Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
ISO delicious water challah recipe
1  2  Next

SJcookie

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 10:28 pm
I'm seeking an AMAZING recipe for can't-stop-eating-this-even-though-there's-still-fish-and-soup-and-main-course-and-dessert-coming-up.

I have a few recipes, but none of them have that amazing fluffy texture. Sad

Any ideas?? Smile

pooh42

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:58 am
Hi SJcookie. Here is one that I have used and it is reall good and fluffy. Enjoy.

Fluffy Chala

(You can do this by hand, but I use a mixer)
Put:
6 tsp. dry (I use Bruggeman's brand) yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tsp. sugar
into your bowl, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Then add and mix:
1 cup soda water (seltzer - that's the secret ingredient)
1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar

and mix. Then add 1 kilo (7 cups) of bread flour (can use plain flour if you can't find bread flour), one at a time. Each time, add a cup and mix/knead it in. About halfway between the cups of flour, add 1 tsp salt (apparently the salt inhibits the yeast, so it's better to mix it in when it's not in direct contact with the initial, very sticky mixture.) Keep kneading and kneading until the dough cleans the bowl. Then knead it for 3-5 more minutes. Smear the top of the dough with a little oil, put it in a mildly warm oven with a cloth on it to rise for 45 minutes. Then braid into loaves/rolls/whatever, brush with egg, let rise for another 1/2 hour, and bake at 175 (Celsius) for 25 minutes. This recipe makes exactly enough for my family for one week - three chalot and three small rolls.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 9:42 am
This recipe looks so good I almost hesitate to suggest another one. But Rebbetzin Kanievsky's challah, the one in the biography, is amazing too.

SJcookie

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 11:57 am
Wow, thanks!
Sounds great Smile

Pinkfridge, would you be able to post it, or is it copyright?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:03 pm
SJcookie wrote:
Wow, thanks!
Sounds great Smile

Pinkfridge, would you be able to post it, or is it copyright?

Not easily and it's probably copyrighted. It's also in the BY Cookbook with variations.

busydev

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:12 pm
5lb + 2c flour (approx 16c)
1c oil
1.5 c sugar
2 heaping T salt
6c warm water
6 scant T dry yeast

Dissolve yeast in water. sprinkle a little sugar. Wait 5 minutes
Add remaining ingredients and mix till smooth.
cover w/ saran wrap for 1 hr.
divide and shape.
let rise 20 more min
bake at 375 for 30 min.

We find this recipe to be absolutely delicious and I recently had 2 people ask me for the recipe. both were shocked that it was a water challa. I usually make 1/4 recipe every few weeks (we keep the challos small when its just dh, ds and me) and I use 4.5-5 c of flour otherwise its to sticky so its really more then 16 c flour for a full recipe.

Its usually gone in minutes.

busydev

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:14 pm
pooh42 wrote:
Hi SJcookie. Here is one that I have used and it is reall good and fluffy. Enjoy.

Fluffy Chala

(You can do this by hand, but I use a mixer)
Put:
6 tsp. dry (I use Bruggeman's brand) yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tsp. sugar
into your bowl, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Then add and mix:
1 cup soda water (seltzer - that's the secret ingredient)
1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar

and mix. Then add 1 kilo (7 cups) of bread flour (can use plain flour if you can't find bread flour), one at a time. Each time, add a cup and mix/knead it in. About halfway between the cups of flour, add 1 tsp salt (apparently the salt inhibits the yeast, so it's better to mix it in when it's not in direct contact with the initial, very sticky mixture.) Keep kneading and kneading until the dough cleans the bowl. Then knead it for 3-5 more minutes. Smear the top of the dough with a little oil, put it in a mildly warm oven with a cloth on it to rise for 45 minutes. Then braid into loaves/rolls/whatever, brush with egg, let rise for another 1/2 hour, and bake at 175 (Celsius) for 25 minutes. This recipe makes exactly enough for my family for one week - three chalot and three small rolls.

Is this a water challa if it has 1 egg in it? sounds good tho.

momof2sofar

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:48 pm
busydev wrote:
1c oil
1.5 c sugar
2 heaping T salt
6c warm water
6 scant T dry yeast

divide and shape.
let rise 20 more min
bake at 375 for 30 min.

We find this recipe to be absolutely delicious and I recently had 2 people ask me for the recipe. both were shocked that it was a water challa. I usually make 1/4 recipe every few weeks (we keep the challos small when its just dh, ds and me) and I use 4.5-5 c of flour otherwise its to sticky so its really more then 16 c flour for a full recipe.

Looks yummy.
I just started making challah and have been using packets of yeast. Is this what you are using? If not could you tell me what kind of yeast it is and where to find it.
TIA.

busydev

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:58 pm
momof2sofar wrote:
busydev wrote:
1c oil
1.5 c sugar
2 heaping T salt
6c warm water
6 scant T dry yeast

divide and shape.
let rise 20 more min
bake at 375 for 30 min.

Looks yummy.
I just started making challah and have been using packets of yeast. Is this what you are using? If not could you tell me what kind of yeast it is and where to find it.
TIA.

It is and pretty easy too!
I use the jar of yeast. like redstar. Get it in my regualr grocery store. If the packets you are using are dry yeast then they should be fine too.

heres a link to red star dry yeast as long as you are using dry active yeast it should work fine tho.

momof2sofar

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 1:01 pm
Thanks so much. I'm excited to try it. We love water challah so home made water challah will be a real treat.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:57 pm
momof2sofar wrote:
[\
Looks yummy.
TIA.

The rule of thumb is 1 packet = 2 1/4 tsp. yeast.

Lydia

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 9:24 pm
If you're making bread often and in large quantities, it's cheaper to buy it from a "restaurant supply"-type of store. I think the package I buy is a pound or so and costs about $15. It is more than I use from Pesach to Pesach, so I wind up throwing some away, but even so, it's much cheaper than buying one of those brown-glass tubs from the regular grocery every few weeks. And certainly certainly cheaper than the little packets would be.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 9:34 pm
Lydia wrote:
If you're making bread often and in large quantities, it's cheaper to buy it from a "restaurant supply"-type of store. I think the package I buy is a pound or so and costs about $15. It is more than I use from Pesach to Pesach, so I wind up throwing some away, but even so, it's much cheaper than buying one of those brown-glass tubs from the regular grocery every few weeks. And certainly certainly cheaper than the little packets would be.

My one lb. bag from such a store (GFS) costs 2.99 last time I checked, I think. The warehouse clubs have them too. But hey, even $15 isn't bad, which shows you how overpriced those packets are for regular use.

jkw

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 9:47 pm
Best one I've ever used is Reyna the non Persian bride's video. I use honey and spelt flour. You will need more flour than in the recipe to bind if you use the honey...enjoy!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 10:16 pm
Here is yeast by the pound, and they explain the difference between active dry and instant. They also sell you a good airtight container for the yeast. They also have a "yeast spoon", which holds 2 1/4 teaspoons. These yeasts have hechshers.

Yeast here is about $7 a pound.

They have vital wheat gluten too.

They are helpful and explain a lot; you can phone their advice line.

http://search.kingarthurflour......yeast

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 10:41 pm
Has anybody tried molasses in the egg wash to get the brown color on the challah?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 8:03 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Has anybody tried molasses in the egg wash to get the brown color on the challah?

That sounds like a great idea. Have you read that somewhere or did you think of it yourself?

Vegieburger

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 8:19 am
I like the maple glazed one from food.com, you can skip the glaze if you don't want it sweet.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:41 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

That sounds like a great idea. Have you read that somewhere or did you think of it yourself?

Just me musing. DH brought home a jar of molasses, and my challahs are too pale. Somebody, please try it? I haven't yet. I'm scared to.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:44 am
For a darker glaze on challah, you can use an eggwash made of egg yolks only, with a little sugar mixed in. Using the whites makes it paler.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads