Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for friend who gave birth after IF. any ideas?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:37 pm
My friend went thru a hard pregnancy after a few yrs of infertility. I want to get a present for her. I think her baby will get so many presents so I want to give something for her, the new mommy.

The community is taking care of meals so no gift certificates to a take out store. I do not think she will appreciate a gift certificate for a manicure.

Any other ideas?

busydev

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:47 pm
why not take out? community only gives meals for so long... and then there are those days after where you just dont have it altogether... but arent getting meals anymore.

a friend gave me a gift set of lotion, body wash etc... I never actually used it tho...

would she go for a massage?

Offer to watch the baby so she gets some much needed sleep in like a month. (thats when I really got tired)

spring13

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:55 pm
What about a simple birthstone necklace or other piece of jewelry? Even if it's not something she ends up wearing a lot, it could be a nice keepsake. A pendant with her baby's name/initials and birthdate would be sweet.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:57 pm
Please give her the same gift you'd give to any new mother. It's unlikely your friend wants to be treated differently just because this baby came about through heroic measures.

Self-pampering products like a collection of lotions, shampoos and so on--dry shampoo would probably be really appreciated because finding time to wash your hair in the weeks pp is very difficult, and you feel so grungy. Anything that will help your friend feel and look human: light body spray, lip balm, skin products that are safe to eat (think cracked nipples...), fragrance towelettes (but in a light, fresh scent, nothing heavy or strong), breath spray (for when she doesn't get a chance to brush her teeth) facial blotters and anything else that short-cuts personal grooming.

Or an organizer thingie that drapes over a chair arm and can hold cell phone, glasses, magazine, and similar things that are always going astray.

mother of boyz

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 3:04 pm
How about a gift certificate to portrait studio for baby?

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 5:25 pm
I would still gift something to the baby ... but something that it won't grow out of in a month ... a fancy mezuza for the baby room, classic books that last a lifetime, etc.

you can always add something for her as well - but only cause you sound like close friends rather than she needs extra pampering due to fertility issues ... calgon take me away Drunken Smile

p.s. the portrait idea above is wonderful

Sherri

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 5:42 pm
I also like the portrait idea. What's your budget? You can go lower-end or higher-end.

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 5:44 pm
Give your friend the same thing you would give to any woman. No woman wants to feel like IF is the only thing people associate with her.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 5:47 pm
Happy18 wrote:
Give your friend the same thing you would give to any woman. No woman wants to feel like IF is the only thing people associate with her.
I'd say go with your gut feeling about your friend. Some women might want their first birth after much difficulty to be associated as such. If in doubt, do without- just go regular.

yksraya

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 5:58 pm
my sister had a baby after IF and got many gifts like fancy baby toys, bouncer, car seat etc.. and a ton of size newborn and 3 mo. Clothing. However, size 9 mo+ is what ppl usually don't buy and is sometimes well needed as it's hard to make ends meet with a new baby home. I bought her a high chair but I'd buy that for any of my sisters with or without IF issues.

mrshj

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 6:33 pm
I would have loved to receive a gift card for a photo session. I just gave birth and would love to take pics of my baby. But I didn't get around to it and if someone would have given that to me it would take the headache off my shoulders since I then don't have to decide where to go and how much to spend. Coming from a new mother, I would definitely appreciate that. So if anybody recognizes my screen name, you know what to get me. (Kidding)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics