Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 year old dentures???

avigail

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:12 pm
I just got back from the dentist with my two-year old. She wants to among other thing, pull out the four top front teeth and give her fake ones. anyone ever have experience with anything like this??? I cant picture this working!

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:15 pm
What's wrong with the teeth? Are they rotten? My daughter has crowns but not the same thing.

smiledr

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:17 pm
It's called a pedo partial and if its sole purpose is for esthetics then don't do it. Sometimes wen I extract baby teeth early I place space maintainers to prevent shifting if teeth so when adult teeth come in there is room to erupt. However w four front teeth extracted there is almost never shifting if the teeth into that space so pedo partials are rather uncommon. They are hard to clean and can there for cause more decay on teeth they are bonded plus the child can get fungal infections and its plain uncomfortable. I obviously haven't seen your child but maybe go for a second opinion?

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:22 pm
My son has also had multiple crowns. Some of them have had to be replaced and the dentist said that if the crown breaks again he is going to have to pull the tooth. He has never mentioned dentures though.

My friend's son knocked out his front tooth and the dentist made a retainer and on the retainer was a fake tooth. The point was to keep the space open and keep the other teeth from moving. Is that the type of dentures they are talking about?

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:25 pm
smiledr wrote:
It's called a pedo partial and if its sole purpose is for esthetics then don't do it. Sometimes wen I extract baby teeth early I place space maintainers to prevent shifting if teeth so when adult teeth come in there is room to erupt. However w four front teeth extracted there is almost never shifting if the teeth into that space so pedo partials are rather uncommon. They are hard to clean and can there for cause more decay on teeth they are bonded plus the child can get fungal infections and its plain uncomfortable. I obviously haven't seen your child but maybe go for a second opinion?

Smile I knocked out my front teeth, all four of them, by the time I was 2. My teeth shifted despite a wired in space maintainer (which I broke over and over again and scraped my tongue). I had to get braces to allow room for my adult teeth to come in. I didn't realize that it was so uncommon! I wonder why they put the space maintainer in if they usually don't shift anyway.

avigail

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:44 pm
she said its mainly for speech development. yes, they were rotten, and she fell and cracked them. so she only has small stubs of teeth right now, and she is starting to say lisp a bit.
they want to pull it because a- risk of infection
b- help speech development
smiledr, youre making me nervous. why are they hard to clean?
and this was my 3rd opinion!!!
I actually thought this might be a better option.

smiledr

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 1:25 pm
I just wrote a long post and it got deleted so lets try again - I often have to extract four front teeth and only once did I make pedo partial on request of the father. That doesn't mean it isn't the right option for your child. If ur child developed a tongue thrust and or speech issues it may be needed and even tho there tends to be minimal shifting in this situation that isn't the case for everyone but keep in mind most kids have braces for one reason or another ...if two or three dentists have u the same treatment plan then go for it. I tell my patients parents that baby teeth are practice teeth and font make same mistake twice. That means brush and floss ur toddlers teeth bring them in for reg check ups and font nurse ur babies all night long bec it'll rot their front teeth.

smiledr

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 1:31 pm
They are to clean in the area of the fake teeth and child can get fungal infection - same as pple who don't have proper denture hygiene.

bnm

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 1:47 pm
I remember a classmate of mine had a fake tooth attached to her bite plate so they don't loose the space but that was because a tooth had never grown in and she was done with braces and waiting to put in an implant
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics