Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Jew married to non-Jew can't be buried in Jewish cemetery?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 2:26 pm
if s/o marries a nonJew, they can't be burried in a Jewish cemetary?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 3:35 pm
I think so, unless they did teshuva. They have taken themselves out of the Jewish people, r"l.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 3:48 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
if s/o marries a nonJew, they can't be burried in a Jewish cemetary?

I know of intermarried Jews buried in Jewish cemeteries.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:02 pm
Quote:
I know of intermarried Jews buried in Jewish cemeteries.

Quote:
I think so, unless they did teshuva. They have taken themselves out of the Jewish people, r"l.

My husband just went to a funeral a week or two ago for an old lady who married out, had lots of kids (who all married non-Jews and did not identify at all as Jews) Several years ago she started coming to Shul every Shabbos, so perhaps you can say she did teshuva.

The Rav would not let her children tear Kriah or sit Shiva or anything, apparantly because they identify as Christians. (I was a little surpised at this, since they didn't have any say in the matter - it was their mothers (and non-Jewish fathers) choice.)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:54 pm
WOW, REALLY..........

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 5:51 pm
Never heard of any such thing and would be interested in hearing sources for such an opinion.

Perhaps this is like the burying shomer Shabbos issue - certain groups of people deciding that they only want to be buried among the "frum"?

I know intermarried Jews are buried in our local Jewish cemetary. The only born Jew that I know who was refused a burial there was a prominent Jew for Yoshke, and there was a community decision that he shouldn't be allowed to be buried there because he not only turned away from Judaism himself, but actively engaged luring other Jews to Yoshke and away from Judaism.

Raisin - I can't understand the possible halachic basis for that rabbis statement. The mother was a Jew, period, regardless of whom she married. We believe that the child of a Jewish mother is a Jew, period. Halacha is binding on Jews, period, regardless of how they happen to identify.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 9:45 am
I tell ya, that's what the rabbi aid in the shiur and all the attendees seeemed to know what he was talking about.

DH knew nothing about it.

healthymama

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 8:58 pm
Quote:
The Rav would not let her children tear Kriah or sit Shiva or anything, apparantly because they identify as Christians

I don't really understand this story. If the children identify as Christians, why would they want to tear kriah or sit shivah ?

withhumor

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 9:16 pm
it's a minhag, not a halacha.

ny21

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 9:23 pm
I heard the answer is yes because they are still jewish.

I always thought the answer would be no.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics