Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ever have to pay for shopping bags in a supermarket?
1  2  3  4  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 5:28 pm
What do you feel about paying for a shopping bag?

There are some chain stores here that charge you for each shopping bag you use and now the small supermarket that I go to, also charges. I was not happy about it. They also give a candy worth 10 cents when they don't have change. Mad Exploding anger

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 5:30 pm
Yes, in France- we bring re-usable bags when we shop. It's annoying, yet I feel it's justified.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 5:43 pm
It's standard in other continental European countries. Here, M&S charges for one, while other supermarkets still provide free bags (although you can buy more sturdy bags-for-life). Supermarkets
give you "extra points" for bringing your own bags.

I'm very much in favour of charging for shopping bags, mainly for environmental and resource allocation
reasons. It doesn't take that much of difficulty to bring a few bags before you go grocery shopping.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:01 pm
No, but many stores give you a discount for bringing your own, which amounts to the same thing. You pay for the bags in higher prices in stores that don't give you a choice.

imamiri

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:03 pm
Yes in both places that I have lived the last couple of years, California and BC.

Doesn't bother me really. I used re-useable cloth bags before they started charging anyway. It's not that difficult.

Eemaof3

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:06 pm
In Toronto they charged for bags. Made it worthwhile to bring my own cloth ones.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:10 pm
they do this at ikea. why I have at least half a dozen of those GIANT blue bags with the yellow handles. me, and the rest of the people in NYC I see schlepping around stuff.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:44 pm
nopes ~ but you can buy your own bags to save the earth ... you just have to remember to bring them to use & reuse

also whole foods gives you a discount of 5ยข per bag if you bring your own

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:52 pm
It bothered me that all of a sudden they started charging. I go in there almost every day and today I was carrying three other bags that were quite heavy and I couldn't add to it. I wasn't making a shopping trip, I just remembered that I needed a few things from there. I use my shopping bags all the time, usually for dirty diapers, so I like getting bags. Yes, if they discounted if I brought my own, I wouldn't mind so much paying when I don't have.

bluebird

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 7:06 pm
The city where I live has banned plastic bags. You pay a few cents for a paper bag. It's annoying because paper bags don't have handles. I try to carry my own reusable one but I don't always have it with me.

Maya

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 7:49 pm
Trader Joe's charges for bags. I'm not sure if for paper too, or only for plastic.

Sherri

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:13 pm
A candy instead of change? I was going to ask if that's legal but that might be irrelevant... Wink

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:27 pm
Maya wrote:
Trader Joe's charges for bags. I'm not sure if for paper too, or only for plastic.

and this would be how my mom ended up buying the six-bottles-of-wine recyclable tote. hmmm. she's not kosher, but are there kosher wines at trader joes?

Snickers18

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:32 pm
imamiri wrote:
Yes in both places that I have lived the last couple of years, California and BC.

Doesn't bother me really. I used re-useable cloth bags before they started charging anyway. It's not that difficult.

imamiri, if you don't mind me asking, do/did you live close-ish to Blaine, WA?

Snickers18

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:34 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Maya wrote:

and this would be how my mom ended up buying the six-bottles-of-wine recyclable tote. hmmm. she's not kosher, but are there kosher wines at trader joes?

Where we live, there are at least a couple types of kosher wine at about $4 a bottle, and we don't live in a large Jewish community in the slightest. But you can also use those totes to schlep wines at other stores.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:38 pm
Snickers18 wrote:

Where we live, there are at least a couple types of kosher wine at about $4 a bottle, and we don't live in a large Jewish community in the slightest. But you can also use those totes to schlep wines at other stores.

then likely more here in NYC. I always bring wine to my mom's... rethinking that. and thinking of getting my own tote. why didn't I think of this sooner? was so jazzed about the kosher wine store I found, wasn't even thinking about my normal thrifty shopping

imamiri

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:42 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
imamiri wrote:

Well kinda. Vancouver. Hopefully going back to SoCal.

Snickers18

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:50 pm
imamiri wrote:
Snickers18 wrote:
imamiri wrote:

We're practically neighbors! I think this excites me far more than it should. Smile I'm in WA. Perhaps you come here to do Costco shopping?

Last edited by Snickers18 on Wed, Nov 07 2012, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

imamiri

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:57 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Snickers18 wrote:
imamiri wrote:

We're practically neighbors! I think this excites me far more than it should. Smile I'm in Bellingham, WA. Perhaps you come here to do Costco shopping?

Nah we have Costco here. Smile

orchidmom

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 9:06 pm
v normal in the uk!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics