Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training seat, and toilet training books

Bleemee

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 11:21 am
1. Which toilet training seat do you recommend? If we have one bathroom, is it annoying to put it on and off?
Do you suggest one with steps? I am thinking about putting DC on the toilet before bath time, just to introduce the idea but want something that will be good for when she's ready.

2. Do you recommend a book for a toddler about toilet training? A baby book, she's young.

tizunabi

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 12:22 pm
We put our son on the toilet as soon as he woke up from a nap, it was usually a time when he peed and it only took him a day or so to "get the concept".
Chocolate chips were used as rewards. One for pee, two for poo.
Books for him was: Once upon a Potty, by Alona Frankel- it really is a great book.
(sorry about the short answers.. in the kitchen cooking..)

busydev

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 12:29 pm
you can choose either the separate potty or to put a smaller seat on the big people toilet.

if you do the seat on the toilet make sure you have a step stool or something that your child can reach with her feet while sitting. it helps them feel more secure (how would you feel sitting on a toilet if your feet wouldnt reach the floor?). the stool does not need to be attached to the toilet seat. the toilet seats are not a biggy to take on and off. they are small. no harder then lowering or raising the cover.

there are tons of toilet training books all with different extent of pictures, graphics and words. my son isnt ready for training yet, but we got a whole bunch of free books from an old colleague that included a book called potty for me and my son keeps bringing it to me to read. its one of his favorites. I would suggest going to a library and seeing the options so you can find one you are comfortable with. most are written for young children...

also a recommendation that I have read is to let your child see you sit on the toilet. this way they arent as scared and since they love copying their parents they will potentially want to sit there too and "be big".

Bleemee

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 6:48 pm
I don't want a separate potty, rather one on the toilet. Any recommendations?

sky

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 6:55 pm
For the toilet seat I got whatever was cheap at Target. My kids had an easy time taking it on and off themselves. I let my child pick it the graphic this way it was exciting for them (we got underwear during the same trip). It is worth it to get one for each bathroom in your house when ready to train - this way you aren't transferring it from room to room.
One of my kids chose this one: http://www.target.com/p/ginsey.....0seat
For a book I went to barns and nobles on a trip with my kids and we looked through the potty books there - read some - and chose one to take home. Our favourite one we ended up with was 'the Potty Book for boys' by Alyssa Satin Capucilli. Its cute and the illustrations are not too graphic.

A good book for the mommy is Toilet training in under a day. It was recommended on here, and even though I didn't follow it exactly, I felt that a lot of the ideas in there were excellent. And it is designed to work with very young children.

Last edited by sky on Thu, Nov 29 2012, 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 6:55 pm
I had one with steps as a kid, and I remember loving it. (the sides were giraffes with red spots. it was really cute.) I remember climbing those steps myself, though at the time I was fully trained. my own kids used a potty and a cushioned seat with handles, no steps. I also had a folding seat to take traveling with us, and a travel potty. (I know, I have too much gear for my kids. ) I liked the padded seat, but you do have to lift the child on. if you have two small children (my older two are 14 months apart), it may be best to have a seat the child can climb onto by herself. you can use a stool, but I'd suggest one with two steps.

they're all good options. if you get the one with the steps, make sure to read some reviews and find out if the grips at the base stay put. I thought of getting one of those for my kids, but the reviews complained of slipping. I don't know what's available now.

3mitzvos

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 8:17 pm
I also recommend a seat with steps. I found it less annoying (cleaning-up wise) and my daughter loved climbing the ladder to make on the "big toilet". It's also more convenient than having a seat and separate step-stool.

Here's the one I got from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mommys-H....._ba_1

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 9:47 pm
I don't recommend a seat with steps for boys. You don't want something that will take more than a millisecond to take off the seat when they need to pee.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training