborns?

I don't know why but this question reminds me of Matilda. At the beginning of the movie you see her parents and her brother walking from the hospital, swingin the car seat back and forth and then the father takes the seat, throws it in the trunk (of the station wagon) and as they drive home up and down bumps etc you see the car seat flying side to side. Really funny but not. lol.

First of all many cars have the option to turn of the front air bag especially so that car seats can be put there or young kids can sit there. Then there are some cars that you can turn it off but you can't drive while its turned off (random I know).
Some cars do not even have air bags at the front passenger seat (older models).
Some people don't know about this "rule" and others, sadly ,don't care.

Its a sad world out there.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:35 pm
I have never in my life seen a car seat in the front seat!

imamiri

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:12 am
seeker wrote:

What I don't get is how people know so little, sure we need awareness campaigns and all that, but in addition all car seats come with instructions, isn't anyone READING them?! And even if you don't read the whole instruction book, there are still those stickers with pictures on the seats...? I'm sure some people are getting old secondhand seats whose instructions are all worn off and probably have their own safety issues just due to being so old but I don't think that's the majority. Maybe in Israel where not as many people have their own cars but certainly not in the US, seems like almost everyone has a new or almost-new car seat for at least their first baby.

Siiiiigh.

No! People don't read! And the booklet that comes with most car seats isn't exactly written in very technical language or that long. It's laziness. Have you ever taken a look into most peoples cars? Kids in car seats with straps so loose you could shove 2 kids in there. Chest clips at stomach level.

So many people are so dumb they don't even use their own seat belts.

shanie5

Post Sat, Sep 01 2012, 11:27 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I have never in my life seen a car seat in the front seat!

I have had the infant seat in the front-when the back was take up with toddlers and other children and there was no airbag. I once went for a car seat check-where police officers help you make sure the car seat is in properly. The officer asked me why the baby was in the front and I explained-he understood and accepted it.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:42 am
I totally don't get it either. Someone borrowed my car this summer to drive up to the country and when they got there it didn't make.sense to me how mny people fit. So I asked but I don't understand how you all fit. So this lady answers me that she held her 2 month old baby on her lap the whole way but don't worry she was under a blanket so we wouldn't get a ticket like that was my concern. To tell you the truth if I knew she was going to do this I would not have lent them my car. Its one thing for an adult to sit in the back seat unbuckled but to not have a newborn baby properly secured??? Talk about careless!!!

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 4:08 am
eatingbagels wrote:
Is there a way you ladies can get your local politicians to make laws about it? Apparently that's what works for people. You'd be shocked how quickly people learn when there's a risk of a fine.

it is the law, but poorly enforced. we have a friend who is a volunteer police man & boy does he slap on the tickets for things like this!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics