Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
FOOD STAMPS. Feel free to ask Eligibility Worker any questio
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
I hope boni is still around to help cuz I can really use the help right now!

I am earning way below the required income for a family my size (7) but I never actually applied for food stamps because I thought I would not pass the asset test because of the tax refund that gets deposited into my account- which is a sizable amount because of the eictc- and it slowly disappears over the course of the year. now I read that somebody mentioned previously that tax refund is counted as resources- is that true?

also another issue- our main source of income is from an institution that does not pay on time or consistently. I could go three months without a check (although officially I get paid every two weeks) think a yeshiva that is struggling Smile so instead of constantly paying interest on my credit cards and going on overdraft on my accounts- my father created an account of his money that I am able to access if I need to- sort of like a slush fund, the money is not mine- is it considered mine (with regard to assests) being that I have access to it?
I am not a FS worker but I am a person who has received FS for over 2 years so I think I can answer your second question.

I was the second name on a saving account for a relative. I was not the primary account holder but there was over $30,000 in this account and I could take as much as I wanted with an ATM card that was in my name.

Because I was not the primary name on this account I did not have to list it as my asset.

shirtsandskirts

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 11:48 am
I didn't read through all of this so I apologize if it was already answered, but does a pregnant woman count as two people? does my family size go from 3 to 4 if I am pregnant?

I live in NY.

Thanks.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I am earning way below the required income for a family my size (7) but I never actually applied for food stamps because I thought I would not pass the asset test because of the tax refund that gets deposited into my account- which is a sizable amount because of the eictc- and it slowly disappears over the course of the year. now I read that somebody mentioned previously that tax refund is counted as resources- is that true?

also another issue- our main source of income is from an institution that does not pay on time or consistently. I could go three months without a check (although officially I get paid every two weeks) think a yeshiva that is struggling Smile so instead of constantly paying interest on my credit cards and going on overdraft on my accounts- my father created an account of his money that I am able to access if I need to- sort of like a slush fund, the money is not mine- is it considered mine (with regard to assests) being that I have access to it?
I am not a FS worker but I am a person who has received FS for over 2 years so I think I can answer your second question.

I was the second name on a saving account for a relative. I was not the primary account holder but there was over $30,000 in this account and I could take as much as I wanted with an ATM card that was in my name.

Because I was not the primary name on this account I did not have to list it as my asset.

I am getting FS. We don't have to mention assets at all. Just income, rent, expenses, etc..
I don't know why you think you won't get.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I am getting FS. We don't have to mention assets at all. Just income, rent, expenses, etc..
I don't know why you think you won't get.

Same here, we're helped with tuition too and never mention it, it's not our income. Also our tax refunds are not counted because they're not steady income either.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 3:40 pm
Can someone explain the asset rule to me? I thought that there is no asset test in NY, but when I try to apply online, I am asked for my liquid assets.

cb

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 7:52 pm
Boni, I pmed you

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 1:13 pm
How do I deal with a boarder - I have been told different things by different workers. Do I add her to the case? I was told not to, that the boarding money would be considered her income, but when I did what they said, they counted her income against me.

my parents currently pay dd's daycare costs - my mother says that that is something she is choosing to do, but can stop at any time, at which point I would be on the hook for it, and therefore I can claim the dependent care expense, because if she chooses to go ahead and pay that bill she can as she pleases. Is this true?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:51 am
Old thread, new question:
Let's say the income limit for my family size according to some chart they gave me is $3000. Is childcare deductible from that, e.g. if I earn $3400 at my job but pay $500 for childcare, am I eligible or not?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 11:29 am
Let's say that my income qualifies me, but sometimes my family gives me money to help pay bills (like car insurance) that I deposit into my bank account. is that going to be a problem?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 12:33 pm
Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 27 2016, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

busydev

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 12:37 pm
srw wrote:
if I(alone) make just under the requirement for household of 2 ppl and husband makes OVER the requirement(alone) and we dont file taxes together will I have a problem with my current supply of food stamps once its up?

if I dont work on the books and hubby does and makes OVER the requirement and we filed taxes together will they let me re-apply for foodstamps?

(We only get foodstamps on me bec my husband isnt a citizen yet)

im not an expert but I think it goes by household income regardless of how you file taxes. .

Peanut2

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 12:41 pm
srw wrote:
if I(alone) make just under the requirement for household of 2 ppl and husband makes OVER the requirement(alone) and we dont file taxes together will I have a problem with my current supply of food stamps once its up?

if I dont work on the books and hubby does and makes OVER the requirement and we filed taxes together will they let me re-apply for foodstamps?

(We only get foodstamps on me bec my husband isnt a citizen yet)

If you two make over the amount then you are not eligible.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics