Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
NEED HELP- freezing raw chicken that's been prepared/spiced

queen

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:22 pm
I'm making chicken stuffed with kishka.
I'm using fresh chix just bought from the butcher, and want to freeze it BEFORE baking. This way when I want to use them they'll taste fresh.

QUESTION:
How do I go about baking them when needed?
Do I defrost in fridge overnight BEFORE putting in oven?
or do I put them in frozen---- and then for how long do I bake???????????

Thanks

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:24 pm
isn't it unheatlhy to freeze meat with stuffing? I've always heard that.

also, frozn chicken has a taste change; I wouldn't do it.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:54 pm
is it cutlets or w/ bone?

I prep chicken and freeze all the time for catering. if its w/ bone, you can put it straight in oven and cook for xtra time, or defrost in fridge if you want to also.

cutlets-I think its better to defrost first and then bake.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:57 pm
I always prepare a bunch of chickens at a time and freeze, so that way I don't have to make every week. I just take it out of the freezer and put it in the oven- It always tastes just fine.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:58 pm
I also do this but always let ir defrost first. When you cook it frozen shanie5, what temp do you do & how long? Does it get dried out when cooking too long?

queen

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:51 pm
shanie5 wrote:
is it cutlets or w/ bone?

cutlets-I think its better to defrost first and then bake.

shani- it's chicken cutlets which I had the butcher 'butterfly' for me (pound in order to make thin)

Just that I und'd correctly- I should defrost the raw/prepared chix overnight in the fridge and then bake as normal- and it'll taste as if I just made the whole thing fresh?????

queen

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:51 pm
Sonniboni wrote:
I always prepare a bunch of chickens at a time and freeze, so that way I don't have to make every week. I just take it out of the freezer and put it in the oven- It always tastes just fine.

I've been doing the same. But seeing that I'm making chix today that I don't even need now.... am wondering why I need to double-bake it?

once now... and then again when defrosting....... which is why I'm here asking the above Q

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:35 pm
I don't double bake, I just prepare it with spice/sauce and then freeze. I only bake it when I will use it. but I never did it with chix. cutlets

Esther01

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 9:39 pm
always do it, this is what I do. I bake it when it's frozen. first I bake it covered so that it wont dry out. if you like it crispy then uncover it for the last half hour.

shanie5

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:09 am
chix cutlets-yes, I would defrost in fridge overnight and bake as usual.

as for 'regular' chicken, I bake mine normally for 2 1/4-2 1/2 hours. so if frozen, I would add 20-30 minutes to that time. (we like chix when its falling off the bone!!!!)I bake @ 350.

since my orders are sometimes for just one chicken cutlet, its not worth it for me to bread and fry just one, so when I order cutlets (usually 20 lbs+ at a time) I prep them, bread them and flash freeze. when frozen, I put into a zip-lock baggie, and store in freezer. then I either defrost in fridge overnight or in microwave (depending on how much notice I have beforehand).

Coke Slurpee

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:59 am
What's flash freeze?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey