Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I could just cry

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 2:09 pm
I work so hard for my employer... I'm in sales and single handedly brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.. besides for the fact that they owe me commissions and expenses for over a year.. now I'm told that I won't be receiving a paycheck next week..

I am having such a bad day.. somebody tell me something funny please!!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 2:21 pm
This is so sad. I guess things aren't do too well. Is there any hope for the future?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 2:33 pm
Did your employer tell you when you will get a paycheck? I dont know if this will comfort you but I am a p3 provider and will get paid for the month of september end of Nov. Or even December. I am the breadwinner so yeah its really tough. BH for credit cards....
And now something to make you smile....I was making noise while cleaning up and my baby who is 22 months was watching uncle moishy says "shhh mommy. Uncle moishys talking!!!" How adorable is that...

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 2:44 pm
Idk the halachas if your employer is Jewish or if theres anything else going on but if its a legit business I would call my good friends at the Dept of Labor (I am the one representing the employer and I fight employees hard but they are entitled to try).

4thebooks

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
I work so hard for my employer... I'm in sales and single handedly brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.. besides for the fact that they owe me commissions and expenses for over a year.. now I'm told that I won't be receiving a paycheck next week..

Why did the banana go to the hospital? bec he wasent "peeling" very well.. haha

Why are chefs so mean? cuz they beat the eggs and whip the cream.. hahhhhaaa

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 3:36 pm
Op here-
Thanks everyone, it is a Jewish company and no promises about making the money up at a later date. I've been"keeping my eyes open" for another job but I guess I need to actively start searching now!
The company has been going through financial problems for a while now but I guess I was in denial and kept hoping it would get better...

The uncle Moishy story was great! It made me smile :-)

abby1776

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 3:40 pm
ITs a jewish company - that is awful that they do not pay their employees - a clear violation of Halacha is there a Rav that can speak to them?

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 3:41 pm
not paying a worker on time is ASSUR. So is stealing.

ElTam

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 4:38 pm
I agree that you should get a rav and/or labor lawyer involved. At the very least, I would stop working for them. You can look for another job and assuming you are working on the books, you will get unemployment, which does actually pay you.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
Op here-
Thanks everyone, it is a Jewish company and no promises about making the money up at a later date. I've been"keeping my eyes open" for another job but I guess I need to actively start searching now!
The company has been going through financial problems for a while now but I guess I was in denial and kept hoping it would get better...

The uncle Moishy story was great! It made me smile :-)

I left my job 3 years ago, and my employer still owes me a couple of thousand dollars. If I wouldn't leave the job, he'd owe me a lot more by now.
Skipping paychecks was the norm to him. I don't think in my wildest dream that I'll ever see the money.

Just saying....

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 5:42 pm
OP so sorry to hear.

You did say the company was in financial difficulty. Is it possible to get a feel for when and how much they are going to pay? Even getting half of your payt his month would be worth it, if you suspect the company (chas veshalom) is going under. Is it possible to get the boss to document the fact that they owe you $XYZ?

Just to be mentally prepared, about what rights/protection you'll have if the company files for Chap 11. In most jurisdiciton, wages owed to employees rank pretty high, above general trade debts.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 6:45 pm
That's horrible. Are you looking for a new position yet? If not, why not?

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 9:42 pm
Looking for a new job can take time. It is totally wrong of your employer/s and I am sorry to say this but so Jewish! I don't know why so many Jewish bosses think they can screw their workers over?!
You have a life too!

Tell them if you don't get your paycheck you are taking them to bais din and go ahead with it. You can! Get a rav involved, it is mean, wrong and assur!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 9:55 pm
The sign in the sandwich shop says, traditionally:
"the bank doesn't make sandwiches and we don't make loans".
You are lending them money. Is that your profession? Nobody wakes up in the moring suddenly a loan officer. Are you aware it takes training and involves the three C's? Character, Collateral, Conditions, stuff like that.

It would be cheaper to stay home, and take in a neighbor's kid for a few bucks, bake bread which saves money, cook cheaper in general, have more peace, and save carfare.

If you really want another job, get it from this office; it will sound better than getting it from home. But unpaid, you might as well be home.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 9:31 am
Op here-
I met with my boss briefly last night, I will get a paycheck for this week-success! We are meeting again later this week to draw up an agreement as to commissions and payment dates. I'm pretty sure he realizes now that I'm not playing anymore and I need to be paid, otherwise I'm out and his business goes under.
I have stepped up my job search and am now actively searching for a new opportunity. I can't really just quit, I won't be eligible for unemployment (I'm pretty sure I have to be let go.)

You guys are awesome-so happy to be part of this forum!

Culturedpearls

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 9:41 am
I'm an employer & I just don't understand how someone cannot pay their workers. If you can't pay, let them go.
When the economy crashed we let go of staff so we would be in a position to pay the ones we kept.
We sold equity to stay afloat & wages always always took priority.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 10:27 am
OP I feel for you, I just cried to my boss, or one of them. I'm in a situation where I have 3-4 bosses and it is very confusing and I just completely badmouthed one to the other as the cause of my weepery.

You deserve so much better, hope you find somewhere which appreciates you.

orchidmom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 10:35 am
OP I really feel for you.

It is so demoralizing to be working and not receiving at least the minimum amount you are owed!
I would really try to leave the job, if you aren't getting paid anyways then leave them in the lurch. There is no reason you should be working for free.

IloveHashem613

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:

OP I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through! My husband had a similar situation a few years ago where he did tons of sales for a company that he worked for and then when it came time to pay him commissions (which should have been about $2000), they weaseled their way out of it claiming that they don't really owe it to him. What was so stupid on their part was that my husband is amazing at sales and he could've continued bringing them so much business, but because he saw that he wasn't gonna get rewarded for his hard work, he totally lost his motivation. If they had paid him what they owed him, he would've continued bringing in a lot more business for the company, they lost money for themselves. I never understood businesses who screw over their own employees like this, what do they think motivates people? Money! And what is the biggest motivation killer? Not paying your employees for their work! Seriously! Its ridiculous and I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

As a side point, I have a business involving sales and marketing and if you are good at sales and want to do something on the side or full time where you will ABSOLUTELY get rewarded for your hard work, pm me. Hatzlacha with everything!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics