Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Brookly BY classroom sizes.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 16 2012, 11:28 am
My 4 y/o DD just started kindergarten in a very reputable BY in Brooklyn. We did a lot of research and interviewed in several schools before we settled on this particular school. In all our research for some reason I never though to ask how many kids would be in my daughters class since I assumed that for the tuition that Brooklyn schools are demanding at the very least they would keep the student to teacher ration down to a minimum. In the first week of school I come to find out that my DD's class consists of 31 girls for one Morah and two teenage teachers assistants. The school had an explanation for why it happened that way and were very apologetic, which I appreciate, but I don't want my DD falling through the cracks. I'm considering switching schools after the Yomim Tovim and was wondering if anyone knows the student to teacher ration in the following schools kindergartens:

Prospect Park Yeshiva
Bais Yakov of Modwood
Masores

If anyone has any suggestions for other schools we should look into it would be greatly appreciated.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Sun, Sep 16 2012, 1:54 pm
Most schools have 27-29 kids in a class. [I]Just[/I] for Kindergarten (4 year olds) alot of schools have three classes with 18 kids in a class because of univesal Pre-k, but then combine them to two classes for the next year.
I think Bais Yaakov of Midwood has smaller classes.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 1:16 pm
BYBP has between 15 and 19 kids per class.

lost

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 5:22 pm
I heard that it was illegal to have that many (31) kids in one class in NYS. That there is some kind of a cap that schools aren't allowed to go over and I believe it's 24. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 5:34 pm
lost wrote:
I heard that it was illegal to have that many (31) kids in one class in NYS. That there is some kind of a cap that schools aren't allowed to go over and I believe it's 24. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Maybe public schools?
I doubt its illegal in private schools

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
My 4 y/o DD just started kindergarten in a very reputable BY in Brooklyn. We did a lot of research and interviewed in several schools before we settled on this particular school. In all our research for some reason I never though to ask how many kids would be in my daughters class since I assumed that for the tuition that Brooklyn schools are demanding at the very least they would keep the student to teacher ration down to a minimum. In the first week of school I come to find out that my DD's class consists of 31 girls for one Morah and two teenage teachers assistants. The school had an explanation for why it happened that way and were very apologetic, which I appreciate, but I don't want my DD falling through the cracks. I'm considering switching schools after the Yomim Tovim and was wondering if anyone knows the student to teacher ration in the following schools kindergartens:

Prospect Park Yeshiva
Bais Yakov of Modwood
Masores

If anyone has any suggestions for other schools we should look into it would be greatly appreciated.

Just curious Op how did you interview schools?

amother

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Prospect Park Yeshiva
Bais Yakov of Modwood
Masores

Just curious Op how did you interview schools?

OP here,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question. We spoke to people in our community to figure out which schools had hashkafas most similar to ours, we then sent out applications to those schools and went on interviews when they called us. While at the interviews most schools gave us a tour of their facilities and we settled on the one we did because it impressed us most. It also has a reputation for being warm and excepting which is what we were looking for. How was I supposed to interview the schools?

ntm1

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 10:38 pm
If you dont mind me mixing in but who and where is BY of midwood? is it just a preschool?

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 9:49 pm
BY Midwood is newish school, (couple years old I think), on Ave. L and E. 31st. Very small class sizes and I've heard excellent teachers. I think now they go til 2nd grade but they add a grade every year as the school grows.

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 10:19 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
lost wrote:

Maybe public schools?
I doubt its illegal in private schools

a LEGAL school has to follow REAL gov't rules. they do get gov't funding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers