Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sudden Blurred Vision in 8 year old

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:01 pm
8 year old dd started complaining for the last 3-4 days of blurred vision spells. She can read/see everything ok but suddenly she starts seeing blurry. She says one word goes into the next & everything is foggy. Shes having a hard time explaining exactly how she feels but she said it happens suddenly, like a 'blackout', whatever that means. After few minutes everything goes back to normal. This happens few times a day.
She was by seen by an eye dr in July of this year & everything was fine. She didn't have a full exam just a vision check, no eye drops etc. I'll call pediatrician tomorrow but meanwhile did anyone have this? Do you know what this can mean?

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:03 pm
NYmommy wrote:
8 year old dd started complaining for the last 3-4 days of blurred vision spells. She can read/see everything ok but suddenly she starts seeing blurry. She says one word goes into the next & everything is foggy. Shes having a hard time explaining exactly how she feels but she said it happens suddenly, like a 'blackout', whatever that means. After few minutes everything goes back to normal. This happens few times a day.
She was by seen by an eye dr in July of this year & everything was fine. She didn't have a full exam just a vision check, no eye drops etc. I'll call pediatrician tomorrow but meanwhile did anyone have this? Do you know what this can mean?

it means go to the ER, now. right now.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:08 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
NYmommy wrote:

Why the ER? Can this be something that can not wait till tomorrow morning?

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:11 pm
NYmommy wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
NYmommy wrote:

you say she's having "spells." that she says she's "blacking out." these are not eye issues, they are neurological symptoms.

Tzippora

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:14 pm
Yes, this is something you go to the ER for. Immediately.

abcd123

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:16 pm
I agree about going to the ER. I dont know what the issue could be and if it is actually a problem or not,hopefully not, but IMHO you can never be too careful and nobody would think you are being silly.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:17 pm
It may be a visual migraine, or chvs something more serious. I would call the after hours service of your ped. Ask your daughter to describe it in as much detail as possible, and see what they say. RS!

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:20 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
NYmommy wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
NYmommy wrote:

you say she's having "spells." that she says she's "blacking out." these are not eye issues, they are neurological symptoms.

Okay maybe I didnt put it out right. Shes not having blackouts like shes fainting. She just has trouble explaining how she feels. she says it feels like a blackout. She was standing right next to me when it happened & I didnt see anything out of the ordinary happen.
I'm trying to reach pediatrician now. Ill see what he says. Thanks all for your help

Vegieburger

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:20 pm
Is she also very thirsty?

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:26 pm
Vegieburger wrote:
Is she also very thirsty?

She didnt complain on that, also didnt notice her drinking more than usual

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:31 pm
pls keep us posted!

Vegieburger

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:33 pm
Ok, just asking because blurred vision can be a symptom of high blood glucose. If her sugars were high enough to have vision problems she would probably also have other symptoms like thirst. Did you hear from the doctor yet? Good luck, I agree with the other posters about the Er.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:38 pm
Waiting for pediatrician to call me back. I appreciate all the help, ladies. Thank you

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 9:14 pm
Dr called me back. He said its definitely a reason for concern but not enough to run to ER. He will see her tomorrow morning I'h. Hopefully its nothing. Will try to keep you posted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics