Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tell me all about Lev Bais Yaakov!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 12:59 pm
What is their hashkafa like? Are they okay with parent-supervised TV, movies, internet?

What is their dress code/tznius chumras like?

I've heard they're a very warm school but not really up to par academically - is this true? DD is very bright and while I would love it if she didn't have tons of homework, I don't want her to be bored in school/smarter than the teachers.

What is the parent body like? Yeshivish, Litvish, Heimish? Are there any parents from chassidish backgrounds where the fathers wear shtreimels?

TIA!!!

Sherri

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:10 pm
Smarter than the teachers in ES? Smile

starry

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:15 pm
From what I know, the girls that go there, they have internet, watch movies, etc.
They are probably litvish people, although I'm not entirly sure. Overall, I'd say about half of the girls are more modern.
Again, I'm not sure, so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:17 pm
Sherri wrote:
Smarter than the teachers in ES? Smile

One of the schools I went to that had very low academic standards didn't really care about how intelligent the teachers were. Students corrected them all the time for spelling/grammar mistakes, pronunciation mistakes and sometimes even factual mistakes. I'm talking about middle school like age 13-14. (At about age 15 the girls realized it maybe wasn't so nice to correct the teachers. Wink )

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:30 pm
starrymom wrote:
From what I know, the girls that go there, they have internet, watch movies, etc.
They are probably litvish people, although I'm not entirly sure. Overall, I'd say about half of the girls are more modern.
Again, I'm not sure, so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Thanks! Could you elaborate on what you mean by more modern? More modern than what?

starry

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:40 pm
Like some might where skirts above the knee. Most of them probably where knee-length skirts. Not like short-sleeves. I think. Because I know a few girls mothers, and that's the way they dress when I'm by their houses

sweet

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:43 pm
It's more modern, as in very similar to prospect.
Your child would be very different if shes the ionly class mate who's father wears a shtrIemel.
It's also very deep into Flatbush, do you live in the neighborhood , otherwise it's a very Farr ride..

amother

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 8:53 am
OK, thanks for clarifying starrymom and thanks for the info sweet!

Are there any moms here who send to LBY who can chime in?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:53 am
this is going to be my first year sending to LBY. I can't tell you about the parent body,but I'm from marine park and my family is pretty frum. absolutely not modern at all. the other three parents that I know are also pretty frum. From what I hear, there is a mix in the school. And I'm okay with a mix. sorry I can't be more helpful. no one here that I know who wears a shtreimel and goes to LBY.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
this is going to be my first year sending to LBY. I can't tell you about the parent body,but I'm from marine park and my family is pretty frum. absolutely not modern at all. the other three parents that I know are also pretty frum. From what I hear, there is a mix in the school. And I'm okay with a mix. sorry I can't be more helpful. no one here that I know who wears a shtreimel and goes to LBY.

Thanks! I really appreciate your reply. I'm okay with a mix, too. I am struggling to find the right fit where my DD will feel comfortable, because while we are from a chassidish background, our mentality is more of a just-plain-frum one. I never wear skirts above the knee or that sort of thing. On the other hand I'm very very uncomfortable with the rules of the chassidish schools wanting 3 year olds to wear long skirts and tights, etc.

But I don't know how comfy she would feel in a shtark-litvish type of school because she would be the odd one out, coming from a chassidish background. So if there is a mix that could really be the best solution.

Any other mothers sending to LBY?

mom2girls4

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 7:21 am
I'm very very happy there. Its a great mix of girls and parent body. The building is new and beautiful. The teachers and staff are terrific. A friend of mine had her child evaluated by the board of ed and the observer said she normally stays in a class for 20 min for an evaluation but stayed in the LBY class for an hour because she was so impressed with how they were learning!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 8:41 am
mom2girls4 wrote:
I'm very very happy there. Its a great mix of girls and parent body. The building is new and beautiful. The teachers and staff are terrific. A friend of mine had her child evaluated by the board of ed and the observer said she normally stays in a class for 20 min for an evaluation but stayed in the LBY class for an hour because she was so impressed with how they were learning!

OP. Thanks for your answer! I too have heard great things about the teachers, staff and learning methods, so thanks for backing that up. The only drawbacks now are the distance (it would be a 20 minute ride, not including stops, and I don't want to be the one who has to drive her every day) and not knowing if there are any other chassidish background kids attending.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 7:02 pm
Can anyone tell me how much tuition is at Lev Bais Yaakov for kindergarten or pre 1A?

mom2girls4

Post Fri, Sep 07 2012, 4:11 am
Around 5,500 or so. Your best bĂȘtise to call and go down to have a look around

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 8:19 pm
Anyone know if this school would not be ok with accepting a child whose mother is divorced and doesn't cover her hair?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 3:31 pm
I'm bumping this up since I need your help. I need to make the final decision for dd for kindergarten. What can you tell me about Lev?

While I would love to have the warmth that I've heard about for dd, I am concerned about the education level and the hashkafa level.

DD is bli ayin hara quite smart. Is Lev's education a good solid education? Up to par with Masores and D'Rav Meir?

What is the parent body like? Is it more of a tv crowd? More of the above or at the knee length skirt type?
My philosophy is that it is easier to peel off a layer than to add a layer. So I would rather send dd to a school that is not too modern.

I'm torn. What are your thoughts?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 3:57 pm
From chassidish to LBY? Uh, okay....

amother

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 4:11 pm
What's the chassidish aspect that you are referring to? Why are you posting anon? I did because I have discussed the school options with many people and could very easily be recognized.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 4:24 pm
My oldest DGD has been there since kindergarten. She's a very bright girl, very curious, wants to learn. She is very happy there. Her parents are certainly not modern, but not crazy frum either but they do have a TV which has always been very closely monitored and the internet. They did their research and wanted to send her to a school that was academically challenging while still warm and caring. She's in 5th grade now and she calls us to tell us about what's happening in school frequently (she called us last night to tell us about her science test). We are also pleased with what she is learning. You will never know how it's going to be for her until she's there. And that goes for any school.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 4:40 pm
bubbebia wrote:
My oldest DGD has been there since kindergarten. She's a very bright girl, very curious, wants to learn. She is very happy there. Her parents are certainly not modern, but not crazy frum either but they do have a TV which has always been very closely monitored and the internet. They did their research and wanted to send her to a school that was academically challenging while still warm and caring. She's in 5th grade now and she calls us to tell us about what's happening in school frequently (she called us last night to tell us about her science test). We are also pleased with what she is learning. You will never know how it's going to be for her until she's there. And that goes for any school.

Thank you Bubbebia. That was informative. Do you have DGD in other schools, perhaps drav Meir or masores that you can tell me about? Those are the schools we applied to and were accepted. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics