Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Shopping List

coffee girl

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:34 pm
In order to cut down our expenses, I am trying to get my grocery shopping more in order. I find that I go to the local grocery store way too often, and their prices are often more expensive than the main store.

Does anyone have or know where I can find an editable master shopping list? I googled but didn't find anything too good....

TIA

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:44 pm
I made my own. Nothing I found on the internet met my needs. I tracked my purchases for a couple of months till I had a list of everything that I could possibly need to buy at that store.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 6:44 pm
from an old thread
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....28257

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 7:07 pm
I just walked through my kitchen and wrote down everything I saw and used that as a starting point. Then tracked purchases for a bit to see how often we were using up certain things.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 7:16 pm
One thing I find helps is just not going to the local grocery. If I'm out of something, I add it to next week's shopping list and simply make do without. I've learned for next time that I need more of that, and saved by not buying it or anything else in the local place. Plus, I've used something else instead that might otherwise have been forgotten and/or gotten spoiled.

I also stock up on important things that are nonperishable or easily freezable when I see a good price, that way I'm less likely to run out and be tempted to spring for it at the more expensive place. Those things go on my shopping list when there's some left rather than once I've run out already. This includes things like macaroni, canned goods, oil - stuff I use all the time and don't want to run out of, ever.

coffee girl

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 6:04 pm
Thank you peppermint for the link... that thread was quite helpful!

And seeker, thank you for the tips - I am trying to put in place a system that will help me avoid the local store... it obviously won't happen overnight, but the sooner the better!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:35 pm
You can do it! You'll be surprised to find that you really can go 3 days without flour if you really need to. I live in an overpriced neighborhood, with the exception of extenuating circumstances (e.g. I just had a baby and my sanity is more important than my budget for the moment) the only things I buy locally are fresh produce.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:52 pm
I used to make my own list based on my store's aisles. It was also helpful when DH did the grocery shopping once in a while. This way, you only walk through the aisles ONCE!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics