Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hearing test for baby/toddler

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 7:08 pm
how do I get him to keep the ear phones on? we barely managed to sit through the tymponogram with the ear pieces for the 2-3 minutes. he did have part of the hearing test without anything on his head and the audiologist said it showed that he can hear. she does want to test each ear individually hence needing ear phones.

1-any tips for keeping it on? he won't even wear a hat, I can never put anything on his head besides a clip
2-do we continue or wait till he is older since she already ruled that out as why he isn't talking yet. he hears enough to produce normal speech sounds.

luckysunshine

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 7:34 pm
I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to get him to keep the insert earphones in at such a young age. If the results from the audiological evaluation without the earphones showed that your child is hearing well (even if they can't tell which ear it is), "hearing" is probably not the reason your child is speaking minimally, and I would leave it alone for another while and perhaps try again in a little while.

If the audiologist was NOT able to get results (even without the earphones) in all the frequencies (lower and higher), or the results were not completely "normal", then I'd probably try to retest sooner.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Henya

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 8:05 pm
When my son`s hearing got tested, he also refused to wear the earphones. They tested whatever they were able to without getting him too frustrated. They suggested another hearing test in 1 year, when he`s older & hopefully will cooperate better.

Rodent

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 9:15 am
My kids have never had to wear earphones until 3, before that they do it without and show puppets if they react to the noise.

mommy of boys

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 2:43 pm
I know that there is a test that can be done when the kid gets put to sleep. They only do this if they suspect a problem and the child isnt cooperating. You can ask your audiologist about it.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics