Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
"Salads from a can"- any good recipes?
1  2  Next

OutATowner

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 9:48 pm
I want to make more salads but I usually do not have the time/patience/energy to wash and cut up fresh vegetables. Very often I will buy vegetables and they'll go bad b/c I didn't use them. Bags of iceberg lettuce aren't always fresh. I also want to make salads that I can double/triple and keep in the fridge for the week. I want to be able to grab a few cans of veggies or legumes and whip together a salad.
I don't mind cutting up a cucumber or pepper here and there, (to go with the canned veggie) as they will usually stay well in the fridge or will be eaten as a snack.
So, I'm thinking chickpeas, baby corn, any beans....
Any good recipes you'd like to share? Smile

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 9:53 pm
I recommend you buy some pre-shredded cabbage and make cole slaw. it needs to marinade for a bit for the flavors to mix, and there's no chopping involved.

if you are ok with bagged salad, try to get the bodek iceberg snacks. there are four individual servings of iceberg mix in each bag, so use one every day for lunch. you can put some canned corn and hard boiled eggs on top with the dressing of your choice. I'd add some peppers or cucumbers if you have the time.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:01 pm
-corn salad (niblets, red pepper, onion, pickle, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, onion and garlic powder, salt & pepper)

-bean salad (green beans, yellow wax beans, red kidney beans, Italian dressing)

-chickpea salad
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ckpea

momsprince

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:02 pm
cucumber salad and marinated beets also keep long in the fridge.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:04 pm
buy a bag of shredded carrots and make lemony dill carrot salad. stays fresh a while in the fridge

momsprince

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:04 pm
lettuce and cherry tomatoes with ceaser dressing or tomatoes and onion salad are both really quick and easy to make.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:41 pm
Thanks for the ideas!
Quote:
I recommend you buy some pre-shredded cabbage and make cole slaw. it needs to marinade for a bit for the flavors to mix, and there's no chopping involved.

if you are ok with bagged salad, try to get the bodek iceberg snacks. there are four individual servings of iceberg mix in each bag, so use one every day for lunch.

I can't always find coleslaw bags with a hechsher, and we don't have Bodek salad bags either. I'm thinking of making my own coleslaw in a food processor, but do I have to check each layer?

Love the Italian dressing idea with the beans.
The chickpea salad also looks good- I'll try that.
I think I'm going to stock up on baby corn, corn, beans, peas, and play around with different light bottled dressings. Nothing beats a fresh salad, but what can you do? DH thinks potato kugel is a vegetable. Something must be done.

tsiggelle

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:54 pm
mushroom, pickles, red pepper with a mayo vinegar salt and pepper dressing

exhausted

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 5:22 am
Lentil salad. Also, marinated vegetable salad or cucumber salad aren't from a can but can sit in the fridge for over a week.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 6:59 am
You can also make a salad from a bag of frozen peas. Add finely diced red onion and a mayo dressing.

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 8:07 am
can of corn
can of chickpeas
diced pepper
you can add some olives and/or onions if you like

dressing- equal amounts of oil and lemon juice

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 9:35 am
- if you can make cucumber salad, you can make tomato salad (tomatos, red onion, and don't remember the exact dressing but can get it if you're interested- oil, red wine vinegar, spices)- also sits well for a week and is great
- corn niblets, chopped red onion and pepper, dressing is oil/sugar/vinegar
- black beans, corn niblets, red onion, red pepper; dressing is oil, red wine vinegar (I put in some balsamic), salt, cumin
- there's a really good purple cabbage salad from Susie Fishbein that keeps well in the fridge

Basically anything that's marinated keeps well- there are a few bean salads out there, a lot of pasta salads, etc.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 9:57 am
there is a great quinoa salad at
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....26128

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:16 am
OutATowner wrote:
Thanks for the ideas!
Quote:

if you are ok with bagged salad, try to get the bodek iceberg snacks. there are four individual servings of iceberg mix in each bag, so use one every day for lunch.

I can't always find coleslaw bags with a hechsher, and we don't have Bodek salad bags either. I'm thinking of making my own coleslaw in a food processor, but do I have to check each layer?

Love the Italian dressing idea with the beans.
The chickpea salad also looks good- I'll try that.
I think I'm going to stock up on baby corn, corn, beans, peas, and play around with different light bottled dressings. Nothing beats a fresh salad, but what can you do? DH thinks potato kugel is a vegetable. Something must be done.

the way I check iceberg lettuce and cabbage is as follows (from my family rav. I've been doing this since young adulthood):

remove the first three leaves/layers (the layer is usually one leaf). toss those. (sometimes I set them aside to check separately later.) remove next three layers, rinse and check by holding up to the light. check both sides of the stem as the light doesn't come through well, and check all the little folds (it's not as hard as it sounds, it's really quite quick). if the second three layers are fine, the rest of the head does not require checking. if you find a bug, check until you find three layers in a row that are bug-free. everything underneath should not require checking. if you find a bug or two, you can just remove them. I have only found seriously infested lettuce once, and it took about ten seconds, nine of which were used to remove the leaves from the head. you don't need a food processor to shred, you can just slice it thin with the head held sideways.

MMCH

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 2:11 pm
beet salad
--slice beets with onions and pour lemon juice olive oil sugar salt and pepper

corn salad

ra-mom-
can you post exact dressing instructions to that pea salad?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 7:11 pm
roasted pepper salad lasts for a week. Ditto for cooked moroccan carrot salad, roasted beetroot salad (scrub, top & tail and wrap the whole beetroots in a foil. bake in an oven till soft.)

(frozen) petite pois/baby green peas salad--defrost/microwave, add a bit of mayo and chopped radishes. salt and pepper

heart of palm salad

sped

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 7:32 pm
I make "coleslaw" with shredded kohlrabi and carrot. It doesn't have to be checked, tastes really good and is easier on the stomach.
Also: dill - corn salad: corn, mayo, chopped dill
frozen veg salad - frozen veg semi cooked by pouring boiling water over them, waiting and draining the water off. Do this a few times and the veggies are crisp and semi cooked. Dress with mayo and spices.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 7:48 pm
vordale wrote:
beet salad
--slice beets with onions and pour lemon juice olive oil sugar salt and pepper

corn salad

ra-mom-
can you post exact dressing instructions to that pea salad?
this is approximate

10-16 oz. frozen peas, thawed
1/2 red onion, finely diced
3-5 Tbsp mayo
salt and pepper, to taste

(You can add a squirt of mustard if you like. Another option is to garnish with match stick size pieces of smoked turkey breast.)

jkw

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 10:08 am
Our favourite!

Use your vinagrette recipe for dressing.
Either cook frozen corn or use canned.
Add FROZEN peas (yes, that's right) to drained corn. Add: chopped celery, red pepper, scallion, whatever you want.
Add vinagrette. Mix. Best if made Fri am if you want for Shabbos -- the frozen peas will defrost and stay bright green.

I would give credit for this recipe if I could remember where I first saw it.

Enjoy

2gether

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 10:27 am
FRIED CORN SALAD

-saate 1 diced onion and a cubed pepper, in a nice amount of oil,
-add :a can of mushrooms, cut up
2 T. soya sauce, fry for another 2 min.
-add a can of corn, fry for another 2 min.

this is very tasty, original , and pretty because of the color combo.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics