Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Hot dogs

Leahh

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:44 am
Besides franks and blanks, any good ideas or recipes for hot dogs?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:55 am
Hot dogs and potatoes. Sautee onion and garlic a few min. Cube potatoes- I usually do one per dog- and add to pot, stir a few min. Chop hot dogs into 1 inch pieces, and mix in. Add water- a little less than needed to cover food. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and lot of paprika. Mix well. The liquid should be a deep red color. Cook on a medium flame uncovered until most of the liquid is boiled out and the rest is thickened, and potatoes are soft.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:19 am
letcho: sautee veggies like onions, pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes and spices including salt, pepper, paprika, garlic etc... Add sliced hot dogs. When soft either add egg,mix and take off flame or cooked rice.

esther09

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:24 am
I add cut up hot dogs to my split pea soup.

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:44 am
There's a recipe in KBD for sausages and peppers, you could probably use hot dogs too. It's good --peppers and onions sautéed with oil and beer, then add in sliced hot dogs. Serve over pasta or potatoes.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 9:06 am
What about good old fashioned hot dog in a bun with ketchup/mustard/sauerkraut?

etky

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 9:10 am
esther09 wrote:
I add cut up hot dogs to my split pea soup.

I put 'em in lentil soup.
Just made it last week for Parshat Toldot.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 12:10 pm
Do a search for chemistry nerd. I have a recipe here

oliveoil

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 6:55 pm
Rice with marinara sauce or canned diced tomatoes (2 different flavors but I like them both), sliced hot dogs, sliced olives and fried onions. yum. But super unhealthy.

STovah

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:12 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Hot dogs and potatoes. Sautee onion and garlic a few min. Cube potatoes- I usually do one per dog- and add to pot, stir a few min. Chop hot dogs into 1 inch pieces, and mix in. Add water- a little less than needed to cover food. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and lot of paprika. Mix well. The liquid should be a deep red color. Cook on a medium flame uncovered until most of the liquid is boiled out and the rest is thickened, and potatoes are soft.

I love this - it was made for the kids once at a family get-together on Pesach and I couldn't stop eating it Smile

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:16 pm
RECIPE for hot dogs? I always thought of hot dogs as the thing to make when there's zero time to deal with recipes - heat up, place in roll, SUPPERTIME! Such moments of desperation are the only reason I could ever justify feeding anyone I love a week's worth of sodium and probably more chemicals than one should ingest in a lifetime in one meal. Not trying to be judgy or anything, but can someone tell me WHY you would want a recipe for hot dogs?!

chillax

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:22 pm
http://veryculinary.com/2011/1.....ites/

#1baker

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:23 pm
u can make franks in blanks there yumm or hush puppies!!! yumm

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:28 pm
seeker wrote:
RECIPE for hot dogs? I always thought of hot dogs as the thing to make when there's zero time to deal with recipes - heat up, place in roll, SUPPERTIME! Such moments of desperation are the only reason I could ever justify feeding anyone I love a week's worth of sodium and probably more chemicals than one should ingest in a lifetime in one meal. Not trying to be judgy or anything, but can someone tell me WHY you would want a recipe for hot dogs?!

I actually use the nitrate/nitrite free hot dogs. So there aren't quite as many chemicals in there. It's my quick go to meal too, but I have to serve it with something. I don't usually have bread in the house. So I do the potato thing, and cut up veggies on the side. Voila, dinner! It's a favorite around here.

chillax

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:32 pm
Hot dog rice soup:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup uncooked white rice
5-6 hot dogs, cut up
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
water to cover
1 tablespoon paprika
2 1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1 tablespoon dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 1 more minute, or until onion is tender. Add the hot dogs and the tomato paste. Cover mixture completely with water.
Stir in the paprika, chicken bouillon granules and parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook over medium heat until rice is completely cooked. Add water as needed.

Leahh

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 7:37 pm
seeker wrote:

I agree with you, it is a last resort. But in my case different than what you describe. Its the last thing left in my freezer & due to finances I am not going to buy anything else right now. So I'm trying to make a decent meal out of them if thats at all possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics