Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Purim Seuda Theme
1  2  Next

rainbow baby

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 6:07 am
I'am loking for a theme for the Purim Seuda. Basically it needs to be easy and simple this is the reason why. In the afternoon around lunch time we are making a Seuda for my dhs class. That is sorted as the food needs to be simple otherwise the kids will not eat it. I'am hoping to be finished with that party around 2ish which will leave me just around three hours to get ready for the main Seuda. I'am probably going to have around 8 to 10 adults and 9 children. I was thinking of doing it buffet style. So any ideas anyone?

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 6:34 am
We went to a friend last year who made a Mexican theme. The couple are from Texas so they know a lot about Mexican food. The food was, if I can remember: refried beans/chili - something like that, salsa, chips, guacamole, meat of some sort, all stuff to make tacos. The table decorations were Mexican too.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 6:45 am
Purim theme? Kreplach, raisin challa, whatever other food you like (You can keep with the kreplach theme and make pies and bourekas)

Decorate with masks.

Otherwise we have done for our shul party: Israeli, persian, italian.

Any ideas for this year?

mumof1

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:03 am
how about just traditional? I love it!
brisket, sweet and sour meatballs, deli roll, potato knishes etc.
its easy when its buffet, def. do buffet!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:18 am
Last year, I covered the tables with paper tableclothes and tossed crayons in the middle. Cups, napkins, small plates, large plates and bowls (all plstic) were all different colors.

Then we did the seudah backwards, starting with dessert and ending with soup.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:35 am
I love it kmeilion!

for kids, why not to finger foods, chicken nuggets, coctail franks, minion burgers (basicly flat meatballs, and french fries an onionrings. Or if you want to make it dairy, do mini pizzas fench fries, mini knishes (can buy frozen) if its just for his students, you do not need to go all out, kids don't need a fancy theme, just good simple fun food.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:55 am
Thanks for all the suggestions please keep them coming in. I might do a whole combination of foods and I think I'am going to try and do as much as possible before hand and then freeze it. I think I'am definately going to go for a buffet for the main course.

Kmelion I loved that idea of doing everything backwrds but did the kids eat anything?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 11:07 am
Yep, they ate... what I did was not make it self-serve. I plated the portions to make sure that no one pigged out on the dessert.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 11:10 am
I'v read your idea out to DH Kmelion and he loved it I'll let you know if we decid to go for it.

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 11:39 am
thinking of doing that this year too kmelion, my kids love the idea-thanx
(too bad I didnt think of it the year our theme was 'mixed up and confused')

cl

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 12:27 pm
I love the backwards seuda theme - brilliant!!!
I think I may have 2 make my own seuda this year so im interested in hearing all these cool ideas.
also, do u match ur kids outfits, MM and seuda theme?

bigmomma

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:39 am
The backwards seuda idea is very cute, except for the fact that the kids have been eating desert all day before the seudah even begins. Need ideas on limiting eating of nash kids receive, how to get them to save it??

ltlesmartmom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 12:00 pm
Two years ago I was pregnant. We wanted to tell my family. DH came up with a cute idea. My family ate together that year at my SIL's house. As soon as we knew she was out with her children to send Mishloach Munis to the Teachers we broke into her house. We set the table up. One table had
a lt. blue table cloth the other pink. a pink & lt. blue candle instead of the white ones she prepared same went to the cutlery, cups & plates. hub put on a pink shirt I had a lt. blue.. it was cute cuz I matched to our mishloach munis.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 2:46 am
why do you need a theme for the seuda? mm and costumes I understand, but what happened to traditional yom tov meal?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 3:14 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
why do you need a theme for the seuda? mm and costumes I understand, but what happened to traditional yom tov meal?

Yes

mali

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 3:29 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
Yes Yes

rise above

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 4:26 am
my family always had a theme for the seudah- but not in the food and decorations, just a dress up theme.
my grandmother would choose a theme each year, and every grandchild had to come to the seudah dressed up to match the theme.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 7:34 am
rise above-can you tell us some of the themes she chose?

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:20 am
mali wrote:
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
Yes Yes

you and shalhevet understand having a theme for mishloach manos and costumes? why does that make any more sense to you than a theme for the seuda? is there is an inyan in having a theme at all for anything?????

happy2beme

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 11:07 am
rise above, I love ur grandmother Smile

yes, pls let's hear ideas!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus