Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Sewing Machine Recommendation?

imabima

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 7:46 pm
Does anyone have a recommendation for a sewing machine? Mine, purchased at Walmart 5 years ago for $80, just broke and I'm trying to figure out if I should get a more expensive one or go for another cheapo one.

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:49 am
Like everything else here on imamother, it depends. However, this is one thread in which asking your rav probably won't yield much good advice!

If you use your machine primarily for mending and simple sewing, I'd probably go the WalMart route again. Truthfully, the simple models have all the features that a majority of sewers actually need or use.

However, if you are interested in doing embroidery or a lot of high-fashion sewing, you might consider moving up. I've owned Husqvarna and Singer machines with embroidery capabilities, and both were good. I know other people who own the same models, and they've also had good experiences. Brother is also very popular.

The higher-level machines generally come with gazillions of decorative and specialty "stitches," and IMHO, this is not a reason to purchase a more expensive machine. Hardly anyone uses those stitches on a regular basis -- in fact, there are lots of books aimed at experienced sewers on the topic of "what can you do with all those stitches on your expensive machine."

Another thing to consider is getting the machine serviced: the more expensive models are computerized, and when something goes wrong, they need professional repair. You don't want a machine that has to be shipped to a service center; you want something that your local sewing machine vendor can service for you!

So, in short, unless you want to do embroidery, I'd stick with a WalMart model. You might consider moving up to an inexpensive model that allows switching feet, etc. If you plan to do embroidery, check out the brands sold and serviced locally, and also inquire about refurbished machines. You can often find a real bargain.

Hatzlacha!

imabima

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:59 am
Thanks Fox. That was very helpful! Smile

cm

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:04 am
Every time this question comes up, I give the same answer: The best place for sewing machine reviews is Patternreview.com. They have great message boards, too. For less-expensive reliable workhorse machines, I would recommend Janome (unfortunately Janome no longer makes Kenmore machines which were sold at a lower price point).

tzniutfashion

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 2:43 pm
I like my Brother (sewing machine and serger). The motor is quieter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains