Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Fall of the Sun God by Henye Meyer
1  2  Next

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 9:27 pm
Has anyone else read this book? I found it on Amazon and read it in one sitting - it took me 5 hours. I loved it and wished that it wouldn't have ended.
This book is set during the 11th Century. While it does include the Pilgrims/Crusades, the main focus of the story is on the capital of the Byzantine Empire in Constantinople.

It is about a 'tinok shenishba' and his long and torturous way 'home' to yiddishkeit.

This book is not quite as 'aidel' as Henye Meyer's other books; Exiles of Crocodile Island and This Is America (and doesn't have the '5 minute shidduch' featured at the end of the other two books.)
There is a lot of mention of pagan and xian worship, a lot of mention of swearing, although no swear words are actually used. Henye Meyer has obviously done a ton of research - from the Domesday Book in England to descriptions of the way plowing and weaving were done in both England and Constatinople.

The underlying messages of both of her other books is een here as well: Torah is th eikar and everything is in Hashem's hands.

Finally, despite the serious message of the story, this book is FUNNY! The dialogue actually had me laughing out loud a number of times,right up to its satisfying ending.

And one shout out to Scotty - thanks to you, I know what 'a real Xanthippe' meant when one of the characters was describing his wife. Cheers!

September June

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 10:49 pm
I have the book and read it once. As a whole I didn't like it, although I liked the it wasn't as aidel as her other books.
In the first chapter it's hard to figure out what's going on in the story.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 5:39 pm
Henye Meyer emailed me the following today:

Quote:
Would you be so kind as to thank the contributor who calls herself "chocolate fondue" for her
very kind review of my novel Fall of the Sun God? It's so little known that I get quietly excited when somebody discovers it - and of course, even more so when they like it.

Mrs. Meyer's not a member here, but of course this section is public.

Now I'm curious about the book. I must see if our Jewish library has it.

chocolate fondue

Post Sun, Jun 30 2013, 5:52 pm
Ooooh! You got an email from Henye Meyer?
Can you pm me her email address?
Actually, I think she's read my review of this book on Squidoo - or at least her husband did:
http://www.squidoo.com/fall-of.....meyer

Either way, I do love this book, and her other ones and I really hope she writes more!

penguin

Post Fri, Jul 12 2013, 5:08 pm
Henye is one of my very most favorite authors. The quality of her writing is so far beyond most of the 'frum' books out there today (apologies to any authors who are here, nothing personal!)

My theory is that only those extensively exposed to really high quality literature can write really well.

But I keep buying them all anyhow....

I am so glad Henye came out of 'retirement' (?) and wrote This is America. and I very much hope she offer us more.

(I enjoyed The Sun God. I think I found three things I would probably not want my teenaged daughter to read. I am not sure why they were included, but, of course, if the goal was not to write for the frum market that would explain it. I will probably read it again soon.)

zigi

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 10:41 am
sounds interesting. I really enjoyed this is america and the exiles of crocodile island was one of my favorite books as a kid

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:29 am
I just read Fall of the Sun God. The paganism with a Christian veneer in the surrounding cultures was really interesting. Many of the characters were multidimensional, including some "good" gentiles and imperfect Jews. Best for young teens. Definitely a book I would read first and then let the teen read -- a good book for discussion of Medieval Jewish history, what it meant to be a Jew when conversion or die might be your only options, being frum by choice (and what does it mean to be frum), and the concept of family.

zigi

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 11:31 pm
thank you so much for recommending it, I am really enjoying it. it doesn't read like a frum book. I enjoy the way she describes the atmosphere of the times. I am not sure about letting my son read it. they mention flirting with girls. I guess if he will be reading harry potter its not the end of the world but for a more sheltered kid I am not so sure.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 3:29 pm
I am reading it now. The first chapter I had to ask my husband who knows history to translate a lot of the words (and my vocabulary isn't too shabby!) -- there is NO way a 10 yo could read it and understand it properly. As the book goes on, it's easier, but it's still not light reading.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 9:26 pm
Bump.
Did you read it as an ebook?
where can I get it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:18 pm
Nope, I got the actual book in paperback. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....nk-20
Temporarily out of stock, but it sounds like they will restock. I got it a couple months ago on amazon...

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:31 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Nope, I got the actual book in paperback. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....nk-20
Temporarily out of stock, but it sounds like they will restock. I got it a couple months ago on amazon...

I had looked for it a few months ago and it was about $500..I'm assuming it's out of print?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:32 pm
No, it's in the $13 - $15 price range!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:28 pm
really weird. the hardcover is $496 and softcover $13!

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 7:59 am
The softcover is actually available on amazon for over $4000 used.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:09 am
I purchased my copy -- used but in excellent condition -- in July from a seller on Amazon for $14 including shipping. I didn't know I could make money from it as an investment!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 9:45 am
You can't, no one is buying them at those prices Wink

Brownies

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 11:40 am
I think I'd really enjoy this book but I live in the UK. Is there any way I could get it as an e-book? It doesn't seem to be available for Kindle as far as I can see. If anyone can help, thanks!

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 11:42 am
Brownies wrote:
I think I'd really enjoy this book but I live in the UK. Is there any way I could get it as an e-book? It doesn't seem to be available for Kindle as far as I can see. If anyone can help, thanks!

I didn't find it as an ebook. I tried.

Brownies

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 11:43 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Brownies wrote:

I didn't find it as an ebook. I tried.

Shame, thanks. Maybe I'll try the local library.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room