Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
TV SHOW IS BEING FILMED ON 49 & 13
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 1:26 pm
Because the story never happened. People tend to think that some of what they see is based on truth. Chasidim are rarely murderers. There was only one chasid back in the 1930's that was actually guilty of murdering many young chasidim. Other than him, there were no other chasidish murderers that I know of.
The only chasidish perpetrators that have been in the news recently murdered young souls, not bodies.
Most chasidim don't walk around with guns to shoot people, no matter what the world thinks.

solo

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 1:31 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
amother wrote:
This episode is a disgusting made up story, of a Rav's passing, and his son taking over. At the funeral, the Gabbai kills the son because he is accusing the son of having an affair with his wife.

Horrible portrayal of chasidim, by tomorrow when everyone becomes aware of this, they may decide to protest this awful filming of our people in such a bad light.

Sure it's all fake, but why the need for chasidim?

But if the same story happened to just random people, or a catholic priest, or the president, it wouldn't be as disgusting, right?

Look, TV is fictional. If you're watching it, you know that. Even reality TV is scripted *gasp*. Blue Bloods is based in Brooklyn. Jews are in Brooklyn. Its a good story for a good show. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that Jewish neighborhoods are crime free. Stop taking it so personally.

But if its about her community then it is personal. To me the premise sounds so far fetched-it may as well be bout a catholic priest or the president. Id be much more upset if the story line involved a rabbi who justified his money laundering operation cuz proceeds were to tzedakah. Or the fact that so many of the matching sweater sets and bugaboos mentioned on this thread were purchased with mizimin.

yersp

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 2:15 pm
I've realized that whenever chassidim are made the topic of any film most of the time we're not portrayed in a good light. The plot of the episode reminds me of the movie A Stranger Among Us. Anyone here ever watched it? it's about a chassidishe guy who was found murdered in the diamond district. A lady detective (I can never remember names, but will remember faces) goes undercover in the chassidish community to find the killer. Ended up being the person you least expected of course, a very quiet girl who's a supposed baal teshuva. I didn't see the signs that anyone on the street might be filmed because I knew to keep away. It's plain common sense that they would need chassidishe people in the background if it's about us.
and no they're not filming here the whole week, I think they're in williamsburg today but not in the center, to the edge of willi.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 3:28 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
EmesOrNT wrote:
amother wrote:
This episode is a disgusting made up story, of a Rav's passing, and his son taking over. At the funeral, the Gabbai kills the son because he is accusing the son of having an affair with his wife.

Horrible portrayal of chasidim, by tomorrow when everyone becomes aware of this, they may decide to protest this awful filming of our people in such a bad light.

But if the same story happened to just random people, or a catholic priest, or the president, it wouldn't be as disgusting, right?

Look, TV is fictional. If you're watching it, you know that. Even reality TV is scripted *gasp*. Blue Bloods is based in Brooklyn. Jews are in Brooklyn. Its a good story for a good show. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that Jewish neighborhoods are crime free. Stop taking it so personally.

Scratching Head

What? Why are you scratching your head?

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 3:45 pm
My gracious! Those are some of the most extravagant, luxurious payess I've ever seen! And the hats don't quite seem to fit . . .

Years ago, before I had kids, I worked in the Loop -- Chicago's business/financial center. The city and state governments were trying to lure filmmakers, so they offered all kinds of incentives, and soon we all found ourselves stepping over cables and dodging various elements of the film making process on a daily basis. Needless to say, the bloom was off that rose pretty quickly! If I recall, it got so bad that then-mayor Richard M. Daley couldn't get into City Hall, and within a few months, everything returned to normal.

It looks from the pictures like these folks have a big enough crew, so hopefully some BP merchants will be able to make a little extra money from the aggravation. At least they appear to be good shtreimel and hat customers: all they want is a "rental" and they don't care if it fits!

sky

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:36 pm
The streimel advice was bad advice - who wears a streimel during the week?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:42 pm
According to some, deborah feldman is involved in this. Couldn't she help them look more real?

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
Because the story never happened. People tend to think that some of what they see is based on truth. Chasidim are rarely murderers. There was only one chasid back in the 1930's that was actually guilty of murdering many young chasidim. Other than him, there were no other chasidish murderers that I know of.
The only chasidish perpetrators that have been in the news recently murdered young souls, not bodies.
Most chasidim don't walk around with guns to shoot people, no matter what the world thinks.

Hmmm. I guess being Jewish precludes murder. Why are you amother, anyway?

Same for this amother:

Amother wrote:
According to some, deborah feldman is involved in this. Couldn't she help them look more real?

I dont think opinions should be made under amother. Neither are assumptions.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 5:32 pm
sky wrote:
The streimel advice was bad advice - who wears a streimel during the week?

Maybe it takes place on shabbos? The stores in the background were shuttered.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:

How do you know what the episod is about BTW?
Is there as summary online?

tissues

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 6:38 pm
You gotta admit - - those litttle boys do look quite the real thing! Except perhaps too long hair: time for an upsherin!

But, no, the men really looked "dressed up". And as someone said, is it shabbas or not? shabbas clothes for some men weekday for others. Women with tichlech and one with a gray turban? The shpitzel doesn't either look authentic. Somehow, they don't even stand right. Didn't it strike anyone how their postures just look "off".

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 6:45 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:

How do you know what the episod is about BTW?
Is there as summary online?

Heard it through the grapevine. I think some people asked and this is what they were told. My DH heard about it in shul.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 6:47 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
amother wrote:

Hmmm. I guess being Jewish precludes murder. Why are you amother, anyway?

Same for this amother:

Amother wrote:

I dont think opinions should be made under amother. Neither are assumptions.

Actually there is another murderer sitting in jail for murdering his wife some 25-30 years ago. Only I think he strangled her, he did not shoot her. Advocates of Webermonster would say she was strangled because her DH couldn't take it anymore. Don't many of us feel like strangling someone sometimes? But only one so called frum guy that I know of is sitting in prison for life for doing that to his wife.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 7:32 pm
yersp wrote:
I've realized that whenever chassidim are made the topic of any film most of the time we're not portrayed in a good light. The plot of the episode reminds me of the movie A Stranger Among Us. Anyone here ever watched it? it's about a chassidishe guy who was found murdered in the diamond district. A lady detective (I can never remember names, but will remember faces) goes undercover in the chassidish community to find the killer. Ended up being the person you least expected of course, a very quiet girl who's a supposed baal teshuva. I didn't see the signs that anyone on the street might be filmed because I knew to keep away. It's plain common sense that they would need chassidishe people in the background if it's about us.
and no they're not filming here the whole week, I think they're in williamsburg today but not in the center, to the edge of willi.

My father is actually in that movie because he works on 47th street for over 30 years already and is in the background in one or two scenes. LOL

May

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 9:33 pm
Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet - what's with the black peyoss and white hair/beard. Even non-Jews should know that the peyoss have to be the same color as the rest of the hair!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:23 am
May wrote:
Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet - what's with the black peyoss and white hair/beard. Even non-Jews should know that the peyoss have to be the same color as the rest of the hair!

Not unusual at all. My husbands beard turned white way before his payos did....

It's very common for payos to be of different coloration than the beard. I've seen lots of reddish beards with dark brown and even blond payos. Black beards with gray/white payos. red payos and brown beard....

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
May wrote:

Not unusual at all. My husbands beard turned white way before his payos did....

It's very common for payos to be of different coloration than the beard. I've seen lots of reddish beards with dark brown and even blond payos. Black beards with gray/white payos. red payos and brown beard....

I was also going to comment that I know a few peoploe with dark red beards and black hair.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics