Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tonsilectomy & Toddler

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 11:25 pm
My 22 month-old is scheduled for a tonsilectomy this week, and I'm looking for any advice. He's a picky eater to start with, and can get adamant with his milk bottle--his main source of nutrition, how are we going to survive not giving him milk for 24 hours post-operatively as per the directions in the literature we were given? Or will he be too out-of-it to really care? It says we can give him juice, but he hasn't had much juice up until this point, and I don't mind if he has some, but I don't want him to get addicted to it at this point.

From the list of approved foods, he doesn't like mashed potatoes or eggs. He might eat noodles.

Any tried and true tips from parents to help him avoid getting dehydrated?

p.s. recent FDA regulations don't recommend tylenol with codeine--so he won't be druggy/drowsy

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 9:55 am
My son had his tonsils out recently at age four. It was truly horrific. I'm not saying this to scare you, but because it's really hard to expect him to be back to normal, or at least somewhat normal, a couple of days after the surgery, and then be disappointed and confused and think something is wrong.

My son couldn't eat anything more solid than jello for probably five or six days after the surgery. No mashed potatoes or eggs. Nothing like that. He was able to get down watery oatmeal once or twice, but only when the medicine was really working. Definitely not towards the end of a dose. He mostly lived on pudding, ice pops, and sometimes applesauce (although sometimes the grittiness hurt). I got him soy pudding so I wouldn't have a problem with the dairy. I know you don't want your kid to get hooked on sugar, but honestly, I would do whatever you can for the first few days. When nothing else would go down, at least he was eating ice pops and keeping hydrated. And just so you know, usually my kids don't get anything junkier than whole grain pretzels for a snack (although I've loosened up on that a bit now that my oldest is in school). If you want, you can try the ice pops made with real fruit...

And please don't assume that you won't use the tylonol with codeine. Unless they give you something else to manage the pain for him, I would really relaly recommend you give him something. This is coming from someone who hates the idea of epidurals and other meds during labor, so it's not like I believe in medicating for everything. My son was miserable when the meds started to wear off, even before we could give him the next dose. It was pitiful. I can't even imagine what it would be like without the meds. Oh, but the meds burn going down so it's hard to get them to take it...

Hatzlacha. Plan on taking off for a week. I was hoping it would just be a few days and was really disappointed. Oh, and it gets worse at day four or five. He was pretty good at the beginning, but then the scabs start falling off...

I think the whole thing traumatized me. It was horrible.

Classicookie

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 10:41 am
My dd got hers out with adnionds and tubes at 16 mouths she stayed overnight in the hosptail but when we got home she was mostly fine if she complained I gave her reg tylnal the yonger they are the less they understand what just happend and the faster they get better unless there are complications good luck

miami85

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 10:41 am
So while the procedure is still called a tonsilectomy, he is "only" having them shaved rather than removed also addenoidectomy as well as a frenulectomy (to cut the tongue tie). I don't know how that affects recovery. I guess I can try to find soy yogurt and pudding. I guess you're right about the juice, hopefully for the 1 day it won't have a lasting impact-- I'm not super health conscious, but he's never been a big juice fan--only really likes kiddush on shabbos. I just don't want it to become a bad habit.
I guess I'm more nervous about him not wanting to eat/drink anything b/c it hurts. He doesn't really like to eat when he's tired. And I don't really know what to expect from him b/c he hasn't really been sick in like a year.

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 11:58 am
My son had his adenoids and tonsils removed the day before his 2nd birthday. Aside from being groggy from the anesthesia, he rebounded within a couple of days. I gave him whatever meds the ENT prescribed. Just give your son whatever he'll drink-getting worried he'll like the juice too much isn't a reason to not give him liquids. You can also try almond milk. If comes in different flavors-vanilla and chocolate-and is delicious. My son ate pasta, applesauce, eggs, oatmeal. I think you can play it by ear. I also got him those Pedialyte ice pops after being advised by other people but he didn't really like them. Worth a try though. Good luck!

CherryBerry

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:19 pm
My son his adenoids and tonsils removed at age 5.
It was not bad at all. In fact he was great. He walked out of the hospital. Didnt need to be carried. And ate normally, soft foods like pasta and oatmeal the next day. I did give him the pain medicine. It was codeine plus tylenol. He didnt get drowsy. Just took away any pain.
I wasnt traumatized from the experience BH. Hopefully it will be good for you too.
I dont remember anything about not drinking milk though.....

amother

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 7:22 am
My 4 children all had this done, around ages 3-4. It was better for some than for others. Just be prepared that it might be bad. 2 of my kids didnt sleep and were up all night crying, so DH and I had to sleep with them. Stay on top of the pain meds and make sure to keep him hydrated. When they get dehydrated it is worse (I know this from experience). One of my children did not eat a bite for a week - he lost 5 lbs but did gain it back within a few weeks. My other kids ate little and lost a few lbs but they were okay. Now, once the recovery is over, I was so relieved that we had it done. My kids started growing better, sleeping better and just feeling better overall. Wishing you luck!

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:59 pm
So procedure is over and done with, had to be delayed an hour b/c he insisted on a 4oz milk bottle at 1am, I didnt think they'd make a big deal about it seeing as we were told by the pediatric anesthesiologist that a small drink would pass through his system within an hour, but anyway my son didn't complain about being thirsty--so I guess it was worth him sleeping and not screaming the whole night--we got little sleep as it was, and the timing of everything wasn't so terrible in the end.
The surgeon told us that he COULD have milk, so after stocking up on soy milk, soy yogurt, pareve chocolate pudding, it wasn't a big deal but still a good idea. In the end tonight he was having a hard time drinking anything--be it cup, straw, bottle, syringe, sippy cup etc. Didn't matter if it was milk, soy milk, water, apple juice. Poor guy, he was getting frustrated because his mouth was swollen (also did a frenuloplasty to correct tongue tie) he also kept asking for foods that he likes but wasn't ready for. He liked the ice pops, but didnt like them spilling when he held them the wrong way--good thing they were colorless. He was already up and playing by 7pm.

It was cute that in his painful daze and stupor when he didn't want anything, the one thing he said "yes" to was "do you want a balloon?", so after we got home and I drove my babysitter home I went out and bought him a balloon, when he woke up and saw it he ran over to it Smile

Right now he's sleeping peacefully, B"H. hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics