Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
So many fruits, rarely any veggies

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 11:25 pm
The title says it all. Ds (3) loves all type of fruit, however he doesn't each much in the way of veggies. He will occasionally have a bit of broccoli or cauliflower or tomatoes. He also eat sweet potato (which is not really a veggie, but still full of vitamins)

Is he getting enough vitamins? Any ideas for veggies that are healthy and kids like. No frying or extra patcka please.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 11:29 pm
Baked butternut squash "fries", dipped in ketchup. Baby carrots dipped in cream cheese or dressing. Corn on the cob.

No soup? No salad, even if there are pickles or something else he likes in there? Have you tried arranging the vegetables on a plate in some interesting shape, or using cookie cutters to make them more fun?

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 11:33 pm
he doesn't like soup or salad, even with pickles. he'll occasionally eat a bite or two of salad.

What kind of shapes? What kind of veggies?

How do I make butternut squash fries? Aren't they very hard to cut?

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 11:38 pm
Buy a smaller butternut squash, theyre easier to cut. Just slice it like fries. Toss with olive oil and kosher salt, bake on parchment lined cookie sheet at 400 until crispy at ends. It's delicious.

Take whatever veggies he will eat and cut them up and plate so it looks like a dog or a fire truck or a train or whatever he likes. You can also buy mini cookie cutters and cut out the actual veg into fun shapes. Peppers, tomatoes, kohlrabi, whatever. Offer whatever dips he likes to make it more exciting.

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 11:40 pm
gotta start making it a priority. Thanks!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 12:09 am
I remember reading in a magazine- maybe babytalk or something- that fruits are good enough to give kids vitamins. It said not to worry if they don't eat veggies, as long as they eat plenty of fruit instead.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 12:24 pm
Does he eat humus? My kids love cucumber-humus sandwiches

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:40 pm
He used to love chummus, but hasn't liked it in almost a year.

I made a big chicken soup today and because he "helped me" he ate a nice amount of chicken and veggies from it.

Also, two nights ago I made broccoli as the veggies and sat down with him and after each bite of chicken and sweet potato, had to come a bite of broccoli. He kept telling me that he doesn't like it so much, but he ate almost all of the ones on his plate.

I just have to make a more concerted effort because till now I was always concerned with protein, as long as he ate protein (because carbs are never the issue with him) then I was happy. But I realized that needs more than that for a balanced diet.

It's not that he doesn't like veggies, it's that he would rather eat something else.

disneyland

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 12:46 am
I sometimes hide the veggies in something. But my kids actually did not like that either. Recently I have started just trying to find really healthy foods that they like including muffins and smoothies.
Another thing I plan to start is making a few different kinds of muffins and smoothies on the same day and seeing which one they like the best.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers