Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Convertible carseat

chatouli

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 11:06 pm
I need to buy a new car seat for my 7 month old who is getting too tall for his infant seat.

I had always intended to get the Radian b/c of its narrow base and high weight limit, but I have read that it is very very tall. That presents a big problem for me because the rear window of my car is very small and if the seat back goes up too high I am really compromising visibility. My 2 year old is in a Britax Marathon and that is too tall. Another one like that would be pretty dangerous.

So any recommendations for a narrow, not as tall, comfortable seat that rear faces? Bonus if I could buy it at Babies R Us since they are doing that trade-in. If not, Buy Buy Baby is ok b/c I have a coupon.

Thanks!

bananasplit

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 11:26 pm
Babies r us has the evenflo symphony 65e3

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 6:05 am
Cosco Scenera.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:27 am
How long do you plan on using it? I want to give you the best limits for your needs with the lowest shell height if possible.

chatouli

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:48 am
I need to use it for about another year and a half or two years (until DS1 can go into a booster).

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 10:23 am
I'm not sure which Marathon you have, but I assume the overall height is about 27".
I just looked through many different seats (Scenera, Evenflo Triumph, Safety 1st Complete Air, Radian ST XL, True Fit...) and the only one I can find that is shorter is the Britax Roundabout...it only goes to 55 lbs and isn't the Britax of choice for many because of its small size, but that might be exactly what you need.
It's 26" overall.

chatouli

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 11:03 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm not sure which Marathon you have, but I assume the overall height is about 27".
I just looked through many different seats (Scenera, Evenflo Triumph, Safety 1st Complete Air, Radian ST XL, True Fit...) and the only one I can find that is shorter is the Britax Roundabout...it only goes to 55 lbs and isn't the Britax of choice for many because of its small size, but that might be exactly what you need.
It's 26" overall.

Thanks, HY!

I like the height of the Roundabout and may well go with that. The Evenflo Symphony was also appealing but I think it will be too wide. We want someone to be able to sit in the middle between the two car seats.

Also, the wings on the Symphony are pretty intense, how can a baby see anything except the backseat? My baby really needs something to look at or he cries and cries in the car. We have a toy on the handle of his infant seat and I'm afraid of what car rides may be like once he doesn't have something to look at and play with.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 11:20 am
The total height of the Symphony is actually 30" with the base...not sure it would work for you that way either!

chatouli

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 11:26 am
whoa, definitely not!!! I looked up the Marathon that I have. It was retired three months after I bought it (which may account for the good price I got!) and it's 27.5".

So, Roundabout it is, I hope it's comfy for my sensitive little guy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 11:59 am
The fabric/padding should be quite good on the Roundabout, Britax is not cheap in that way Smile

SivanMom

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 12:52 pm
In my minivan right now I have a Marathon, Roundabout, Evenflo Triumph Advance and Cosco Scenera. The Roundabout is nice, and if the height works for you, I would definitely go with that. My Marathon will expire before my son goes near the 65 limit, so the 50 limit would have been fine (though my daughter is heavier so who knows?). You mentioned that your older one is 2 - you should expect to keep him/her in a carseat far longer than 4 years, most 4 year olds are not mature enough to sit in a booster.
Before you do the babies r us trade in, check prices online. I have never once found that a price with the trade in is cheaper than online, they usually have far higher prices to begin with. I bought my Roundabout 50 for $100 on clearance at target, but that was a really good price.
Another thing to try out with the Roundabout is how it fits RF in your car. It's a pretty big carseat. The scenera is much slimmer for RF, but it's not a great car seat.

chatouli

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 1:57 pm
Thanks, SivanMom. I can't do the trade-in on a Britax anyway because only certain brands are eligible (I believe it's Evenflo, Cosco, Safety First, and Graco, none of which have seats that meet my needs). I looked online and they all seem to be ~$150. So I will just use a coupon and can get 20% off from Babies R Us. Better than nothing!

Thanks for the tip about keeping my two year old in a carseat for longer. He is almost three and very tall for his age so I had assumed within a year and a half he'd go to a booster, but if it's a maturity question then I'm sure he'll stay in the carseat as long as other children do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics