Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How was your son after a HERNIA surgery?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 2:52 pm
my son is having a hernia/hydrocil surgery soon.
how long is recovery? does it hurt them? how old was your ds when he went through it?

chefmommy

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 6:14 pm
my oldest son who is almost 13 had hernia surgery at age 4 my youngest had hernia surgery at age 3 months that was 6 years ago.
The worst is when they woke up from anestesia after that they were back to normal right away. For adults the recovery is longer but kids do very well quickly.

Good Luck and refua shleima!

Liba

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 6:17 pm
My son was sore and didn't want to move much without strong (codeine) pain medication the first several days. B"H with the medication we had to work to keep him from doing too much, but when it wore off he wouldn't even walk to the bathroom without looking like he was in major pain and barely moving his legs.

I hope your son's surgery and recovery is easy and smooth. It is worth making sure you have good pain medication on hand in case he needs it though.

I missed the age question before, but my son was five when he had his surgery, will be six when he has the next one IY"H.

Last edited by Liba on Thu, Sep 13 2012, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

chefmommy

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 6:17 pm
sorry I missed the question about it hurting them. The surgery does not hurt since they are sleeping but the hernia itself before the surgery really hurt they would scream so much the 3 month old needed the surgery earlier than expected because the hernia kept on getting stuck.

Dont worry he'll be fine and the scar is so small u could hardly tell.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 7:36 pm
My son recovered very quickly bH. It was a bit scary when he came out of the anesthesia, but he slept it off and was fine in the morning. The only problem we had was bad constipation from the painkillers they administered in the hospital. He didn't need painkillers when we were home, he was not in any apparent pain.

NYmommy

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 8:14 pm
DD was 2.5 when she had her hernia surgery. Was pretty grumpy when she woke up but was not in any bad pain. She didn't even need Tylenol or any other pain killers. Same night she was jumping on the bed... Kids recover pretty fast.

leah66

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 11:31 pm
A few years ago, my son was scheduled to have a hernia surgery just days after my father had had one. I couldn't sleep the night before because I saw my father was literally left bedridden and ended up being so for nearly a week. B"H my son healed much quicker and was feeling well enough to climb onto the table the next day! It's a bracha how resilient children's' bodies are.

My son was 2.9 yo. He was on pain meds and was unable to keep food down for 2 days.

gryp

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 1:10 am
My son was 14 months old. Although it feels like time stops for us, the procedure is actually very quick. Kids are very cranky and groggy when they are waking up from the anesthesia, so be prepared for this. It takes about 1/2 hr before they get back to themselves and calm down. When we came home from the hospital, we both fell asleep and when we woke up 3-4 hours later, he was jumping on the couches and pretty much back to himself. I was nervous but he was fine. He didn't need any Tylenol or anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics