Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Diagnosing pandas

amother

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 4:18 pm
I am starting the journey to see if my dd should be diagnosed with pandas.
she has the behavior issues, and her blood strep levels are elevated.
what should be my next step?
getting her diagnosed with a psychological disorder? that can then be blamed on the strep?

I dont know if her behavior issues are enough to warrant calling it a disorder, but if they are the result of pandas I want to go this route, so that it can be treated.

does having strep again trigger the issues to worsen?

she has a whole history, that I have discussed with my ped. but I dont feel like he took me seriously enough.

I'm trying to gather more info so I can know what to ask for.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 6:26 pm
It looks from a quick read like the treatment for PANDAS is similar to the treatment for OCD and/or tics. You'll probably want a crackerjack diagnostician to take a look at her, because there seems to be some concern about PANDAS being overdiagnosed.

Do you know of a good psychiatrist? A good counselor? You'll probably want to consider cognitive behavior therapy for the OCD behavior, and maybe an SSRI.

There seem to be differing opinions about having strep again. It may vary from kid to kid, or circumstance to circumstance.

Refuah shleima!

B"H YOM YOM

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 6:34 pm
PANDAS is serious and real. If you have a ped that does not take the concept of PANDAS seriously (whether or not your child has it), then I'd find someone who does. It can be diagnosed with a blood test and the treatment is usually an extended course of antibiotics. For a simple explanation see Dr. Susan Shulman's book: 'Understanding Your Child's Health'. It has a clear description of most common childhood maladies along with their symptoms and treatment. Refuah Shelaimah.

goforit

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 6:44 pm
unfortunally I am pretty familiar with this pm me for my phone #.

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 6:54 pm
Where are you located?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 10:39 pm
I am not in the US.
what type of dr can diagnose pandas?
What blood test will determine it?
Is a history of ocd behaviour that gets worse after strep and suspected strep, good enough?
Is it possible to be infected with strep and affected by it without the very typical symptoms? I wonder if she had strep more often than I realized.
She gets fevers very very often. And has almost never been tested for strep during them. I think I have to get her checked for strep at every fever. Even without a sore throat.
How long after strep do the blood levels remain above normal? I wonder if she had strep again more recently than the time I know about which was at least 6 months ago.

goforit

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 11:47 pm
you need to check the dnsa and (one other thing) usally a peditrician diagnoses it. dr. schulman is the big maven but pls pm I will tell you what worked for me. I just found out there are also some natural ways of healing it. you can have pandas without the typical stmptons. it start from age 3. it can stay high for a few years! It usally gets better and then worse (tics bedwetting hard time falling asleep sensory issues) after another strep. good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers