Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Can you actually walk in a pencil skirt?
1  2  Next

imabima

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:12 pm
Just curious. They look like it would be difficult.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:15 pm
Go try one on for fun.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:17 pm
I think you need to be like a size 4, and its not a practical garment for living, working, doing errands, going about your business..

Its just look to look hot, but maybe thats just sour grapes on my part Sad

ekwonkblog

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:46 pm
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that between pencil skirts and high heels there is a conspiracy by someone to prevent women from being able to run away.

peppermint

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:49 pm
pencil skirt-no. straight skirt-yes

QUEENY

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:51 pm
I have stretchy ones that allow me to walk.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 4:59 pm
Depends on the length of your stride Very Happy

Yes, you can walk in them. Granted you can't walk in it the same way you walk in pants or a flowy skirt, but it's definitely doable. I don't think it has anything to do with looking "hot." I think it gives more of a "professional" appearance.

Happy18

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 5:54 pm
It depends on how they are cut. I have some with kick pleats they are easy to walk in. I have a few straight ones with no slip or pleat, not as comfortable.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 6:12 pm
yoshi wrote:
Depends on the length of your stride Very Happy

Yes, you can walk in them. Granted you can't walk in it the same way you walk in pants or a flowy skirt, but it's definitely doable. I don't think it has anything to do with looking "hot." I think it gives more of a "professional" appearance.

Pencil skirts are definitely about looking hot! (AND professional)

shnitzel

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 7:43 pm
Try sitting on the floor with a kid in one.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 8:16 pm
You can, provided the skirt is above the knee. If the skirt is below the knee, you can only mince. Which, if you're wearing the stilettos that are "supposed" to go with that kind of skirt, is all you can do, anyway.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. A century ago, the term was "hobble" skirt. Guess why?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 8:29 pm
actually, I can walk in one, and I'm well above a size four. I sew up the back vents. the trick is to have wide hips and to wear a size that is straight down from your hips, not a size too small that clings to your tush. I've definitely seen women who are narrow-hipped have a hard time with this. some materials will cling to your tush no matter what, but if you get a nicely structured lined skirt without any hint of spandex, your wide hips should give your knees enough leeway to walk comfortably. if you're of slim hips, you'll need a kickpleat or vent.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 8:56 pm
I think a lot has to do with whether you want it to be tzanua or not and in which fashion you plan on doing that. For example, if you were to buy a pencil skirt that is well above the knee, but plan on wearing it regardless, you do not have much of an issue since you are not restrained. Much. However, if you do plan on covering your knee or are wearing one for modesty purposes (which, interestingly, has been the purpose of the pencil skirt ever since tunics and draped tops, paired with sleek leggings or skinny jeans/trousers, were en vogue, and little pencil skirts worn as an alternative to their non-tzanua counterparts made the outfit look really good at best, comparable at worst) it's all about the WAY you plan on making that happen that can determine whether you'd be able to catch the bus in it. If there is a back vent in a nice, tailored pencil skirt, and you plan on resolving the issue by simply sewing down the slit, don't count on taking strides longer than six inches long, which may look a tad unprofessional, now that you think about it. Kick-pleating will give you more room in this instance. If you do buy the over-the-knee skirt and intend on lengthening it while still keeping the narrower-as-you-go-down look, well, you can wear it to shul but don't forget to switch into your slinky skirt after shemonah esrei as those will be the only steps you will be taking in that. And then there are the wonderfully comfy jersey pencil skirts, which are designed to have the pencil skirt silhouette, but are made with yummy, soft, oh-so-convenient materials which allow you to actually be able to move around in them, and are now available by many frum companies out there due to popular demand. Just please note that most of these are in fact MEANT to be worn exclusively under a longer tunic or super-short dress (interesting..) and that included in the makeup of these terrific skirts, many times, is SPANDEX, yes, the kind of stuff aerobics outfits are made of, and YES! they DO make your butt look big, why do you ask? and NO they are NOT tzanua so don't pretend that just because you've got that little tushy wiggling behind you covered by a SKIRT, you are perfectly FINE in regard to modesty, because the view from the back is perfectly NOT OK IN REGARD TO THAT!!!!!! whoa. just went waaayyyy off tangent. Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves LOL

But anyway, yeah, that.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 25 2016, 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

imabima

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 9:40 pm
Okay, well from these responses it is affirmative that my 5 second consideration of buying something "stylish"
is not happening! I'll stick to my a-lines! Smile

staten islander

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:22 pm
They are really expensive(IMO),but the NYDJ makes amazing pencil skirts that make you look a size smaller,are comfortable,come in colors and wash amazingly.

yksraya

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:29 pm
not all pencil skirts are too tight so you can't walk. mine are fitted but I have no problem walking or even running in them. it depends on your size and on the specific skirt. try it on before you buy to make sure it suits you.

Happy18

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:57 pm
shnitzel wrote:
Try sitting on the floor with a kid in one.

If you're going to need to sit on the floor don't wear one. I don't sit on the floor with children therefore I dont have this issue.

momx6

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 11:13 pm
Where can I find plus size pencil skirts in Brooklyn or online?

eschaya

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 3:52 pm
unless you get the teeny tiny tight ones, why not?

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 8:33 pm
Yup.
Stretchy ones, well fitted ones, pleat sewn slitted ones (not just sewn up slit because that prevents one from walking in many a skirt not just pencil)

and oh they are so hot and professional looking Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics