Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Shalach manos idea- no theme
1  2  3  4  Next

SS6099

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 10:37 am
I don't want a theme, just something classy and that looks really nice.
Any suggestions?

bananasplit

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 10:58 am
You can always bake someting and present it nicely, pretty box, container or basket.

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 11:33 am
I'm planning to bake bread this year. No real theme, just a couple of fresh rolls and a bottle of beer.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 11:54 am
My neighbor buys these plastic, disposable muffin containors that hold 2 big muffins (Something like this http://www.cuptainers.com/Food......html). She bakes 2 different muffins, puts them inside and tapes a pretty chocolate and note on top. It looks great.
Anon cuz I don't have many neigbors and don't want her to figure out my sn.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:25 pm
One of my neighbors sent a nice covered dish with mixed greens, a small packet of cubed deli meat, a small packet of croutons, and a tiny container of dressing.

It was delicious and refreshing to have a quick salad in the middle of a hectic day.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:32 pm
I send onion rolls with butter and cream cheese and a small salad and wrap it up pretty. I include a plate, napkin and all utensils. Many people told me they ate on Purim day.

In the past I've included a vegetable soup or fruit soup with the rolls.

I love getting real food - salads are a favorite.

SS6099

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:39 pm
Interesting suggestions!
So what are foods that are enjoyed by almost everyone that I could send?
Some previous suggestions on this topic here:
onion rolls
salad
What else?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 12:42 pm
I want to do something with a mini liquor. I would like to do something simple and elegant but I can't figure what else to put in and how to present it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
I want to do something with a mini liquor. I would like to do something simple and elegant but I can't figure what else to put in and how to present it.
I'm just curious: why are people so enthralled with the mini liquors? I don't know anybody who actually drinks them, they just end up hanging around the house until they are thrown out in a year or two. And I have discovered that most of the time, the givers are sending it in conjunction with one or two other lackluster items, usually in fancy packaging. Fancy packaging does not disguise a paltry offering and mini liquor does not transform a mediocre mishloach manos into a magnificent (or even elegant) one.

This post is not meant to bash anyone. I'm just honestly curious about what others think. Obviously if you give out the mini liquors, you disagree with me. Please tell me why. Why do you like to give or receive mini liquors?

(This isn't about what I expect/want to receive either. Most of what we receive is awful cheapo junkfood which goes straight in the garbage and I don't mind it a bit, except for wondering about the ba'al tashchis aspect of it.)

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 3:15 pm
we ran out of lchaims this past shabbos, luckily I remembered we had some mini whiskeys in the cupboard and they finally got used!

other real food ideas:

rolls, or crackers, and some cheese. (crackers and hard cheese are less likely to go bad if left out of a fridge so good if you want to leave on someones doorstep)

soup is a great idea.

Quiche

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:34 pm
One year I made 2 mini cheese braids with a small organza bags filled w/ little klik chocolates on a small plate and shrink wrapped it. It looked very neat and elegant. The next year I made mini cheese muffins, a small plastic bottle of homemade cappachino, and 3 gold foil wrapped chocolates, closed w/ shrink wrap. It also had a neat elegant look. It was flat, stackable, and easy to transport. And never mind, it was really delicious!!
I would like to make something similar to the past 2 years. Any ideas for a neat milchig miniature, that's simple to make, and doesn't flop? Any ideas for something to put next to it?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:40 pm
Raisin wrote:
we ran out of lchaims this past shabbos, luckily I remembered we had some mini whiskeys in the cupboard and they finally got used!

other real food ideas:

rolls, or crackers, and some cheese. (crackers and hard cheese are less likely to go bad if left out of a fridge so good if you want to leave on someones doorstep)

soup is a great idea.

Quiche

Thank you so much! I am going with one of these ideas. I am due between purim and pesach so I was looking for easy and classy and cheese and crackers is perfect.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:41 pm
I'm curious.

When people send "real food," do they send enough for an entire family? When I hear "I sent a small salad," I think "do I eat that while I'm making a meal for everyone else in the family who doesn't get salad?"

No idea what I'm doing this year, BTW.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 4:43 pm
Barbara wrote:
I'm curious.

When people send "real food," do they send enough for an entire family? When I hear "I sent a small salad," I think "do I eat that while I'm making a meal for everyone else in the family who doesn't get salad?"

If I send rolls and spreads with a salad then it is enough for 2 people.
Soups I send 2 servings for couples (short containers) and 4 servings for families (tall containers).

When I get a salad from someone its either 1 large portion or 2 small portions.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 5:13 pm
Most of the friends I send to are couples with small children or rabbis and mentors many of which are either small families or have grown children. For a few people with large families I try to give an appropriate amount.

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 6:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
One of my neighbors sent a nice covered dish with mixed greens, a small packet of cubed deli meat, a small packet of croutons, and a tiny container of dressing.

It was delicious and refreshing to have a quick salad in the middle of a hectic day.

Of course I'd love to be the recipient of such a nice and yummy SM, but I can't help but think of how expensive that must have been if given to more than just a couple recipients.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
I've glue gunned a mini liquor on the diagonal to a small gold gift box of le chocolate chocolates. Tied a mini card to the nape of the liquor bottle along with a satin now around the neck of the bottle.
Very pretty. Very mini.

Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 11:19 pm
Barbara wrote:
I'm curious.

We usually get one portion. And I eat it because I'm the mommy and I said so!

UQT

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 11:33 pm
As far as the mini-liquors go - yeah it's a waste of money... but my cleaning lady loves me more and more each year. (right before Pesach too - the perfect time)

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:30 am
One year I made apple-strawberry sauce and fresh mini pancakes. Put the applesauce in a bowl that I covered with cling wrap, put the pancakes, applesauce, a small individually wrapped pat of butter and a plastic shot glass of maple syrup on a plate and covered it with cling wrap. We delivered it with a bag of shoco (chocolate milk). Hubby and I wore terrycloth robes. Everyone we delivered to said they loved it since they often don't get to eat breakfast.

A standard I tend to give out when I can't think of a theme is a trio of home made salads (tomato with olives, tabouli, and Moroccan eggplant salad) in small containers along with either a small cake or I'll make cupcakes. Since the actual idea of the MM is to enhance the seudah, this is perfect.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics