Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lotrimin for a diaper rash

lost

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 8:43 pm
My 17 month old has a persistent fungal diaper rash. I've been using nystatin on it but it barely helps and now I've run out all together. I have a ton of lotrimin in the house, the one in the yellow and white tube doctors prescribe for adults, and I've been told it's good for diaper rashes. Has anyone tried it?

miami85

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 9:03 pm
OOOOOOOH yes! All the time! We should by stock in it! When my kids get diaper rashes they are usually fungal! Not sure why they are so prone to them, we change them frequently. Lotrimin, Clotrimazole, nystatin. They all work the same. My pediatrician said that the main diff b/t the lotrimin/clotrimazole(--generic name) is that it can expensive whereas the nystatin can be a prescription--which if you have medicaid is covered. HTH!

sky

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 9:09 pm
My baby has had a fungus rash on and off for 8 weeks now. she has been on constant anti-biotics which have really been making it so much worse .

What I have found works best is giving her acidophiles daily or yogurt with live cultures, if I stay on top of it then it really makes a difference and I barely need the cream. I've also been smearing grape seed oil on the affected area (I don't know if it helps, but someone told me about it and I figured it can't hurt. I used the oil on myself along with vinegar and it helped clear up my case of thrush, from her, almost immediately)

When it was very bad her Dr recommended to get it under control, to switch off between nystatin and bactriban. I used each 3 times a day, taking turns between diaper rash. That at least got it under control.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 9:54 pm
yes. for a fungal diaper rash, as recommended by our pediatrician. worked great!

spring13

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 10:08 pm
Yes, I've used it and it absolutely helps. I've seen kids with horrifying yeast rashes getting loads of nystatin that doesn't seem to help, so no reason not to try something else.

you also might want to try plain unsweetened greek yogurt or coconut oil. and probiotics. and nakey time!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 10:15 pm
Yes.
Use just a bit, and just on the irritated areas, 2x a day. (You can't use more than that.) The other areas get Balmax, and then the whole thing gets sealed with good old corn starch.
The rest of the day, just use the Balmax with or without corn starch.

miami85

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 11:44 pm
We were told that we could use lotrimin every diaper change--obviously if we have 2 changes close together we dont do it twice I think one time the doctor told us to use a steroid cream also--but to only use that twice a day for a few days in addition to lotrimin
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics