Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What type of car seat is your 4 year old in?
Previous  1  2  3

sky

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 9:45 am
My 4 year old buckles himself into a 5lb harness. But he cannot unbuckle himself (I guess that is a good thing) so I need to go in the back and do that for him.

My boys weight over 40 lbs at 4 years old, does that mean they could really be in a booster at that point?

I was able to fit 2 car seats and an infant seat in the back of a Camry. It is tight, but doable. We had it like that for almost 2 years.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 9:49 am
sky wrote:
My 4 year old buckles himself into a 5lb harness. But he cannot unbuckle himself (I guess that is a good thing) so I need to go in the back and do that for him.

My boys weight over 40 lbs at 4 years old, does that mean they could really be in a booster at that point?

I was able to fit 2 car seats and an infant seat in the back of a Camry. It is tight, but doable. We had it like that for almost 2 years.

As long as they are still within the height, and weight max, the car seat is the safest option.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 11:12 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
I wish my almost 4 year and 5 year old could be in 5-point harnesses, but I can't fit them plus and infant seat in my car, so they have been in high back booster seats, with a loop for the seatbelt to be positioned lower. I have a Radian Sunshine and was looking forward to using it but I can't fit it along with another 2 bigger car seats in the back. The only advantage to the booster seats is that the kids can buckle themselves in sometimes.

The Combi Coccoro is the narrowest convertible car seat I've come across, so that might work in your 3-across situation.
I doubt her bigger kids would fit in it too, and it may or may not be skinnier than the infant seat...
3 across are hard, but honestly, I think car seats are easier than boosters where you have to wedge your hand between seats!

I'd aim for a Coccoro for the baby, Radian for the 4 yo, and then see what fits for the 5 yo.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 11:15 am
mommy24 wrote:
Wow, I am impressed with all you, where I live its 80 or 8 years old to still be in a booster.

BH, my kids that are 7 and 5 are still in boosters, but are itching to get out like their friends. my 3.5 year old, would never stay in a 5 pt harnessed car seat, I tried but at 3 she was unbucking while I was driving, so I decided that a booster was better for her, she wanted to be like her older siblings who sit in a booster. So she uses the high back booster, never just the bottom alone.

do those who have your 5 yr olds in carseats, do you ahve older kids? do the younger ones never unbuckle themselves? also how do you fit so many carseats in the car, as it is we already overcrowd the 8 passanger van with out my 5 or 7 yr old being in car sets. (we are a family of 9).

oh and this is why I refuse to carpool, unless I know its someone who will absolutley buckle my kids and use boosters.
Yes, my 4 yo has two older brothers...
Unbuckling means stopping. Also some seats are harder to unbuckle than others -- the Nautilus I found was harder for my kids to unbuckle than the Chase...
I have an 8 seater van, family of 7.
I have 3 across in the middle row, and 2 in the back on either side.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:05 pm
sweet wrote:
My 4.5 year old is in a high back booster with a slot for the seatbelt.
I see lots of you still use a full carseat.....

Maybe its the cheapskate in me, but why would I buy a booster, when my car seat is still good?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
I wish my almost 4 year and 5 year old could be in 5-point harnesses, but I can't fit them plus and infant seat in my car, so they have been in high back booster seats, with a loop for the seatbelt to be positioned lower. I have a Radian Sunshine and was looking forward to using it but I can't fit it along with another 2 bigger car seats in the back. The only advantage to the booster seats is that the kids can buckle themselves in sometimes.

The Combi Coccoro is the narrowest convertible car seat I've come across, so that might work in your 3-across situation.
I doubt her bigger kids would fit in it too, and it may or may not be skinnier than the infant seat...
3 across are hard, but honestly, I think car seats are easier than boosters where you have to wedge your hand between seats!

I'd aim for a Coccoro for the baby, Radian for the 4 yo, and then see what fits for the 5 yo.

I have a Ford Taurus so a little smaller than a Camry. The seatbelts are definitely annoying and I would need to have identical car seats for the 4 & 5 year old or else they have another thing to fight about. Already they fight about who sits next to the baby. And can't afford another Radian right now, they are quite expensive. We've had this arrangement for about a year already so going back to 5-point harnesses is not going to work for my bigger two but hopefully I can keep the baby in a 5-point harness for longer than they were.

sky

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:10 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

I have a Ford Taurus so a little smaller than a Camry. The seatbelts are definitely annoying and I would need to have identical car seats for the 4 & 5 year old or else they have another thing to fight about. Already they fight about who sits next to the baby. And can't afford another Radian right now, they are quite expensive. We've had this arrangement for about a year already so going back to 5-point harnesses is not going to work for my bigger two but hopefully I can keep the baby in a 5-point harness for longer than they were.

we also did it in a Ford Camry - 3 across - for 2 years. I found getting the buckle in for a booster impossible and didn't move my oldest to a booster until we needed\got a van.
But once a kid is in a booster there is no going back.

mommy24

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 5:24 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mommy24 wrote:
Wow, I am impressed with all you, where I live its 80 or 8 years old to still be in a booster.

BH, my kids that are 7 and 5 are still in boosters, but are itching to get out like their friends. my 3.5 year old, would never stay in a 5 pt harnessed car seat, I tried but at 3 she was unbucking while I was driving, so I decided that a booster was better for her, she wanted to be like her older siblings who sit in a booster. So she uses the high back booster, never just the bottom alone.

do those who have your 5 yr olds in carseats, do you ahve older kids? do the younger ones never unbuckle themselves? also how do you fit so many carseats in the car, as it is we already overcrowd the 8 passanger van with out my 5 or 7 yr old being in car sets. (we are a family of 9).

oh and this is why I refuse to carpool, unless I know its someone who will absolutley buckle my kids and use boosters.
Unbuckling means stopping. Also some seats are harder to unbuckle than others -- the Nautilus I found was harder for my kids to unbuckle than the Chase...

what kind of van do you have? Maybe my carseats are really wide? We have tried over hte years and have never been able to fit 3 across our odessy middle row.

either way it makes no difference my 3 yr old gets out of anything but I will look into a different RF car seat for my 1 yr old

sweet

Post Sat, Sep 01 2012, 9:30 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
sweet wrote:

Maybe its the cheapskate in me, but why would I buy a booster, when my car seat is still good?

Because my 2 year old is in the car seat. ( cosco scenera)..
Did you buy a new car seat for each child?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 9:38 am
sky wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

we also did it in a Ford Camry - 3 across - for 2 years. I found getting the buckle in for a booster impossible and didn't move my oldest to a booster until we needed\got a van.
But once a kid is in a booster there is no going back.

Yes the buckling is INSANE! Sometimes when it's 100 degrees and the middle seatbelt gets jammed, and I can't find where to insert the seatbelt, and I'm leaning over my kid who's getting annoyed at me so he starts screaming, I feel like cheking into a mental hospital, lol, LOL .

But I'm glad I'm saving money with each month I push off getting a van so I make it worth it in my head.

Glad to meet others in the 3-carseats-in-the-back-seat club Very Happy

GingerSpice

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 12:34 pm
sweet wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
sweet wrote:

Because my 2 year old is in the car seat. ( cosco scenera)..
Did you buy a new car seat for each child?

Besides for the infant seat, yes. Unless they are at least 4 years apart you would need too imo.

Mine is in the britax marathon.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 10:47 am
mommy24 wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mommy24 wrote:

what kind of van do you have? Maybe my carseats are really wide? We have tried over hte years and have never been able to fit 3 across our odessy middle row.

either way it makes no difference my 3 yr old gets out of anything but I will look into a different RF car seat for my 1 yr old
I specifically got a Sienna instead of an Odyssey because of the 3 across situation. (I wasn't even pregnant with my third, but I knew it would be an issue.)

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 2:21 pm
My 4 year old is in a radian 65, so is his 7 year old sister. Much safer than a booster since he still falls asleep in the car and that way I know he is always sitting the right way and protected.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics