Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Medicating my sick child

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:07 pm
My 18 month old woke up from his nap with a fever of 104.7°. I gave him 125 mg. Paracetamol, and I just noticed that it's for babies up to one year, and he really could use a higher dose. His fever has dropped 2.5° after two hours and a lukewarm bath, but he is still lying around pathetically and moaning "Mama" every minute or two.

Anyone know if I can give him a dose of Motrin at this point, or can I perhaps give him a 150 mg. dose of paracetamol?

I know I should ask my doctor, but his office is closed now and I don't want to wait till it reopens later.

asp40

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:11 pm
Excuse me for being blunt.

Your baby has a temperature of almost 105 degrees. And he is lethargic and moaning.

You call your doctor now and get connected to him/her. Doctors can always be reached, call the office and have the emergency line connect you.

piegirl

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:14 pm
I would also call your doctor. they're usually good about calling back in emergencies.
When my baby had fever that high, his doctor told me I could alternate between motrin and tylenol every 3 hours.
refua sheleima!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:19 pm
I spoke to the doctor right after I gave him the medication and he told me that as long as his fever drops, I don't need to be unduly concerned. I will probably call again later if the temperature goes up again, but meanwhile I want to give him more stuff. I guess I'll try Motrin in an hour - thanks, piegirl.

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:23 pm
I always give Tylenol and Motrin together - works much more effectively.

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:01 pm
You are supposed to alternate between the two, actually, every four hours giving one or the other.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:10 pm
So I spoke to the doctor again and it turns out I only gave him half the dose of paracetamol that a child of his weight should receive. So I gave him another dose now and we'll see what happens.

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:22 pm
Refuah Shlayma, I also alternate tylnol and motrin and I have tylnol suppositories in case they vomit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics