Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When did you switch from a car seat to a booster?
1  2  Next

When did you switch from a car seat to a booster?
2 and under  
 20%  [ 4 ]
 5%  [ 1 ]
 30%  [ 6 ]
 15%  [ 3 ]
 25%  [ 5 ]
7 and over  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 9:26 am
DC will be 6 in a couple months. I was certain that by this age I would bump her up to a booster. Now that the time is almost upon us, I'm not so sure about doing the switch yet. (Her car seat goes to 65 pounds and 50 inches.) I've been talking to my DC about this, and she has been very excited about moving up to a "big kid" seat. What should I do? Should I put it off for a little while longer? I feel kind of bad, because I had already told DC that we are switching her to a highback booster on her 6th birthday.

SS6099

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 9:55 am
We switched when my kids were about 3-4. The dr said that as long as the seatbelt goes nicely over the shoulder, it's ok. My kids are tall so it was perfectly fine.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:00 am
I spoke with a few techs who said there is no data that shows harnessed kids are safer when FF than a properly sitting kid in a booster, so I switched my oldest at 6.

3-4 is way too young to expect a child to sit properly in a booster.

The child cannot fold his legs or slouch, or the seatbelt loses its restraining power. My oldest doesn't fall asleep in the car, even on long car rides. My second son is in a high back booster for inner city trips (he's 6) where he won't be falling asleep.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:01 am
Why are you suddenly not sure? Isn't the official recommendation age 4? Is she tiny for her age? Or did some paranoid amother post that her kids are in car seats until age 10?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:02 am
Gp, not it's NOT the official recommendation.

It's the BARE MINIMUM legal age.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:08 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Why are you suddenly not sure? Isn't the official recommendation age 4? Is she tiny for her age? Or did some paranoid amother post that her kids are in car seats until age 10?

Full carseats are REQUIRED BY LAW in Nys until age 4. It's not a "recommendation" to wait till 4 to switch Its the law.

That being said my kids - still young - will probably not switch till much older

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:23 am
So if it's the minimum legal age that means it's been proven to be safe. No?

To me this is like someone asking - my child is two, do you think I can start her on solids yet or should I wait until she's 3, I'm afraid she can still choke. After all, 1 year old is just the bare minimum for starting solids.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:27 am
gp2.0 wrote:

I'm married to an EMT. He has seen so many preventable tragedies in his day. Car accidents have one of the highest mortality rates for children. I've done the research, and have seen the difference between each type of child safety seats. I'm not over-protective. I want my child to be safe. There's no way I'm going to try to find a loophole, or follow the bare minimum. I kept DC rear facing until she was almost 4. Yes, I understand that a booster is allowed at age 4 AND 40 pounds, but if there's a safer option, I'm going to opt for that.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:39 am
She's of average height and weight for her age.

I have already gotten a highback booster. I had her try it out to see if it fits, and it does. I also tried it without the highback, but the seat belt went across her neck. (I'm keeping it in the trunk for now, and use it if I'm picking up a child who is under 8 from school.)

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:44 am
The pediatrician told us we should switch DD (now age 4.5) over at 40 lb. She had another couple of lbs to go, but the carseat was ruined due to Hurricane Sandy turning our car into a swimming pool. We had some boosters in the house from carpool, so now she is in a booster by default.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:55 am
gp2.0 wrote:
So if it's the minimum legal age that means it's been proven to be safe. No?

To me this is like someone asking - my child is two, do you think I can start her on solids yet or should I wait until she's 3, I'm afraid she can still choke. After all, 1 year old is just the bare minimum for starting solids.
No, car seat laws are based on minimum safety. That there will be some 4 year olds who will fit well in a booster and be mature enough (doubtful) to always sit properly in it. Therefore, you cannot be prosecuted if your 4 yo is in one because maybe your child is one of the select few.

There may be a law that a kid of a certain age is allowed to stay home alone. That does not mean that all kids that age have been proven to stay at home safely.

There is still common sense and seeing each kid individually where he is up to and what is safe and appropriate for his level.

The law was made to at least prevent 2 year olds from riding in boosters, but they can't make a law that boosters should be used till age 6, because you will have a 4.5 yo who can ride safely (maybe on short trips).

This is not something that is objective like data for RF being safer, because presumably all kids buckled in a car seat should be buckled properly, and they can't wiggle around.
Boosters are too individual to a kid's behavior; there is no data that can be used across the board because all kids are different.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 10:58 am
To use your example, it's like saying a kid at 4 months can start solids because at 2 months they for sure can't because the gag reflex is too strong. So you try at 4 months and your baby's gag reflex is too strong still. It doesn't mean you should continue, but rather wait till 6. (Or whatever, I'm just giving an example)

4 is the minimum where you can test to see how it works for your child, but most children will FAIL the booster test.

simchat

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 11:12 am
I voted 2 and under, as I just switched my daughter, but now I realise you meant a booster with an adult seatbelt? My dd is in a seat with a back and 5 point harness, so I guess it`s still called a car seat? It`s definitely made for her age, but goes until much older, so I was confused... Ok, don`t count my vote!

melalyse

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 11:22 am
I switch at 6 if I know that they are mature enough. I also heard that safety wise there is not difference between a booster with a back and not with a back. I heard that it is a comfort thing. Does anyone know about that?

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 4:29 pm
melalyse wrote:
I switch at 6 if I know that they are mature enough. I also heard that safety wise there is not difference between a booster with a back and not with a back. I heard that it is a comfort thing. Does anyone know about that?

The difference is where the seat belt lies. If it's on the neck, then they need to be in a high back booster. With the high back, there is an extra slot to put the seat belt to make it sit lower on the child.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 6:52 pm
I don't go by age, I go by size. My five year old is still not in a booster seat, because she is nowhere near the required weight. I don't like it, but until she gets to that weight, or the age of eight, that's the way it is.

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 7:15 pm
my 5 year old is in a ff seat with a 5 point harness. But we let her go in a booster in someone elses car or when travelling. I should check her weight, not even sure if she is close to 40 pounds. She is certainly mature enough to stay strapped in properly in a booster. (she can do up her own straps on the carseat...we just need to tighten them.)

D.B.

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:28 pm
A couple of points to ponder:

1) Car seats and boosters are all rated differently for weight and height. Often the convertable carseat/booster types are rated 40 lbs for a booster, while the lightweight highback boosters are only 30 lbs. You need to know your child's size and fit them properly to the seat.

2) High Back boosters are often times better than the low back boosters for two reasons: they adjust the seatbelt across the shoulder and not the neck to distribute the force of an impact Ch"V, and they provide head support so the child doesn't get whiplash. If your headrests don't come up past the top of your ears, it is very dangerous.

3) In my experience, many kids fall asleep in carpool on the way home from school. A booster seat is not going to protect them as much if they are slouched, leaning, etc.

4) Do note that some latch systems have a limit of 45lbs.(Check your car manual) So if you are keeping your big kid in a carseat that still fits them, you may have to switch the connection from latch to the seatbelt.

Yes, carseats with 5 point harnesses are annoying, take longer to load/unload, don't fit as well three-across, but my children are worth it.

JB

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:57 pm
I do like Raisin except my kid is almost 7 and 35 lbs. I remember getting the infant seat that could go up to 30 lbs and 30 inches - we could have used it for years and years. But now it's been passed down and was just thrown out since it expired in December according to the back and it also went thru 3 kids full time and a few others borrowed it.

JB

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:59 pm
Just wanted to add - my kid is in a booster, we have all types and she can choose what she wants to sit in and where whenever we go somewhere. I have enough of everything thanks to carpool.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics