Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What are risks/side effects of flu vaccine?

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 8:37 pm
I know there are a couple of threads on the subject already, but they don't seem to clearly address this question. I also know how to use google, thanks. But there's just so much mixed/misinformation that I'd also like to hear from some of the smart, well-read ladies on imamother.

Background: I'm a selective vaxer, I give my kids the things I deem to be the most potential benefit with the least risk, spread out, and sometimes late. Never bothered with the flu before, but this year I have a newborn here and my doctor (who knows and accepts my feelings about vaccines) is strongly recommending that the rest of us all get vaccinated. I have a 2-year-old, me, and DH. I work in a school and get exposed to the bugs that go around there, plus I've had flu before and didn't take it too well. I'm breastfeeding the newborn. The toddler (and newborn when I go back to work) is babysat privately, not in a group daycare, so she doesn't get exposed to much though she does see other kids in the playground, at the library, etc.

I have no idea what to do about this one...

paperclip

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 9:13 pm
(from the insert)
Mild Problems

soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
hoarseness; sore, red or itchy eyes; cough
fever
aches
headache
itching
fatigue
If these problems occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days.

Moderate Problems

Young children who get inactivated flu vaccine and pnemococcal vaccine (PCV13) at the same time appear to be at increased risk for seizures caused by fever. Ask your doctor for more information.

Tell your doctor if a child who is getting flu vaccine has ever had a seizure.

Severe Problems

Life-threatening allergic reactions from vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it is usually within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot.
In 1976, a type of inactivated influenza (swine flu) vaccine was associated with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). Since then, flu vaccines have not been clearly linked to GBS. However, if there is a risk of GBS from current flu vaccines, it would be no more than 1 or 2 cases per million people vaccinated. This is much lower than the risk of severe influenza, which can be prevented by vaccination.

Unfortunately people did get GBS from the flu shot last year and were compensated by the vaccine court.
here is the link http://drtenpenny.com/vaccine-.....ries/

This vaccine does have mercury in it , which means it may cause neurological damage. (some people were compensated by the court for neurological damage and death , too). watch this video to see how mercury can cause nerve damage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8nSn5Ezd8

Hope this helps
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics