Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Keeping Imamother a safe environment for all members
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Inspired

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 3:32 pm
Changing your SN simply does not help because in 5 seconds you just look at any old post where you are quoted and there it is, your old SN and new SN linked in the thread because someone quoted "Squishy" when that post was made by "notsquishy". It isn't outing when something is in public on a thread. Sorry.
I do think anyone outing things from private boards either IRL or on public boards should be kicked off Im and have their IP address banned.

Shmerling

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 3:44 pm
Inspired wrote:
Changing your SN simply does not help because in 5 seconds you just look at any old post where you are quoted and there it is, your old SN and new SN linked in the thread because someone quoted "Squishy" when that post was made by "notsquishy". It isn't outing when something is in public on a thread. Sorry.
I do think anyone outing things from private boards either IRL or on public boards should be kicked off Im and have their IP address banned.

It is possible to get a new IP address, just saying.

Bottom line, like CM said, Imamother is not a totally safe haven.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 3:52 pm
Shmerling wrote:
Bottom line, like CM said, Imamother is not a totally safe haven.

But nowhere is truly safe.

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:11 pm
Inspired wrote:

But couldn't I open a new account and they won't link?

I would still have the problem of being outed as The Poster Formerly Known As Squishy.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
Inspired wrote:

But couldn't I open a new account and they won't link?

I would still have the problem of being outed as The Poster Formerly Known As Squishy.

You'd have to ask Yael. Generally one account is allowed per person.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:34 pm
Don't people have anything better to do than figure out who's who?
I never thought of trying or linking. In fact I don't usually notice who wrote what. Unless its an exceptionally insightful post Smile.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:14 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
I never thought of trying or linking. In fact I don't usually notice who wrote what. Unless its an exceptionally insightful post Smile.

that makes two of us.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:19 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:

Sometimes there's no thought going into it, it just hits you in the face. When posters have a very distinct style of writing and punctuating, and are very open about certain parts of their lives under their usernames and reference that same information and use the same style when they post as amother, it's almost impossible not to know who it is.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:22 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Culturedpearls wrote:

Sometimes there's no thought going into it, it just hits you in the face. When posters have a very distinct style of writing and punctuating, and are very open about certain parts of their lives under their usernames and reference that same information and use the same style when they post as amother, it's almost impossible not to know who it is.

Really? I don't even pay attention to any "style" & I certainly don't keep track. Heck, I have enough going on in real life never mind cyberspace.
Seriously, some people need to get out a bit!
I didn't even take note of your SN now. Who cares?

black sheep

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:26 pm
am I the only one who has never, ever recognized an anonymous poster based on her writing style? it was mentioned on another thread a few weeks back and I decided to try and see if I could connect amothers to screen names based on writing style, and for the life of me I cannot. is there a trick I don't know about?

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:38 pm
it is sooooo annoying reading posts like " are you the same amother that just posted this or that?" it's as if these imamothers have nothing better to do but try to connect dots that don't really connect and it comes across as excessively yentish and guess what? I bet they are usually wrong. because then the op usually comes back and says "no, I'm not the amother from that thread."

peppermint

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 9:23 pm
black sheep wrote:
am I the only one who has never, ever recognized an anonymous poster based on her writing style? it was mentioned on another thread a few weeks back and I decided to try and see if I could connect amothers to screen names based on writing style, and for the life of me I cannot. is there a trick I don't know about?
I too have never figured out an anonymous poster's screen name based on her writing style.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 9:28 pm
peppermint wrote:
I too have never figured out an anonymous poster's screen name based on her writing style.

Good for you, but obviously some people have. Not all cops make detective, either.

black sheep

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 9:31 pm
zaq wrote:
peppermint wrote:

Good for you, but obviously some people have. Not all cops make detective, either.

also some people claim they have, but really they haven't. not all detectives are good at what they do.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 10:58 pm
Now I'm worried. Do I have a writing style Smile?
Don't people sound/write different depending on mood & topic?
If someone enjoys this type of stuff can you please volunteer your services in my shidduchim research? Please?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:02 pm
Heey this must be why so many amothers have spectacularly terrible spelling and grammar - they're just disguising their writing styles!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:06 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
If someone enjoys this type of stuff can you please volunteer your services in my shidduchim research? Please?

Lol

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:23 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Heey this must be why so many amothers have spectacularly terrible spelling and grammar - they're just disguising their writing styles!

Good point. See, one must always be Dan L'kaf Zchus Smile !!

bluebird

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 12:05 am
gp2.0 wrote:

I actually do alter my writing style when I post as amother ever since I saw a thread in which several posters claimed to identify an amother based on her excessive use of semicolons. I wasn't that amother, but I'm a semicolon lover myself and I make sure not to use them when posting as amother now.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 1:13 am
It's happened many times that people assumed I was amother when I definitely was not. I think writing styles are catchy. For example I'll use an uncommonly used everyday word, say "denigrate". Suddenly there's all these amother posts using the word denigrate as well and now I suddenly become the face of amother. I'm having to come up with fancier and fancier words all the time LOL
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics