Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO Best Knish Dough Recipe
1  2  Next

CatLady

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 8:18 am
Confession time: I've never made knishes in my life, and neither did my mom, so I have no family recipe to fall back on. I'd love to make knishes and totally impress my family for Rosh Hashanah.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true knish dough recipe? I'm looking for something more stretchy than flaky, if you KWIM, so I can do the traditional shape. I've googled a few contenders, but I trust you guys more than some blogger dude or dudette that I don't "know".

Thanks in advance!

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 8:42 am
YES! Overtime cook posted one that was EXCELLENT, it was my first attempt making knishes and I loved it, it was easy and fun to work with and very forgiving.
http://www.thespiffycookie.com.....cook/

CatLady

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:08 am
Thanks, seeker! If you had good results as a newbie, then I am sure that I will too!

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:16 am
It was PERFECT. And tasted great. In fact you reminded me that I should really make them again one of these days. Would be so nice for yomtov but I'm taking it easy now...

Smileygurl85

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 10:27 am
I am totally going to try that other recipe too! I'm a knish-a-holic!

If you want to try some with no eggs in the dough that make a yummy puffy-type dough then these are ah-may-zing! Smile

http://is-that-my-bureka.blogs......html

(I'm lazy - so roll & slice is nice.)

CatLady

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 10:51 am
That looks good, too! More importantly, the pics give clear instructions for making the dimple-top shape that I grew up with.

As for fillings, I am thinking of "going rogue" and trying mashed sweet potato, with diced red onion, garlic and sage. I'm also doing traditional potato ones, and maybe even playing around with eggplant, zucchini and peppers to create a ratatouille knish.

imamotherusername

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 12:20 pm
Yay! I was just on the phone telling s/o I wanted to make knishes and while I was still talking to her I glanced at the website and here it is!
Would I be able to use oil instead of marg in the is that my boureka website recipe?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 5:21 pm
Any challah or puff paste dough is fine. Full fat is better

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 5:37 pm
No, I find challah dough is very different. It doesn't stay thin and stick shut around a filling well. Not at ALL like the one I linked which will remind you of real deli knishes.

Smileygurl85

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:50 pm
I used to use puff pastry dough but it was never quite what I was looking for. It def works 'in a pinch' or last minute. Also it's not really doughy and there's just something special about the doughiness.

I've never tried it with oil, I'm guessing that it would work but that the dough would be less tender & flaky. (reference to 'good eats' - the best and nerdiest cooking show in the world.) basically, the butter/margarine in the recipe helps give the dough tiny pockets of moistness and lightness when the tiny chunks melt while baking. It's part of the magic that makes amazing pie crusts and biscuits. Smile

CatLady

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 6:45 am
Smileygurl, you had me at the mention of Alton! I Heart his show and wish the Food Network would make new episodes instead of churning out endless restaurant transformation shows.

I also agree with you that puff pastry and knishes are not mix-y things. In fact, I don't like puff pastry for anything, really, except for the fun of making it, which is actually my reaction to French food in general.

Here's an empanada dough recipe that sounds promising and got good reviews. The vinegar and egg yolk would make for a very tender dough.

Della

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:20 pm
Smileygurl85 wrote:
I am totally going to try that other recipe too! I'm a knish-a-holic!

If you want to try some with no eggs in the dough that make a yummy puffy-type dough then these are ah-may-zing! Smile

http://is-that-my-bureka.blogs......html

(I'm lazy - so roll & slice is nice.)

Just made these. They are delicious! I had to make another batch for Yom Tov because my kids want them for dinner.

Only problem: They did not come out as pretty as pictured, and the bottoms did not close up.

sunny90

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 2:22 pm
seeker wrote:
YES! Overtime cook posted one that was EXCELLENT, it was my first attempt making knishes and I loved it, it was easy and fun to work with and very forgiving.
http://www.thespiffycookie.com.....cook/

I made these but I found them a bit bland tasting...maybe I'll add more salt to the dough? I felt the dough overpowered the filling and was too dry. Maybe my knishes were too small.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 3:38 pm
sunny90, maybe you rolled the dough too thick. The dough is REALLY stretchy, I made them almost paper thin - about as thin as they could go without falling apart.

cookielady

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 4:33 pm
The best ever potato knishes - Spice and Spirit cookbook. Page 309. I have been making these for over 19 years. They are easy to make, freeze well and are delicious.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 7:26 am
1 C cooked mashed potatoes
1/4 C oil
1 tsp salt
~> Mix until fully smooth
3 C flour w/
1 tsp baking powder
~>Mix and make a well and add in
1/2 C. cold water

Knead until smooth, and let sit for 1/2 hour covered on a floured surface/bowl.

I flatten them in my hand, add a dollop of filling, and then close up, bake seam side down at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.
It's great with mushroom sauce on top.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 10:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
1 C cooked mashed potatoes
1/4 C oil
1 tsp salt
~> Mix until fully smooth
3 C flour w/
1 tsp baking powder
~>Mix and make a well and add in
1/2 C. cold water

Knead until smooth, and let sit for 1/2 hour covered on a floured surface/bowl.

I flatten them in my hand, add a dollop of filling, and then close up, bake seam side down at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.
It's great with mushroom sauce on top.

Thanks! I was looking for something good that doesn't call for margarine or eggs.

AZmom09

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 10:15 am
Here I am looking for a good knish recipe and now I cant decide which to use! You have three different ones here!

AZmom09

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 4:12 am
I ended up making these http://is-that-my-bureka.blogs......html
they looked so fancy and professional! I served them with mushroom sauce but honestly they tasted best with mustard. I might make a big batch and freeze them. I got 9 smallish sized ones and I sprinkled them with sesame seeds. Really easy dough to work with too and no mixer required!

CatLady

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 12:12 pm
I used that very same dough and it didn't have the "feel" I was looking for. Didn't stop my family from inhaling them like Electroluxes, mind you! I'm looking for a more stretchy, strudel-y dough. I'll let you know one I've roadtested other variations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes