Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Discussing Hair Covering

amother

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 6:17 pm
I teach limudei kodesh in a left-MO high school. The kids have been asking me about hair covering (I wear a tichel, so it's obvious) and I intend to address it soon. The sources and why it's halacha are the easy part; the hard part is conveying to the kids that it's halacha without insulting their families. Very few (if any) of the mothers cover hair outside of shul, so I don't want to make it sound like their families are bad or wrong. These are shomer Shabbos, shomer kashrus families that are more modern and don't necessarily keep every detail of every thing. How can I explain hair covering in a sensitive manner given the background?

bamamama

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 7:01 pm
amother wrote:
I teach limudei kodesh in a left-MO high school. The kids have been asking me about hair covering (I wear a tichel, so it's obvious) and I intend to address it soon. The sources and why it's halacha are the easy part; the hard part is conveying to the kids that it's halacha without insulting their families. Very few (if any) of the mothers cover hair outside of shul, so I don't want to make it sound like their families are bad or wrong. These are shomer Shabbos, shomer kashrus families that are more modern and don't necessarily keep every detail of every thing. How can I explain hair covering in a sensitive manner given the background?

It's not halacha. There are MO rabbis who hold it's cultural.

Happy18

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 7:09 pm
This is a very dangerous topic to discuss in a classroom.

I suggest discussing this with the principal before teaching about this topic. Also before teaching what you discussed, send an email to the principal reviewing what you intend to teach and wait to teach it until after you get a response okaying it.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 7:41 pm
I second what happy18 said.

Are you MO?

What sources etc. do you plan on presenting?

You can PM me if you'd like to discuss them. I have taught this topic.

Make sure to include explanations for partial covering/head but not hair covering, as well as a halachic explanation for non-covering. Let me know - either here or PM - if you'd like to know the reasons or sources.

It's not a terrible topic to cover IMO, but like anything make sure to include different opinions.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:

Is this part of the curriculum that you were hired to teach? If so, then by all means, teach what you were hired to teach.

Otherwise, tell your students that its part of what you do, as a married woman, and if they want to explore the basis and sources of any obligation further, they should talk to their own rabbis, or (if approved by the administration), you will be glad to provide them with some sources they could explore. Make sure that the sources support ALL different halachic opinions, from no covering is required to you may not wear a tichel. And include sources and information about Judaism's move to the right on this issue, providing information like this photo of Rav Ovadia Yosef and his wife in the late 1940s, demonstrating that full hair covering was not the norm at that time:

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics