Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
The surprising things boys do, or tips for mothers of boys
1  2  Next

BrisToBarMitzvah

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 9:12 am
Last call to share your 'What a boy...' experiences. Best ones will be collected and included in a forthcoming book iy"H

(does he keep a pet earthworm? does he have a notebook of 500 funniest jokes that he reads to Uncle Joe every Friday? )

Also, tips for mothers of boys.

Ex: THe most important thing to send along to camp (for my son - Tradition soup!)

Looking forward...

zigi

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 9:29 am
lego and playmobil all over the house.
likes tying toys together
bunkbed is a climbing frame
he once brought home a snail we had it as a pet for a while it escaped. I don't know where it is now

buy double knee pants, for my sanity if I know that ds is going to come home filthy from shul he wears hand me downs and I buy 6$ shabbos shirts.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:24 pm
Things I have said to my boys that I never dreamed would come out of my mouth:

"I don't care how hot it is outside, we never, EVER stick our head in the potty to cool down."

"That's nice that your sister shared her Barbie with you. But it's not nice to make it into the bad guy and let her find it hanging naked with a jump rope around its neck."

"Please ASK ME before you put your science experiment in the freezer."

"After Bar Mitzvah, daily showers are not an optional activity. They are required. Yes, you have to cut your nails once in a while. And if you don't change your socks for a week in camp, bad things will happen that require a doctor."

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:36 pm
When I give my boys a prize it lasts for maximum 5 minutes and then gets disassembled. Don't buy prizes costing more then 25 cents

amother

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:38 pm
Btw, I work at a girls' camp and Tradition Soup would be the #1 think I recommend sending girls too!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:43 pm
imasinger wrote:

"I don't care how hot it is outside, we never, EVER stick our head in the potty to cool down."

"That's nice that your sister shared her Barbie with you. But it's not nice to make it into the bad guy and let her find it hanging naked with a jump rope around its neck."

"After Bar Mitzvah, daily showers are not an optional activity. They are required. Yes, you have to cut your nails once in a while. And if you don't change your socks for a week in camp, bad things will happen that require a doctor."

My 2.5 year old once gave himself a "swirly" in the toilet bowl. Intentionally. My nine-year-old brother obviously thinks his nephew is the coolest, craziest kid ever. Smile

Having a son means having your 2 year old correct you on the type of construction vehicle you pass on the street -- "Look, DS, a bulldozer!" "No, Ema, Rolling Eyes that's an excavator, and that's a skid steer, and that's a backhoe."

And I've got to admire my mother-in-law for raising 3 boys who somehow still have all their limbs. As a kallah, my first glimpse of my brothers-in-law to be was finding them on the front lawn picking pears from their tree and using them as baseballs. With honest-to-God machetes as the bats.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:46 pm
The bushes are only to be used as a bathroom in case of EMERGENCY. Not just because you're too busy with your ball game to come inside.

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
Btw, I work at a girls' camp and Tradition Soup would be the #1 think I recommend sending girls too!

Yes my dds eagerly took tradition soup to camp. (But I don't recommend it because I consider it junk food.)

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 2:01 pm
My 4 year old removed the air conditioner from our window in the country. I walked by and noticed a gaping hole where it used to be. Surprised

He also did tons of other things. I wouldn't know where to start listing from: when he pulled the fire alarm in a hospital, locked himself in an office so that a locksmith had to break off the doorknob to get him out, broke my mothers computer so it wouldn't turn on anymore...

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 2:04 pm
As the mother of 3 little boys in a row, I kind of took it for granted that that's how life with 3 kids in less than 3 years is. However, when I spoke to my aunt who has 3 almost as close in age as I do, but her first 2 are boys, she had a whole different story to tell. Things like jumping off the back of the couch, or doing backflips from the back of the couch onto the seat, or walking straight off the couch, are not a part of every day activities, but I didn't know much different Wink

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 2:11 pm
imasinger wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Thank you for that! I needed a good belly laugh!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 2:12 pm
Posted: Today at 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: re: The surprising things boys do, or tips for mothers o

amother wrote:

Yes my dds eagerly took tradition soup to camp. (But I don't recommend it because I consider it junk food.)

Not that I recommend it because I think it's healthy but because it always kills me to see all the campers spending a fortune on T Soup at the canteen when they could bring from home for much cheaper Smile (although I guess there are even worse things they can spend their money on at canteen

enneamom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 3:40 pm
Well, MY toddler boy loves playing with dolls, rocking them, kissing them, etc.

I guess the fun hasn't begun yet. (Actually, he did recently start climbing onto the dining room table)

BrisToBarMitzvah

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 9:22 pm
This is really amazing. Boys are the best, and I love hearing from fellow mothers...

world's best Mom, do you want to share the story of the fire alarm pulled in the hospital in more detail? You left me in suspense...hold old was he? what happened next?

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 9:27 pm
Oh, yeah, I just remembered another good one, thanks to WBM's stories...

"If you came home and forgot your key, please walk to a neighbor or to the library. Trying to pick the lock with a stick until the stick breaks makes for an expensive repair."

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 10:04 pm
My son when he was two/three got very busy in my kitchen. He would climb the counters and get bowls, spoons, placemats, cereal and milk for himself and his twin. He would also plop the stuff back into the sink when he was done.

One time I made my kids baked potates and I left the room. I came back later and they were still eating a hot baked potato. My son had copied me and made another potato including putting the potato in plastic, nuking it for ten minutes, piercing it with a fork, cutting the potato in half with my very large knife, putting butter on it and s&p.

Another time he was frying eggs.

He started my car. To do this he had to press on the brake while turning the key.

Another time he locked the nanny out when she got the mail and was snickering at her. Another time he locked everyone out on the back deck. I had to climb down one story and break a window.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 10:18 pm
Brush his teeth with no water

EmesOrNT

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 10:29 pm
My 2 and a half year old made scrambled eggs for breakfast. On the hot plate. On shabbos. And he shared it with his younger brother.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 11:11 pm
BrisToBarMitzvah wrote:
This is really amazing. Boys are the best, and I love hearing from fellow mothers...

world's best Mom, do you want to share the story of the fire alarm pulled in the hospital in more detail? You left me in suspense...hold old was he? what happened next?

Sure. He was 3. We were in the hospital in Philadelphia where my dd gets treatment for her clubfeet. We had a long wait as usual, so the kids were running up and down the hallways to let out some energy when ds noticed the fire alarm on the wall and decided to try it out. All of a sudden, all the doors started to shut automatically (this happens when the fire alarm is pulled, to stop the fire from spreading)- and he was in between 2 sets of doors with no rooms in there, just hallway. I was on the other side of the doors. I quickly ran through as the doors closed, and we were stuck between 2 sets of doors together. I forced one door open and we went out to where there were rooms and people. I told someone that ds pulled the fire alarm, and the security guard came and wrote a report about it with our names in it. They were very nice about it, though. For the rest of the day, everyone there called ds "the culprit".

At our doctor's office, he's known as the famous baby since he got locked into that room there. They have a report with our names, address and phone number about that one. And the police have a report about when he called them from our hotel room in Philadelphia (luckily not the same trip when he pulled the fire alarm.) He's got a criminal record already, at 4 years old.

Merrymom

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 12:31 am
I do my best to raise my kids to be very clean. My son learned this lesson at a very young age, it took numerous attempts to get him to stop washing his hands in the toilet bowl LOL I dont want to see
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics