Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working 9 to 5
1  2  3  Next

ny21

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 11:53 am
what hours do you work >? and how many breaks do you get?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 11:57 am
9:30 - 5:30, but I try to come in early. no breaks, really, but if I need to leave for an appt or school play or something, it's never a problem.

ny21

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 12:01 pm
that is a long day.

Basya

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 12:03 pm
I work 9-5 and fought long and hard for my 1 hour lunch break.

Sunangel

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 12:33 pm
I work from 7am to 5:15pm. I get an hour lunch, two 1/2 hour breaks and a lot of vacation time.

chaimsmom

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 1:19 pm
I make my own hours. I try to work 8:30 - 5:00 (8:30- 2:00 on Fridays in the winter), but it varies. A lot of times I come in on Sundays or in the evenings after dinner.

ny21

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 2:37 pm
you are all hard workers.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 8:59 am
I work from 8 - 2:30 with a break for lunch.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 9:42 am
I'm supposed to work 8:30 to 5:00 with a half hour lunch break. In reality I work either 8 or 8:30 to 5 (depends on whether I get a ride in or take the bus...I get in later with the bus), and usually take lunch at my desk. On the other hand, they've been really good about leaving early or coming in late if the baby's sick. And I get A LOT (17 working days) of vacation time, and possibly also off chol hamoed (not sure yet).

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 12:30 pm
In France people work from 35 to 40 hours a week, most of the time on 5 days.

anuta

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 1:43 pm
I have to work 40 hrs a week, not including any breaks, plus I leave early on Fri, so I have to make it up on other days.
I try to work from 8 to 5 every day. I take two breaks for pumping at my desk, but I work through them (read something work-related for example), and during one of them I also eat lunch.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 10:26 am
ny21: is 9:30 to 5:30 really such a "long day"? or 9 to 5? its funny when I get this reaction when I tell pl that I work 8:30 to 4:30. its like Wow such a long day, and im like what the heck, everyone on the planet works these hours if they are working full time. these are the regular standard full time working hours. so whats the shock if I say I work full time and then say my hours, why do I get this reaction??
though yes its hard to work full time when u have a family--very hard---very very hard........emotionally and physically........but arent these standard?
am I wrong?

BoomChickaPop

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 10:40 am
gold21: a lot of it depends on what you are used to. For someone that does not work at all, then working 3 hours per day may seem like a lot. For someone working more than an 8 hour day - such as accountant during busy season who works 12 hour + day - then 9-5 or 8:30-4:30 may seem like such an ideal schedule with so "few" hours.

That being said, I think that if someone can avoid the 9-5 schedule then they should, cuz it leaves less time with family. But, if you have no choice then it can be managed.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 10:43 am
It depends on what kind of support you have when you get home. If you work those hours and when you get home you have a whole other job to do such as everything involved with running your house, and you don't have any support from a cleaning lady, or from your husband, then yes you work a very long day. You are essentially working 2 jobs!

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 11:41 am
I know only1, it really is 2 jobs isnt it?
sigh Sad
its hard..........such is life, huh?
life aint perfect for anyone, gotta just count my blessings.......
but it is so overwhelming to be everything everywhere everyone

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 12:47 pm
Chol Hamoed we left at 4 PM which was a mechayah !!!!!

Yes, working until 5:30 is a long day . . . with a commute and making dinner, you don't have much of an evening left, specialy if you're tired ......

amother

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 12:53 pm
Quote:
everyone on the planet works these hours if they are working full time.

its also harder and longer in a way if u have kids cuz ure job doesnt end when u get home and its extremely tiring and hard to juggle both.... maybe thats why the reaction?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 3:07 pm
Could be. UNtil DD was 10, I workerd a shorter day, and had no commute.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 3:22 pm
sigh
its exhausting overwhelming and way too much for me to handle. no cleaning lady, very small apt, working full time, 8 month old son who doesnt sleep thru the night... anyone in same position as me out there who can relate?
I do it for the income, not for the enjoyment of working or fulfillment or whatever. I do it for rent and food on the table and clothing.
I want a bigger apt, a cleaning lady, to work shorter hours, to be able to makes supper at night and not live on fast food all day, to have a clean house, to not feel guilty about the baby being by sitter all day...........
dreams dreams

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 4:00 pm
guess not huh?
alone to wallow in my misery
rats
Confused
naaah im not THAT miserable, im really happy generally, just overwhelmed a lot, but in any case the weekends ROCK!
Very Happy
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics