Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Breathing problems in 5 month old

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:23 am
I watch a few babies from my home including my own. today a mother dropped her sick child off and told me he is having trouble breathing and his breaths are 36 breaths a min and she didnt know what that means. she called the dr who told her not to be concerned
meanwhile I tell her I will have to keep my baby away and she says my baby is too old (10 months) to have these complications.
im keeping her kid far away from everyone and luckily they are all sleeping

im kind of shocked she brought him! I never would have...

could he have rsv?

Liba

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:27 am
36 breaths per minute is normal for a five month old. The normal range at that age is 25-40 breaths per minute, hence her pediatrician not being worried about the respiratory rate.

I am not saying the child is well. I really can't tell that from the information you gave.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:45 am
thanks liba

she said he is eating and acting ok. He had a very bad ear infection last week and now his breathing is very heavy and sounds "wet". he is drippy from nose and eyes and very congested. He is sleeping now so I cant tell much else. her concern is that his dr did hear him wheezing.
my concern is for the other kids. I watch a 3 month old. she isnt here yet but I wont put them anywhere near eachother...

Liba

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 10:51 am
Do you have a "sick child" policy? Why did she leave him if she is worried about him to have taken him to the doctor and he isn't acting okay?

Refuah shelayma! I hope he is better soon and everyone else stays healthy.

busydev

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
thanks liba

she said he is eating and acting ok. He had a very bad ear infection last week and now his breathing is very heavy and sounds "wet". he is drippy from nose and eyes and very congested. He is sleeping now so I cant tell much else. her concern is that his dr did hear him wheezing.
my concern is for the other kids. I watch a 3 month old. she isnt here yet but I wont put them anywhere near eachother...

sounds like a cold/cough.

my son had wheezing breaths at 4mo, at 7-8 months, one time in the summer and last week. drippy nose and congested and wet are the key words.

if the baby seems air hungry then I would be more concerned. Def keep them away from each other and I agree you should have a sick child policy... but not so sure you can have cough/colds as a sickness that they cant come.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics