Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
P**** eyes

shmaichul

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:34 pm
My 2yr old and 1yr old have had bad colds for the past week. I noticed now that they both have stuff coming out of the corner of their eyes... Does anyone know what it can be?

mama-star

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:44 pm
it's mucus

shmaichul

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:51 pm
Should I be worried about it? It's quite a lot...

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:04 pm
It could be pink eye. Mucus comes from either a viral infection, like a cold, in which case it will go away after a few days. Or it could be a bacterial infection, which needs to be treated with eye drops. If you don't see an improvement, call your pediatrician, because the bacterial kind is highly contagious.

bamamama

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:05 pm
I have two kids who snot out of their eyes when they have colds - my dr has confirmed. It's prob best to check but that sounds like what you are describing.

OheivYisrael

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:15 pm
My son also gets this when he's sick- it runs in DH's family (they call it a "cold in their eye"). My opthalmologist told me it's a normal secretion and some ppl have more of it. He said to wipe the eyes with a washcloth with warm water every morning, and if necessary, use tear free shampoo on the washcloth.

I don't normally follow these instructions- only when there's reason for it- but it works!!

(His pediatricians gave us cream for pink eye with EVERY SINGLE cold- never did a thing to help.)

shmaichul

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 8:26 am
Thanks everyone! That's probably what it is then... I've just never seen it before and was getting worried it might be pink eye but it now seems unlikely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics