Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls elementary school in Flatbush
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 12:11 am
My dd is 2 1/2 and I am trying to figure out which school in Flatbush would be most appropriate. Need something middle of the road--not very yeshivish and not too modern; a good education is important; as is warmth and individual attention. I have no idea where to begin. Any advice?

tzila

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 12:27 am
Looking forward to seeing the replies. I need the same info. Thank you for posting this thread, OP. Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 1:17 am
Don't know exactly what you mean by "yeshivish" and "modern", but I'll try.
BYA is considered a good mix of some yeshivish, some not yeshivish, but no one too modern. But I don't think it's so warm and into individual attention. Also it's pretty impossible to get it unless you've got pull

What about Bais yakov d'rav meir? Might be a bit more modern crowd than bya. Dont' know about warmth.

Mesores? Some people would say it's too modern, but like I said I have no idea how you're defining it. I dont' think it's modern just very fancy, flatbushy.

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 1:57 am
I would suggest Bnos Yisroel. That's where I went and overall I had a very positive experience there. I got a very good education there and I really think it is middle of the road in terms of yeshivish vs modern. There is one class per grade so there's definitely more individual attention than in most other schools where there are a few classes per grade. True I went there 15+ years ago but my neighbors go there now and my impression is the same. I definitely recommend it. Hatzlacha!

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:02 am
Yeshiva of Belle Harbor while a coed school has a wonderful pre-school division, Morah Briendy is the most amazing teacher who will give your child the love and attention that she needs. Their building was destroyed by the hurricane but as of yesterday they aquired a new building and will be relocating to Brooklyn.

They will be at Eitz Chaim on East 13th Street between Avenue P and Kings Highway. I am sure that you will love it. I don't have their new phone number but you can reach Morah Briendy at 917-544-0704.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:13 am
What about Lev by and prospect? Currently those two sound the best to me.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:28 pm
OP here, thanks for the info. My impression is that mesores is really into fashion and I think that can be tough on girls. Thoughts?
What is Bnos Yisroel, where is it located? Lev is sooo far out of the neighborhood. Anyone have an opinion on D'rav Meir? Also I heard that Prospect is accepting all types which is making things a little different there.
Anyone have more info an suggestions? This is such an important decision and I really want to make the right one. TIA

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:31 pm
brooklyn wrote:
Yeshiva of Belle Harbor while a coed school has a wonderful pre-school division, Morah Briendy is the most amazing teacher who will give your child the love and attention that she needs. Their building was destroyed by the hurricane but as of yesterday they aquired a new building and will be relocating to Brooklyn.

They will be at Eitz Chaim on East 13th Street between Avenue P and Kings Highway. I am sure that you will love it. I don't have their new phone number but you can reach Morah Briendy at 917-544-0704.

Thanks. But dd is already in Playgroup. Looking for something long term.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:43 pm
OP, can you tell us more what type you are, and what you mean by modern? Prospect is a great school. Both the staff and the curriculum. However not everyone goes for the parent body. There are some really frum people there but also really modern. (I know of some people there where the moms don't cover their hair, etc.. )but I don't know if that would bother you. I think most people that send there though really like the school. The girls come out of there very learned.

mesores- yes it is into fashion. Can definitely be tough on girls if they are not like that. Obviously not everyone is like that. I personally know 2 families are so simple and not into fashion and the girls seem to like it. But still that's not the typical.
If you don't plan on keeping up with the latest trends, it may not be so fun for your dd there. Unless she is one of those super self confident kids who don't care what others think and are doing.

bnos yisroel is on E. 15th bet k, hway and P. it's supposedly a really nice warm small school. (also hard to get in obviously). Some people I speak to say things like "Oh it's soo yeshivish I can never send there". I personally know lots of families who send there and are not yeshivish. But I also know that some yeshivis people do send there. For me the crowd would be perfect, so it really depends on what you consider yourself. It's defintiely a simpler school. Less pressure in terms of fashion/latest trends, etc..
People there are very happy.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:22 pm
Something I've been wondering about Lev - they're so far, do they provide transportation like to Kensington and boro park? What about the areas of flatbush near Kensington?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:53 pm
I send my girls to prospect and I am happy there. Despite what the previous amother said about some mothers not covering their hair, I dont know of any mothers who dont. I send to prospect precisely because it is middle of the road, not too yeshivish, not too modern.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 9:27 pm
My daughter is in the Masores preschool. There are many young, trendy mothers sending here and they must give this school it's repuation to be sure, but there are the frumpy kind like me around too. Everyone gets along. Mothers like me who I called before sending said that the lack of tznius in many other mothers is concerning to them. Dd is still little, so I don't get the requests for certain brands or anything, and I'm not sure what to expect in that regard. It depends a lot on the class.

We interviewed in a school that was more our 'type,' and were accepted, but we have some offhand experience with older Masores girls and find that they're relatively refined and mature.

The preschool is top notch. Morah Zolty (preschool head) works very hard to make school exciting and enjoyable for her students, with a new theme each year, lots of assemblies, great programs, etc. There are about 80 girls in kindergarten alone (4 classes), and I'd bet she knows each of their names. There's a giant outdoor area with equipment and tricycles for the talmidot to play with. During parshas Noach, a 'traveling ark' parked outside the school for them. (travelingark.com I think) They have a big, beautiful gym, in their bldg, as well as a library, science lab, computer lab (w/intranet), all clean and beautiful. The administration does a great job. Drop off and pickup is highly supervised, with 3+ morahs outside with walkie talkies at any time. And most importantly, my daughter really enjoys school.

The menahel, very warm and caring, always makes himself available and his son in law is poised to take over, and he's there at the school every day - has been for years. A stable and quality institution imo.

What else can I tell you? Feel free to PM me. Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 9:36 pm
Ashrei, thank you so much for all the info!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 12:10 pm
Got to put in a plug for BYA here my daughter is in the elementary school (upper grade) and she loves it.
The girls are very nice and fine and to the amother who said the school is not that warm I dont agree it's still brooklyn and classes are usually filled to capacity but the girls dont really feel that.

Being that I went to a larger school myself I'm so glad my daughter does not.

reportrmom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 12:46 pm
I have a girl in Bais Yakov D'Rav Meir. She is in ninth grade and has been going since kindergarten. I also went there, but that was a while ago.

We have been boruch Hashem very happy. As I remember the preschool, it was unbelievable. Very warm, sweet morahs. I remember her coming home before every yom tov with a HUGE paper bag full of projects. I really like that the classes are not huge. We had good experiences with the teachers. I have heard some people say its JAPpy, but we haven't experienced it. Maybe my daughter just wasn't super tuned in to all the latest trends, but it was totally not an issue by us.

If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask here or PM me.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 1:18 pm
My daughter goes to Bnos Yisroel and we are very happy. It seems like it basically fits your description of what you are looking for. It's warm, good education, and middle of the road. The classes are big though (abt 30-32) per grade bec. there is only one class of each grade. There is a very nice parent body. Not flabushy overall, but good frum pple. Mostly working but some kollel families too. Hope this helps.

forever21

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 4:26 pm
I dont think you can consider it a middle of the road school if there are kollel families that send. kollel families usually send to more yeshivish schools and I think bnos yisrael is more yeshivish.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:21 pm
My dd is in lev. They do have transportation far out. They r very warm and caring that is what they are known for. It's basically middle of the road in terms of frumkeit

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:46 pm
In terms of the spectrum of schools in Flatbush, Bnos Yisroel is definitely one of the most yeshivish. I live in a neighborhood that sends primarily to Bnos Yisroel and BY of 18th Ave, both very yeshivish (and fantastic!) schools. BYA is probably more middle road, but still closer to yeshivish. It is nearly impossible to get into, they refused to even send me an application (and I called the day after succos!). My sister is applying for my niece this year and they told them flat out that they have 2 spots available with many applicants. They get filled up pretty quickly with siblings and alumni. Don't worry, though, you're not missing out on too much, they have a reputation for being cold. So does Bais Yaakov D'rav Meir, and they have gotten JAPier, like a ritzier crowd. Prospect is a big mix, but like others said, a lot of families to the left that have TV's, occasional mothers that don't cover hair, etc.

Here are 3 newer schools: Lev BY - has a warm reputation, younger families, a lot of Marine Park students and some will have TV and such. Mediocre education, not so fantastic. Midwood BY - also warm reputation, big mix of families, very accepting and into giving the girls a warm and loving environment. I don't know how stable they are I've heard such rumors, so check it out. Ohel Sarah - don't know too much about but I know several more open-minded families that send there. They might have a TV and dress more liberally in terms of tznius. I think the education is good as well, but look into it, not too sure.

BTW, most of these schools start at Kindergarten and your 2.5 yr old is going to nursery next year, so some of them may not be applicable yet. Do your homework in finding out how early you need to call for an application.

chestnut

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 9:00 pm
another vote for Lev. I know that they have buses to "upper" BP - 20 ave and 50s.
the preschool principal is the warmest, always smiley person I have ever seen. the morahs were great!!

so far had great experience with elementary school as well (2nd grade here). last and this years' hebrew morahs are very into building connection with Hashem, etc.

I'm happy with the education so far.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics