Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pesach kitchen
1  2  Next

deedee

Post Sun, May 01 2005, 8:29 pm
has anyone fliped back over yet????
I'm waiting for the last bach of dishes to dry then into a box they go until next year!
I'm gonna make (request in a nice way Twisted Evil ) hubby rip up all the contact paper and tin foil all over the counters. its only fair since I covered them!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, May 01 2005, 9:49 pm
I hate the turnover back to chometz almost as much as I hate the trunover into a pesach kitchen. All the washing dishes and drying and making sure all the pots and pans are perfectly clean.

supermom

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 8:21 am
deedee it looks as if someone is holding your baby in their big hands it is funny. cute picture don't worry though

deedee

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 9:34 am
its my hands, I'm holding her! they look big cause its a close up. I blacked out my face (its right behind hers) so I can remain annoymous Wink 8)

supermom

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 10:28 am
now that explains it all Very Happy

Pearl

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 4:06 am
so this is what happened 1 hour before the shabbos before pesach:

dh was in the kitchen with a friend, final touch to the food for shabbos and pesach (you all remember how dh is a great cook?! and this friend is a prof cook, so it's logical, isn't it?) when this friend asks dh "are you sure that avkat marak is kosher for pesach?"
dh is almost insulted, as our kitchen is so kosher for pesach you won't believe! I mean, here it's normal for ppl to buy stuff of a kosher list, bought in regular stores, but all we have is things coming straight from israel, with the badatz kosher lepesach stamp on it (and it costs double the normal price, btw), but to humor his friend, he checked it out.
no stamp! I thought dh was going to faint! he always uses a lot of soup powder when cooking, but fortunately he used it this time only in the soup, the matze balls, and one dish of chicken, so we still had plenty of food B"H to feed all of us (incl. lots of guests) for about 7 meals.
he totally freaked, through out the above mentioned dishes, threw the pots and pans he used for it out.
he couldn't ask the rav, as the rav just got out of hospital, so this was the best he could do!
needles to say, it was a very hectic beginning of the hag!

now, turning it all back - our yearly night mare, but also this will end, B"H!

supermom

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 7:37 am
oh my!! if most of your dishes like the chicken and soup werent good then what did you already serve instead for all your meals and to top it all off your guest?

Pearl

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 8:12 am
it was in the soup (which we ate shabbos night, as we could still eat hametz) and one chicken dish (which in his freak out state threw out!), but B"H plenty of dishes left to serve! remember, my husband is sephardic, the table is always loaded B"H! there was duck, potatoes, veggies, meatballs etc etc

supermom

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 10:34 am
mmm mmm please do send me some of your leftover duck I just love duck!!

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 12:36 pm
Food For thought: Why do we use the term "turning over" our kitchen?

deedee

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 12:02 pm
I guess my brain was hungry cause I was thinking about it....
to turn over means, to go from one side to the other, which is what we do on pesach. we go from one side of chometz to the oppsite side of no chometz. therefore we "turn over" the kitchen!

Sunshine

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 7:26 pm
I think it is also that on Pesach and when we do the changing back and for from chometz to non chometz and vv the kitchen looks like it is up-side-down. Like s/o litterally turned it over. I have never seen a kitchen that looks normal on Pesach. They all look unique! We had these city inspectors come to our apt to make sure that the smoke detectors and stuff were working and they asked us about our kitchen and how come things were all covered. We got into an interesting conversation. Also with our guests we tell them. I mean wouldn't you think it is odd if s/o kitchen is covered from top to bottom in foil and garbage bags and thing like that? I still wonder what they think.

supermom

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 9:31 am
you cover your walls also? shock

gryp

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 10:13 am
we cover the walls by the stove and counters because food drips can end up on the walls. especially by the stove if you fry food and the oil pops everywhere...

supermom

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 10:56 am
and if you repaint is it still required?

Chanie

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 12:29 pm
supermom wrote:
you cover your walls also? shock

when we were little my mother used to cover the wall behind the kitchen table.. it took years to convince her that noone eats off the walls.

Sunshine

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 6:07 pm
I know this family that the father would repaint some of their house for Pesach every year. I suspect it was more for the fact that they had a lot of little kids who showed their artistic talents on the walls and also were always getting dirty from little hands. So it was more for dirt then chametz.

supermom

Post Sat, May 07 2005, 12:38 pm
but doesn't it say that if a dog can't eat it it is okay so still why cover the wall

gryp

Post Sat, May 07 2005, 6:32 pm
Quote:
but doesn't it say that if a dog can't eat it it is okay

this is a very misunderstood halacha. R. Blumenkranz explains it in his Pesach book.

Tefila

Post Sat, May 07 2005, 11:16 pm
Nope we don't cover the walls but I repaint for cosmetic reasons originally, now for the reason rg mentioned
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen