Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Blisters in mouth
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 3:17 pm
Mostly on inside of front lip. some on inside of one cheek. Toddler is drooling and maybe a bit feverish (definately not high). First I thought teething molars but then saw blisters, sores. What is it? What can I do?

jaysmom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 3:31 pm
I would bring child to doc tomorrow. It MAY be hand, foot, mouth, which isnt a big deal but is very contageous.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 3:33 pm
Could be herpes (HSV-1), like cold sores, the inital exposure to the virus causes a lot of sores in the mouth. Or check your toddler's hands and feet for little blisters- could be hand foot mouth disease (I think it's called coxsackie virus, or something like that).

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 3:57 pm
Thank you ladies, I know how to google. I am asking cuz I wanna hear experiences. What helped make it go away.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:01 pm
Its a virus it goes away when it ruins its course. Tylenol for fever and pain. cherry mylanta mixed with Benadryl applied with a q-tip to the sores.

jaysmom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:04 pm
Imamothers and google can give you ideas of what it may be. A doctor taking a look at it can make an acurate diagnosis and treatment plan. For hand, foot, and mouth I believe an antibiotic is given.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:11 pm
Thanks! I want to hear if I even have what to go to the doc. I'm not the type who runs for every fever or cold. Some things just go away. I wanted to know if it needs treatment. In that case, I would anyway avoid antibiotic, but at least I know what to give instead

jaysmom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:15 pm
I dont run o the doc for every diaper rash or cold, but for this I would go.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:17 pm
jaysmom wrote:
Imamothers and google can give you ideas of what it may be. A doctor taking a look at it can make an acurate diagnosis and treatment plan. For hand, foot, and mouth I believe an antibiotic is given.

They don't give antibiotics for hand foot and mouth, its a virus, antibiotics don't help. They might give some sorry of antibiotic creams for herpes or cold sores to make them heal faster.

jaysmom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:20 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
jaysmom wrote:

They don't give antibiotics for hand foot and mouth, its a virus, antibiotics don't help. They might give some sorry of antibiotic creams for herpes or cold sores to make them heal faster.

When I worked in preschool, I am pretty sure that the kids sent home with HFM had to be on something before returning to school. Maybe I am wrong.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:39 pm
Hand, Foot, Mouth Virus
Coxcakie Virus

Sounds like one of these two especially because of the drooling which is usually caused by pain from the sores further in the throat-so child does not wish to swallow much. Both HIGHLY contagious, painful. Other children can catch very easily and child should stay home (usually kid is too sick to attend school anyway). Fever can get high, child might refuse food, feels all around YUCKY :(

Cold sores
Canker sores

Contagious but can be controlled as long as teacher knows to be on as much lookout as possible so that another child should not eat or mouth an object from infected child. Children do not stay home with this virus.

Should def check out with ped to rule out any other possibility and to have it documented in child's chart.

Refuah Shelaimah.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:41 pm
P.S. Only treatment is Tylenol/Motrin for pain and runs its course in few days...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 5:49 pm
B"H YOM YOM wrote:
P.S. Only treatment is Tylenol/Motrin for pain and runs its course in few days...

Thank you! That was helpful! Very Happy

B"H YOM YOM

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 6:46 pm
Just to add one last possibility: thrush. Can come if child was on antibio recently or for various reasons. Looks bit diff than what you described but since we can't see them over here... and there is a medication protocol for that (nystatin etc)... Good luck.

chams

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 7:19 pm
I just had 3 kids with hand foot and mouth. It is contagious before the sores and rashes come out. os if you haven't caught it yet, you probably haven't caught it. Show it to a doctor. Yes, they can not treat it with anything except tylenol and motrin. But you should know what it is and stock up on apple sauce, soups and yogurts, as depending on the severity of the sores it is very painful to eat.

mommyof2boys

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 8:03 pm
both my boys just had this. it is HORRIBLE.

my 3 yr old was crying alot one day, clingy, kvetchy. finally he told us his tongue hurt (he has had a bad cold sore in the past so he knew how to describe the pain). he had a bath and we noticed some tiny red spots on his hands and feet and also on his bum (hs toilet trainined so not diaper rash) and a bit around his mouth. we knew what it was but went to the dr the next day to confirm it.

my baby (1 yr old) was just a tad more clingy asking to nurse at times in the day when he doesnt normall get to nurse. he ended up with a rash on his bum too so they both went to the dr.

lets just say it got worse before it got better. both had blisters on thier gums, tongue, and back of throat. I treated with motrin and tylenol (switched off) to cover every single hour of the day for 3-4 days straight. you must treat the pain! it is excrusiating for them.

my baby thank g-d continued to eat and drink (but woke frequently at night for more meds and nursing), but my toddler didnt eat for 4 days. well he ate apple sauce and popsicles. my doctor said melon and watermelon work well because its cold but my kids dont eat it.

its a virus that afects the intestinal tract too so its possible to loose appittite (plus the pain of eating)

plain foods- avoid spicy, salty, etc. nothing acidic like tomato sauce

its a horrible virus that needs to run its course. the only thing you can do is treat the pain constantly and try to avoid dehydration- so if it means popsicles all day then so be it.

poor kid and poor mommy! refuah soon. ours lasted about a week, but eating and feeling better started after day 4 or 5

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 8:40 pm
Thank you so much for all this info. My older child has been complaining the last two days that throat hurts. I hadn't put it together with my toddler's blisters until now. Toddler was up more often in middle of night and didn't drink bottle. Poor kid! Was kvetchy all day. Ok, looks like we're gonna have a fun week!
I just hope I don't catch it...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 8:41 pm
B"H YOM YOM wrote:
Just to add one last possibility: thrush. Can come if child was on antibio recently or for various reasons. Looks bit diff than what you described but since we can't see them over here... and there is a medication protocol for that (nystatin etc)... Good luck.
It's definitely not thrush as my kids have had that in the past, and I know what it looks like.

baker1

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 10:43 pm
Oh my! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 2 dd had it at the same time, ( they caught it from a neighbor...) it was a real nightmare! dd #1 was 12 months she didnt stop crying for 3 days... dd #2 was 2 1/2 and also screamed! the only thing that calm them down was a walk in the double carriage- it was a sight, I walked up and down the block for about 3 days at all hours!

My mother also tells me its the only crazy memory she had is taking care of the 3 kids with this virus!

Oh and about you catching it, you probably won't. and even of you do you will have a sore or two. My doc said the older you are the less bad the case will be.

Hatzlacha and just remember it will pass!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 3:06 pm
Again, thanks for the warning and thanks for the chizzuk!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics