Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What to mix with baby cereal?
1  2  3  Next

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:29 pm
Ive started giving my baby solids and I have been mixing Oatmeal with breastmilk, which she loves!
However, I am getting the milk out manually, which is annoying and sometimes uncomfortable and it takes a long time! I also feel she would eat more if I made more Oatmeal, but its taking a toll on my breasts!
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could mix in? I dont want to use juice, unless someone has a wonder juice that has no sugar etc.
I have formula, but only in powder form and I dont want to open a can for a few drops.
Does anyone use water? Is there a special water to give to babies or just regular bottled water will do?
My last baby was bottle fed, so I used formula for her, any suggestions are welcome!

JMto2

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:32 pm
water is not good it makes it tasteless. why not buy a cheap hand pump and use that to get out your milk. you can use formula make a scoop and add in the liquid into the cereal

dr pepper

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:33 pm
I put bottled water in the cereal. Or boiled tap water.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:33 pm
you can use filtered water, I think.
I agree its' not worth opening a can of formula for it...I did at one point, but it wasn't used in time.
once your baby is on apple sauce, you can try mixing in some of that, as well! (probably with water)

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:35 pm
I bought the can of powdered formula and made up a small amount for each bowl. My babies hated it with juice.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:38 pm
I always used apple juice- and my kids loved it. I figured they got enuf milk from nursing that I wasnt gonna pump for cereal.

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:39 pm
Should I use the Beechnut apple juice?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:40 pm
JMto2 wrote:
water is not good it makes it tasteless.
\

babies usually don't mind the taste.
they don't have much to compare it to. Tongue Out

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:43 pm
Okay, I am going to experiment with the water first, I really would rather wait on the juice. Thanks for all of your replies.

Ima'la

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:57 pm
I had the same dilemma. My baby doesn't care for applesauce and eats enough fruit, so I mix it with pureed vegetables. I also mix it in when I feed my baby chicken soup - makes the soup more filling and easier to feed to the baby - not drippy!

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 12:23 am
Thanx Imala, but I am waiting to get past the single ingredient stage. I dont think I should feed her chicken soup yet, although that was a major staple in my oldest childs diet! I used the broth, the chicken, the veggies...

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 1:14 am
I also use water. Sometimes from the tap, sometimes boiled.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 1:21 am
don't use water.....baby really needs calories and water has none!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 2:09 am
As someone already suggested... why not mix up some of the powdered formula with water and then add that to the cereal?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 2:25 am
As OP already wrote, she doesnt want to open a can of formula for a few scoops.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 2:38 am
amother wrote:
As OP already wrote, she doesnt want to open a can of formula for a few scoops.

First of all, the powdered stuff has a long shelf life. Second of all, if she's looking for things to mix with food, chances are she'll end up finishing the container of formula.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 2:45 am
I realize that she doesn't want to open up a can of formula for a few scoops, however, this is an issue of what's better for her baby. it's much better for her baby to have the vitamins and calories from the formula than the zero nutrition that water has to offer. she can buy the ready made liquid formula and al she has to do is pour in some of the formula straight into the cereal. it's much better for the baby than water and she probably won';t even end up wasting that much formula. these are sacrifices that we have to make for the health of our children.....I'm sure she has plenty of other food in the house that had to be thrown out and wasted.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 8:38 am
yoyo I have used rice dream or soy dream or water. but I don't feed my babies cereal b/c they won't let me. so the cereal stage doesn't last long.

Yoyo its defeintly not worth opening a can of formula for a few ounces. I mean how much cereal are you giving your baby? Even a little bit of apple juice. Why not apple juice if its the sugar your worried about I never did. Formula is full of sugar and breastmilk is very sweet so they have had sweet food all this time which is probably why they like the sweet stuff.

Why is using formula better for the babies health?

mommy24

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 8:47 am
I have always added water to the cereal. I only nurse my kids and to pump each time made no sense. What I did do was add an extra nursing or two. Just for a few minutes. The babies have no problem with the cereal being tasteless and the extra nursings, added no extra problems when it was time to wean. ( 3 of my 4 kids weaned themselves by 11 or 12 months)

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 8:52 am
Hi everyone, like I said, I am not opening a whole can of formula for a tablespoon of Oatmeal. Of course I care about my baby's nutrition and I am willing to 'waste' for her, but I think this is unneccesary.
I dont care if amother was critical, Im not listening to her!
So far, I nurse exclusively, I have tried formula bottles in the past just to get her to take a bottle, she wont touch it. I dont think formula is an option, its only there for extreme emergencies.
Water does worry me, for calorie concerns. Apple juice isnt my favorite but I could always get the Beechnut brand, which is made for babies.
Or, I could torture my nipples just a little longer! Right now, I have to just get out to the store to buy some juice, I will try it out. Worse comes to worse, I will pull out my hand pump and get the milk that way.
Thank you for all of the replies.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics