Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job offer but feel like I'm abandoning my boss

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 10:47 pm
I just got a job offer. The place sounds great: better hours, better pay and the type of work is closer to what I want to do as opposed to where I am now.
The problem is I honestly feel like I'm abandoning my manager. 2 people quit recently and nobody has replaced them yet (no interviews on the horizon either) and 3 people will be going in maternity leave in the next two months. This means that by January, there will only be 3 of us (including me) working. And to put that into perspective, when I was hired a year and a half ago, I was the 8th therapist to join the team.
How do I even tell her that she's losing another person?

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:43 am
Sounds to me like a perfect opportunity to negotiate for a better situation. I would tell her that you got a great offer and you're very tempted to take it, but if she was willing to offer you x,y or z, you would stay. You could ask for more money, more flexible hours, pay for child care, whatever would make it worth your while to stay.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:54 am
It's nice tat you feel for others, but you have to do what's better for you in the long run. It kind of reminds me of when I was a dorm counselor/madricha, when I almost got engaged I kinda felt like I was abandoning my girls, but that way of thinking was so silly & I knew it. If you can, tell him you will wait till he finds a replacement or train someone in......but please don't pass up a golden opportunity.

grace413

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 10:25 am
Hate to sound cold and cruel, but do what's best for you.

Hard to turn down better hours and better pay unless there is something else in the equation. Let's face it, if your boss had to let people go, he wouldn't hold on to you for sentimental value.

Are you able to give a reasonable amount of notice?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:53 pm
my husband was laid off again last week. I told him to start looking six weeks ago but he was happy his boss was coming to work with him. she told him he was not in danger and then people over her laid him off. do what works for you

amother

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 7:25 pm
As a boss with employees myself I would suggest to leave. I always tell my employees that if they think they have a better opportunity then they have to think about themselves. Dont feel selfish (Do what your user name suggests!)

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 8:22 am
Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't really planning on staying for my boss' benefit, more like how I break the news to her?

busydev

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 10:15 am
Wow I could have written a good portion of your post a few months ago. I had a much better offer (better location and hours, more pay, better experience in relationship to my degree) and I was the only office worker and really felt like I would be abandoning my boss.

but while there is an inyan of job loyalty... personal/family loyalty comes first.

I had to break it to him and I basically told him that I applied for another position, and I was offered it and it has better hours, pay, experience and location (location was on of the biggest factors- since my new office is 2 blocks from my house). he said he would match on pay and hours. but being that pay wasnt the biggest factor and realistically I couldnt see the hours really being able to be cut, I told him that it wouldnt work, but that I would like to do everything in my power to ensure a smooth transition (since I ran the office (was a school business office) and was the only person there I really would have left him stranded.)

And so I wrote very detailed notes of my job description and have been going in to train my replacement (for pay tho) and am available for questions. tho I told him that any day that I give more then 10 minutes I get paid for until she is trained in completely. I also stayed on the job for as long as I could. while I was being trained for my new job I went part time to each place.

Lots of luck!

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 11:03 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't really planning on staying for my boss' benefit, more like how I break the news to her?

I just think you have to tell her straight "I've been offered another post and I think I am going to accept," then see how the conversation develops from there. You can then add that of course you will honour you notice period (if you will) and will do as much as you can to ensure a smooth take-over.

If applicable and if you can/ want to, you could offer to helping finding a replacement, even though it would absolutely not be necesary to do so.

You'll probably (and hopefully) find that your boss will understand. Business is business.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics